Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2014 10:00

Inspiron 3847, Dual monitor setup?

I'm reposting this question here originally posted with no luck in the Dell Community Desktop-Video Forum. BTW my OS is Windows 8.1 64bit. I just purchased a Dell desktop Inspiron i3847-5386BK and I'm trying to achieve a dual monitor setup with 2 24" Widescreen LED Dell E2414Hr monitors.

The specs for the desktop as well as detailed pics of the computer's front, back, and inside are here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883156238

Basically, the desktop has 1 VGA port, 1 HDMI port, and several 2.0/3.0 USB ports

The specs for the monitor as well as detailed pics are here:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/420579/e2414hr_24_widescreen_led_monitor

Basically, the monitor has 1 VGA port and 1 DVI-D port

The first monitor is already connected from the monitors VGA port to the desktop's VGA port via the VGA cable included with the monitor.

My question is regarding the optimal way of connecting the second monitor. One option is to get a cable with HDMI at one end (desktop) and DVI-D at the other end (monitor). Will the computer be able to handle this double output and automatically adjust to the dual monitors or will it require some setting changes? The computer does not have a dedicated graphics card to my knowledge and my main goal is to use these monitors independently with occasional extended desktop display.

Also, are there better options for the desktop to monitor connection in this case such as a HDMI (desktop) to VGA (monitor) cable? I saw online that cables with HDMI at one end and VGA at the other end could be a scam because it is not possible to convert digital to analog signal without a converter but there were also people saying the this type of cable works just fine. Are there any better options for connecting to the second monitor using the USB ports on the computer? Since one of my monitors is already connected via  a VGA to VGA cable will the second monitor look any different in terms of brightness, readability etc if it has a DVI-D input instead of VGA? Finally, what would be a place to get the recommended cable/converter on the cheap?

Sorry for the long multi-question post, but any help on this topic would be much appreciated and will help others as well. Thank you in advance! 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 15th, 2014 13:00

Computer VGA out --> VGA to VGA cable --> #1 E2414H VGA in
Computer HDMI out --> HDMI to DVI cable --> #2 E2414H DVI in

Once connected, open the Intel HD Graphics control panel and configure the second monitor.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2014 13:00

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for piling on the questions, but:

Since one of my monitors is already connected via  a VGA to VGA cable will the second monitor look any different in terms of brightness, readability etc if it has a DVI-D input instead of VGA?

What would be a place to get the recommended cable/converter on the cheap?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 18th, 2014 07:00

Since one of my monitors is already connected via a VGA to VGA cable will the second monitor look any different in terms of brightness, readability etc if it has a DVI-D input instead of VGA?
* Possibly. But that is why you would use the OSD (On Screen Display) to adjust one of the monitors to match it to the other.

What would be a place to get the recommended cable/converter on the cheap?
* Are you referring to some adapter to use computer HDMI out to VGA on the second monitor? If yes:
Computer HDMI out - HDMI to VGA adapter - VGA to VGA cable - E2414H VGA in

No Events found!