Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2015 08:00

Dual Monitors

I am getting a used OptiPlex 755 small form factor computer. I want to use two monitors with it. I am confused by what I have read. Do I need  the DVI add-2 card or can I just install an additional video card? I've never heard of an add-2 card before.  Thanks

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 09:00

You will need a low profile video card. A radeon 6450 low profile should fit your basic needs. 

Just make sure the video card has the appropriate connectors for the two monitors. 

Remember, you can convert from HDMI to DVI and vice versa. So you may need an HDMI to DVI adapter to support two DVI monitors on a low profile card. As these cards normally only have one DVI port.

Alternatively, you could have one monitor use the VGA port(analog) and one using the DVI (digital)port. 

You could also have one monitor use HDMI and the other DVI, its would effectively be the same thing as both are digital connections. 

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 10:00

Thank You. That's what I needed to know.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2019 12:00

Im not sure how to find out what type of graphics card i have.  I have a Dell Optiplex 790 and am trying to use 2 Dell SE2416H monitors.   One is VGA to VGA and the other is VGA to display port using a special ordered cable.  My second monitor stays black and says it's in power saving mode.   I don't know what to do?

478 Posts

July 29th, 2019 19:00

Gigi, I use HWinfo, it's a free program and gives very detailed information about all your machine's hardware. https://www.hwinfo.com/
No Events found!