Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2010 23:00

Display Port issues

I Just purchased 2 Dell U2410 Monitors (for my Eyefinity Setup with His Radeon 5970 and Asus Rampage III Extreme MB) I have the same problem as discussed elsewhere with Mac computers only mine is a PC . if i push the power switch to turn off the monitor connected to the display port during a windows session, the monitor will not turn back on (no lights no nothing!) unless i unplug both the display port cable and the ac cable for long enough to reset the monitor...  this is not good ,  and i have tried swapping which U2410 is connected to the DP Cable,, same fault with either monitor..  something that needs to have a solution (and hopefully there is one ?  both monitors are A02 Firmware assembled in Mexico  DP/N 0C592M ( if this helps.)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2010 14:00

* If the monitor and PC are on in Windows or any Dos mode using DP to DP, and you turn the monitor off
- turning the monitor back on will result in no picture and you must reboot the PC
- disconnecting/reconnecting the DP cable will result in no picture and you must reboot the PC
* This happens only on DP and does not affect DVI and VGA. It applies to all Dell DP graphic cards which affect all Dell DP displays. I spoke at length with the Displays Engineering team. The conclusion is that we could not come up with a valid usage model that would require turning the monitor off while the PC is still on. The monitor must remain on or in a sleep state so the PC video card can continually poll the monitor DP

December 3rd, 2010 11:00

The issues we are experiencing on GX760 and GX780 Optiplex desktops are all about the DP connection.  We use the standard on-board video with Dell P190s LCDs, and the second monitor (in dual configurations) connected via the DP dongle drops off on a fairly regular basis.  The monitor either goes blank, into power save, or displays the "wandering color bars" that indicate it has been physically disconnected.

At no time is power to the monitor interupted, though the PC may go into sleep mode.  Rebooting the PC does not re-establish the connection and the dongle must be disconnected and reconnected.  The PC does give a "disconnect" tone, followed by the "reconnect" when the dongle is plugged back in.  Then, if necessary, the display configuration must be reset to extended desktop.

There are two different manufacturers for the DP to VGA dongles currently being shipped with our machines - Amphenol and BizLink, with BizLink being the suspected cause for our problems.  Is this possible the cause of the problem detailed above?

December 3rd, 2010 17:00

" The conclusion is that we could not come up with a valid usage model that would require turning the monitor off while the PC is still on. The monitor must remain on or in a sleep state so the PC video card can continually poll the monitor DP"

no valid usage model ?? come on !!  it is very often not necessary to have three monitors turned on if you are only surfing the net, typing a document, etc  I use three monitors ONLY for gaming and otherwise ONLY the center monitor is in a "turned on" state.   even if i am downloading newsgroup headers (which could take a couple  hours) i will turn the monitor off by power switch and leave the room for a period of time.

so i am not understanding this reasoning at all, if any other monitor connected with either VGA or DVI cable can be independantly turned off or on, then why is the DP any different ?   why does the DP connection prevent the monitor from turning back on unless everything is totally reset (including the AC)

can you explain what "Polling" is and why it is needed or used ?

No Events found!