Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 17th, 2008 12:00

Locking desktop icons in place?

Howdy. I recently purchased a Dell 22" monitor (fantastic btw) & have been running it in dual/extended desktop mode with my laptop. Everything works great except when I close my laptop lid or open it when starting a new session. Every time my icons are scattered all over the desktop. As I am a recording musician this is particularly frustrating as I have a ton of shortcuts that need to be exactly where I place them. I've tried locking icons in place. Nadda.Using xp.

Any thoughts people?

Regards,

AB

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 03:00

Try these:

1.  Arrange your desktop icons the way you want them.
2.  Right click on desktop and uncheck View Desktop Items.
3.  Right click on desktop and check View Desktop Items.
4.  Re-boot the system.

1.  Right click on the desktop and select View.
2.  Un-check Auto Arrange.
3.  Click Align to grid.
4.  Click Show Desktop Icons.

Drag your Icons to where you want them.

Finally, here's a registry trick to lock them in place - but be sure to backup your registry first:

"To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange them the way you want, then open up the registry editor (Start --> Run, and type regedit).

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key.

Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box.

After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state."

29 Posts

December 20th, 2008 11:00

Nice! Love the registry hack. FTR-The desktop aproach worked as well. Sorry for the delay on the thanks.

Regards,AB

2 Posts

May 20th, 2021 14:00

No Events found!