Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2003 21:00

Dual Hookup

Ok, here it goes.  I am running XP on a Dell 8250 with a Radeon 9700 PRO.

I have a 1900FP, and I just purchased a 1901FP for the second monitor (I really like the 1900/1 monitors).  Up until today, I had a old CRT running as the VGA second monitor.

Now, I am having problems getting both of the FP monitors to work.  Currently, I have the 1900 hooked to DVI, and the 1901 hooked to VGA. When I turn the computer on, both monitor display the startup stuff and XP booting screen, so they are connected properly.  

However, as soon as XP loads, the one connected to VGA goes black.  I have played with every setting I know of.  Even if I shift the VGA to be the primary monitor, it will not display on a the FP monitor.  I have flipped connectors -- switch the 1901 to DVI and 1900 to VGA, still no luck.  Cloning, extended desktop, neither work.  The 1901 (connected to VGA) has a green light, like it is getting some input -- if I turn off the second monitor in XP, it goes amber.

The only time I have been able to get both of the monitors working is when I turned the vga connection to primary, I had to reboot and do a F8 (since vga doesn't work, I couldn't see to switch the primary back to dvi).  I select VGA mode from the windows bootup list, and both monitors came up cloned.  That is the only time in Windows that the VGA has worked.

I imagine I am missing something here relating to a setting that I don't have right.   I am starting to consider getting a dual-dvi or a pci-dvi card, just to stop the frustration.

So, any ideas? 

Thank you,

Staring at one black screen.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2003 04:00

From what I have been reading here and on usenet groups, this is a common problem.  However, I none of the posts seem to have a solution.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2003 19:00

Well, broke down and grabbed a Radeon 7500 pci card.  Everything working well now.

No Events found!