Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2009 21:00

Ghost lines on new monitor screen suddenly appeared

I recently added a refurbished Display,Flat Panel 22 SP2208WFP,Silver,Dell to my computer and initially everything looked fine on the screen. Recently though, I noticed that there are now gray lines that 'ghost' horizontally where there is text. These were NOT there when I initially added the monitor, and only showed up a week or so later. Is this something that I need to call about and have a service tech come and look at? The lines are on every screen, including on the browser screen.

My computer is using WXP latest edition and is having no other problems.

4.6K Posts

March 19th, 2009 10:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

The best ways to find out if the problem is with the screen - rather than your system, are to either hook the monitor up to a different system, or try a different monitor on the system :emotion-55:

If you still see lines with the monitor attached to a different system, or if the lines disappear with a different monitor connected, then your refurbished screen is faulty, and you should request a replacement.

Failing those, the problem lies with your system somewhere.

I'd recommend you start fault-finding your system, by reinstalling/updating the graphics drivers.

What system do you have btw?

And... not that it makes any difference to this particular problem... can you confirm you have XP SP3 installed?

5 Posts

March 19th, 2009 17:00

Of course, you are right Chester. I will try the least tiresome method first, and then decide from there. Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I do have SP3 installed.

340 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 00:00

That sounds like the problem I was having.  I called Dell and he had me reinstall the driver.  I also switched from using the VGA blue cable to the DVI white cable and ports.  So one of those fixed it.

5 Posts

I took your advice and hooked my other [#1] monitor up to the computer where the problem [#2] monitor is located. The same thing happened on the #1 monitor as on the #2 one, so it looks to be a computer problem. Just not sure what it could be now if it isn't the monitor.

The computer that #2 monitor is connected with is a Dell Dimension xps t650r purchased in 2000. It is always kept updated, etc. SP3 included.

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

The best ways to find out if the problem is with the screen - rather than your system, are to either hook the monitor up to a different system, or try a different monitor on the system :emotion-55:

If you still see lines with the monitor attached to a different system, or if the lines disappear with a different monitor connected, then your refurbished screen is faulty, and you should request a replacement.

Failing those, the problem lies with your system somewhere.

I'd recommend you start fault-finding your system, by reinstalling/updating the graphics drivers.

What system do you have btw?

And... not that it makes any difference to this particular problem... can you confirm you have XP SP3 installed?

5 Posts

Thanks. I might call Dell tomorrow. I did reinstall the driver but I haven't tried switching the cables. It worked fine for at least two weeks with the blue cable it has now. :::shrug:::

No Events found!