Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2010 22:00

Dell monitor turns off its USB Ports as well

I’ve been using this 22’’ monitor (SP2208WFP) for more than one and half year now. Its great one with inbuilt webcam, mic, usb ports etc.

However, only drawback I found is when I turn off monitor, it turns off its USB ports as well. This is not expected behavior. I’ve attached my USB mouse through monitor. But when I turn off and turn on monitor again, my mouse doesn’t work and I have to re-plug it.

In another example, let’s say you’ve attached external hard drive to the monitor and some bulk data transfer is going on that drive. You just want to go away for some time, and you naturally turn off monitor... wham!! That turned off USB drives and consequently your external hard drive as well. Just turning off monitor could thus result in data corruption.

Any idea if this serious issue can be addressed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 28th, 2010 08:00

The USB ports must have the monitor on to function. That is by design. The mouse and keyboard should never be plugged into a monitor. They should be plugged directly into the PC.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2010 20:00

In theory, USB ports must have CPU on to function. Monitor button could have turned off only display (which is desired most of the time). Turning off any USB ports abruptly is definitely not recommended.  Could be a design flaw.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 29th, 2010 07:00

Could be a design flaw.
* Nope. It is a design choice.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2010 14:00

The following is for the U2211H dell monitor, wich also has the same problem,(accidentally or wanted, flaw design or design choice, whatever) In the Dell ultrasharp U2211H page:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9271

go to:

+ More Images of UltraSharp U2211H Monitor

and select the image which show you the monitor ports.

There It clearly says:

With four USB 2.0 hi-speed ports, you can easily connect a keyboard, mouse, webcam and other peripherals...

Other peripherals, could mean, let see... a simple and commonly used pendrive. Well, let say that i have a 8 gb one, very common this days, and i'm transfering files to the pendrive, 8 gb takes a considerable time, so meanwhile i may go wherever i want, and so, i turn off the monitor, OH my god, DATA CORRUPTION. Turning off the monitor is exactly the same as disconnecting the pendrive abruptly from the USB port.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2010 14:00

The following is for the U2211H dell monitor, wich also has the same problem,(accidentally or wanted, flaw design or design choice, whatever), In the Dell ultrasharp U2211H page:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9271

go to:

+ More Images of UltraSharp U2211H Monitor

and select the image which show you the monitor ports.

There It clearly says:

With four USB 2.0 hi-speed ports, you can easily connect a keyboard, mouse, webcam and other peripherals. Other peripherals, could mean, let see a simple and commonly used pendrive. Well, let say that i have a 8 gb one, very common this days, and i'm transfering files to the pendrive, 8 gb takes a considerable time, so meanwhile i may go wherever i want, and so, i turn off the monitor, OH my god, DATA CORRUPTION. Turning off the monitor is exactly the same as disconnecting the pendrive abruptly from the USB port.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 06:00

First, I don't appreciate the personal attack! Next time, I will delete your post.

Second, that statement is from marketing, not technical support. Do you honestly think a marketer is going to know the technical reasons to not do something?

1 Message

November 2nd, 2010 11:00

It clearly means Dell marketing and tech support doesn't agree with each other on what they claim or say.  Which further means Dell cannot support what their marketing department tells their customers at the time of selling products.  Now listen, "abruptly turning off USB devices to the system" is NOT recommended, and that’s for sure. We must have to accept it. If your monitor doing it, then its clearly a defect. If you saying "It's by choice" I would like to know from your designers what made them to make such a defective "choice".   It’s very easy to avoid such malfunctioning in the design. And yes, nothing personal here. We are customers we pay from our pockets on the basis of what marketing guys tells us. and thus DELL get business and you get salaries.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 17:00

It clearly means Dell marketing and tech support doesn't agree with each other on what they claim or say.
* Sales persons are only trained in the minimal specifications. No one would have ever thought of a user actively transferring data through the monitor USB port would power off the monitor. That just does not make sense.

Which further means Dell cannot support what their marketing department tells their customers at the time of selling products.
* I cannot speak to what Sales/Marketing say or do. I speak for Technical Support.

