ghghghg
1 Copper

Dual screen set-up problems

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Vostro PC. The on-board video output is VGA.  I want to extend the desktop across 2 monitors.  So I bought another Dell monitor (IN1930) to go with my existing Dell monitor (E177FPB).  I also bought a (Radeon) PowerColor HD 5450 512MB DDR2 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card. The card has VGA, DVI-I and HDMI output sockets.  If either monitor is plugged into the VGA output socket they work fine.  However, if either monitor is plugged into the DVI output socket using a DVI/VGA passive adaptor the monitors do not work although they do detect something because they don't go into sleep mode.

My understanding from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface) is that DVI-I outputs analogue signals suitable for a VGA monitor if an adaptor is used. So why aren't they working?  I have sent the card back to the distributer and they have checked it and say it is fine.

All help gratefully received.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ghghghg
1 Copper

Re: Dual screen set-up problems

Jump to solution

Update 28/11/12.

Borrowed a digital monitor. If a DVD-d male to male lead is used then it works from the card using the DVI-I socket. So, it seems that you cannot run a VGA monitor from a DVI-I output despite the fact that DVI-I is supposed to output VGA signals!

Conclusion: I bought the wrong monitor. Should have got a digital monitor. Shame Dell don't offer to help and explain these things.

4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

ghghghg,

"If either monitor is plugged into the VGA output socket they work fine"

VGA socket on the 5450 or the VGA onboard socket?

0 Kudos
ghghghg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

On the 5450. I sent the card back to the distrbutor and they have tested it and say it's working ok.

They are sending it back to me.

Someone else has since suggested that the monitor needs to be plugged into the DVI socket before booting-up.

I will try that when I get the card back.

0 Kudos
ghghghg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Go the card back 08/11/12 (DD/MM/YY).

Installed it, plugged both monitors in (one into the VGA socket the other into the DVI socket).

Booted-up the pc.

The VGA monitor works, the other monitor does not and is not even discoverable by the Cataylsy Control Centre software which comes with the card.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ghghghg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Update 28/11/12.

Borrowed a digital monitor. If a DVD-d male to male lead is used then it works from the card using the DVI-I socket. So, it seems that you cannot run a VGA monitor from a DVI-I output despite the fact that DVI-I is supposed to output VGA signals!

Conclusion: I bought the wrong monitor. Should have got a digital monitor. Shame Dell don't offer to help and explain these things.