Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 25th, 2010 20:00

Help with W3008WFP / horizontal bands of flickering

Hello-

I recently purchased a W3008WFP.  It's connected to a Radeon HD5870 graphics card with a DVI-D cable.  I'm running a resolution of 2560 x 1600, although this problem appears in all resolutions.  I am running Windows XP.

The problem I am having is that there are horizontal bands of flickering appearing intermittently with the monitor.  It's never the whole screen, just horizontal bands of varying widths, usually about 4 to 6 inches wide. It's kind of hard to describe, but you know when you're looking at a CRT monitor (for example) and the screen isn't refreshing at a fast enough rate and you can kind of see a "flicker" in the CRT screen?  That's what it is like for this monitor, except that it is happening in horizontal bands and not the entire monitor.  These horizontal band flicker comes and goes.

I thought perhaps that this monitor would have some sort of "driver" that should have been installed, but it didn't come with one and I don't see one in the support section.  Am I missing some software for this monitor?

Any ideas on where I should start to fix this problem?  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with this monitor and not my system because I did not have this problem yesterday with my previous LCD monitor at all.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2010 05:00

Can you post a video on youtube or pictures of the issue? The driver is here.

16 Posts

February 26th, 2010 08:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DD4yhy6nw

Hopefully that link will work.  Now admittedly with a video it looks like the whole screen is flickering, but if you look towards the top portion of the screen you can see some flickering in horizontal bands that is more prevalent.  It's not super obvious, but it's certainly noticeable when you're starting at the monitor.  I would describe it as looking at a CRT monitor where the refresh rate Hz is set too low.  It's like there is a perceptible flicker on the screen when that happens.  But with this LCD, it's happening in horizontal bands and not the whole screen.

I installed the driver thinking that would fix it, but unfortunately not.  I also tried different power cables, different DVI-D cables, and even a HDMI cable, and no matter which input I use on the graphics card and/or monitor, the same horizontal intermittent flickering occurs.  Also, I noticed that if I simply plug the monitor in and turn it on with no cables whatsoever connected to the computer, I get the same horizontal bands flickering against the black screen, so that to me indicates something is up with the monitor and not my system.

Thanks for any input! (no pun intended)

Steve

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2010 13:00

Get it replaced. If you only have a monitor order number, you should contact USA Order Support. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact USA Technical Support. They will need the following data -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Operating system:
Video card:
Video card ports tested:
Reason: 3008WFP Fails Self Test

16 Posts

February 26th, 2010 13:00

OK, thanks!  Will do!

No Events found!