Now listen, "abruptly turning off USB devices to the system" is NOT recommended, and that’s for sure. We _must_ have to accept it. If your monitor doing it, then its clearly a defect. If you saying "It's by choice" I would like to know from your designers (and not from you) what made them to make such a defective "choice".
* It is by design that if you cease power to the monitor, the USB ports built into the monitor will turn off.

It’s very easy to avoid such malfunctioning in the design.
* It is not a "malfunctioning in the design".

And yes, nothing personal here. We are customers we pay from our pockets on the basis of what marketing guys tells us.
* Agreed.

and thus DELL get business and you get salaries.
* Agreed.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 14:00

Yes, I attacked you because you attacked atuldpatil. I thought, why this guy was answering in such a way? I only posted because of that, i'm not being affected by this BAD design, i don't need to use the usb ports regularly. atuldpatil question was completely understandable, what you said was like: "I don't care what you think, we design our products as we pleased". There are a lot of ways to be rud, not only a direct attack. You don't need to be actively transfering data. Just use it once in a while, to transfer data to a pendrive, if it is a 8 gb one (ever worst a 32 gb or more) it takes long to finish the transfer, but Why you would need the Monitor to be turned on while you are transfering data? What kind of design is that?By the way i have an AOC monitor that doesn't turn off the usb ports when the monitor is turned off. But i could tell you why this is designed like this, the monitor has a bus-powered hub, so if you want the ability to turn off the monitor and leave the usb port on, you need an extra power circuit with eventually an extra power button for the usb port, and that is more expensive that no having one. I don't buy the products to the technical support, i buy them from marketers, and i have no other means (except web reviews) to decide what product to buy that believe what is stated in the company's web page. Maybe you the "technical stuff" need to work in conjunction whit marketers to guarantee that what is marketed is Real and not a marketer invention. You should, you are selling what is stated in Dell site, i'm, personally, not talking about what the seller says at the moment of selling the products, i'm talknig about facts, i'm talking about what is stated in DEll site, see the above post. 

1 Message

April 29th, 2011 07:00

I  agree with Lanosalf. I found out the hard way that the USB ports would be powered off if you turn off the screen using the power button (I'm using an U2311H) and it did happen to me midway through a large file transfer to my external HDD. One could hardly be faulted for expecting Dell to make a better "design choice", if indeed that's what it was.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2011 16:00

Yesterday, I bought 2 Dell UltraSharp LCD panels and today this flaw hit me. It is a very huge flaw turning USB hub off, when you turn off the monitor. I myself am IT engineer and I "design choice" is pure crap, this is really a defect.

1 Message

January 4th, 2012 15:00

I just found this "feature" on my U2412.  I agree with all the other posters.  If this was done by design it was a terrible design decision.  It makes the USB hub on the monitor quite useless.   I'm an experienced computer engineer and I have to say that allowing independent power control to the screen and USB hub should be quite simple.

58 Posts

January 5th, 2012 06:00

Hmm this is wierd. After having my pre-owned U2410 for about a month now I've watched several threads about the different faults and problems that people are coming across. This one in particular had me interested because I also would say that removing power from the USB Hub when the monitor was switched off was an inherent design 'fault'.

Then today, whilst charging my mobile phone via USB on the monitor I decided to switch off the monitor power and see what happened - and my phone kept charging. So I then switched the monitor on and initiated copying the pictures folder from the phone to my Workstation - this folder is 761MB and Windows informed me there was more than 4 minutes to go to completion of the copy. Straight away I switched off the monitor and left things for 5 minutes before switching it back on. The copy had ended and the complete folder had been installed to my C: drive.

Remember, my phone was connected to the side USB port of my U2410 and the monitor was powered completely off by it's Power switch whereby the Power LED was not illuminated. So I can confirm that the (my) USB Hub remains powered even when the monitor is switched off.

I have repeated the above and have the same results - another folder successfully copied and my phone charging with the monitor switched off.

This can only lead me to the conclusion that the other posters in this thread do have faulty monitors.

58 Posts

January 5th, 2012 06:00

Just realised none of the other posters are using the U2410.

Ho-hum.

My bad.

I need to get more sleep instead of reading these bloody forums.

No Events found!