Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2010 14:00

Flat-panel monitor compatibility.....

Yeah, I know this gets asked a lot, but the other topics i've searched never really give the answer that satisfying, but that might be because I'm not thinking about it the right way. I want to get a flat-panel LCD monitor for my GX270 tower (hopefully a Dell Ultrasharp), but I'm afraid it won't work. It seems all that's necessary to have is just the VGA port, since I have an older (perhaps the original) video card and so there's no DVI port. Is this right? Other specs are in my sig.

So, I might as well ask this now too, but what type of video card upgrade would you recommend for this system as well? Thanks for any suggestions.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 12th, 2010 20:00

First, change the resolution and tell us what is the maximum. This will help us choose a monitor. What size monitor? How much do you want to spend? If you decide to upgrade, these low end AGP video cards should work.

43 Posts

August 17th, 2010 09:00

Sorry to take so long to reply. I appreciate the help.

The settings won't let me choose beyond 1280 by 1024, and the monitor showed all the resolutions up to that pretty well. My graphics card, I believe, is an Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. I've been looking for basically another 17" just because I don't want to spend too much, but I might buy a 19" or higher if I could find a good one used.

43 Posts

September 6th, 2010 16:00

Recently when I installed a program, my monitor popped back into the 1024x768 setting after restart, so maybe that's the limit. I have seen some 19" screens from the Dell Ultrasharp 1900 F-series (if that's how you refer to them), but I noticed that the actual VGA connectors on the end of the cables seem a little smaller than what I'm used to. Do (relatively) newer VGA cables not fit into the same sockets as the older (circa 2003-4) VGA cables?

I also discovered that if I want to upgrade my video card, I may need to upgrade the power supply too, so the video card upgrade may be put on the back burner for a little bit.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 7th, 2010 06:00

Do (relatively) newer VGA cables not fit into the same sockets as the older (circa 2003-4) VGA cables?
* Yes.

I may need to upgrade the power supply too.
* Those video cards I linked to should work with your current power supply.

43 Posts

September 11th, 2010 21:00

Wow, ok. Thanks. I'm glad I know that now.

October 22nd, 2010 17:00

Recently when I installed a program, my monitor popped back into the 1024x768 setting after restart, so maybe that's the limit. I have seen some 19" screens from the Dell Ultrasharp 1900 F-series (if that's how you refer to them), but I noticed that the actual VGA connectors on the end of the cables seem a little smaller than what I'm used to. Do (relatively) newer VGA cables not fit into the same sockets as the older (circa 2003-4) VGA cables?

I also discovered that if I want to upgrade my video card, I may need to upgrade the power supply too, so the video card upgrade may be put on the back burner for a little bit.

Thanks for your analysis! This is what I'm looking for.
No Events found!