Serial No.: CN-0H8H7G-74261-46B-36GL
Revision No.: A01
Computer Model: MacBook Air Mid-2013
Video Card: Intel HD 5000
Connections on the computer: Mini-DP

Connection used to connect the monitor: Mini-DP

Cable: Included Mini-DP to DP cable
Resolution: 1080P @ 60 Hz

Description: If I leave my monitor off for a prolonged period of time, for example 24 hours over night while I'm sleeping (Monitor is situated right next to my bed) and then go to use it the next day in the afternoon after school, it will not turn back on again without fully factory resetting the monitor. I believe this may be an issue with whatever is providing power to the capacitive power button. This is also frustrating as sleeping with the bright LED on the monitor is a little difficult. Perhaps in the future Dell could release a firmware update that allows the LED to be put into a power-saving "dim" mode.

Thanks again,

TechGuyGamer

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 25th, 2014 07:00

Dell does not test/validate our monitors on apple proprietary hardware and software. The most I can say is that the apple ports are hit or miss connecting directly to our monitors. Some apple users have mentioned that using a thunderbolt to DP adapter has had some success.

apple computer thunderbolt port --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Dell monitor mDP in port

September 25th, 2014 17:00

Dell does not test/validate our monitors on apple proprietary hardware and software. The most I can say is that the apple ports are hit or miss connecting directly to our monitors. Some apple users have mentioned that using a thunderbolt to DP adapter has had some success.

apple computer thunderbolt port --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Dell monitor mDP in port

The issue persists when the MacBook is disconnected and this makes me think it's some kind of hardware fault in my unit. It's not when I try to use the MacBook on the monitor, that works fine. When I boot up the MacBook it brings the monitor out of sleep mode just fine but when I turn off the monitor using the capacitive power button on the monitor, leave it for a little time, then come back and try to turn it on using the capacitive power button, I get no feedback and the monitor just doesn't turn on again. Is this some kind of power saving "feature"?

And I think you have missed my point in my previous thread, the Apple thunderbolt has Mini-DP pins and capabilities, there is no need for a thunderbolt to DP adapter. One can simply use the supplied Mini-DP to DP to plug into the DP on the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 26th, 2014 07:00

No, I did not miss your point. apple says that their port is backward compatible to DP, we disagree based on the many post about their ports on their own forum. They have done something proprietary to it. We have no idea what. For whatever reason, using the thunderbolt to DP adapter fixes many of the issues with our monitors. The power button on the A00 was faulty. We corrected it in revision A01. You may initiate a monitor exchange to get a replacement in there to test.
* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open "FAQ Monitor"
* Open "Monitor warranties and instructions"

September 26th, 2014 19:00

Interesting, I found the issue again this morning. I went to turn on the monitor and it just didn't turn on until I fully factory reset the monitor. I actually own the A01 revision (Or is labelled with that on the monitor) and I only recently purchased the monitor in August this year. The manufacturing date on the monitor is July 2014.

Sorry about the misunderstanding about the mDP on the MacBook. If it helps I can try replicating the issue with a windows PC in the house connected via HDMI.

Thanks

September 26th, 2014 22:00

The monitor is currently set to have DP 1.2 set to disabled as I am not using daisy chaining. I have changed it to DP 1.2 enabled and I will test that.

Thankyou for your help thus far!

[Edit: The MacBook has not had any issues with running with DP 1.2 enabled.]

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 26th, 2014 22:00

The computer HDMI out to U2414H HDMI in may not have this issue. But worth testing. Before you do this, is DP 1.2 enabled or disabled right now? It is in the OSD (On Screen Display) -Display Settings. Whatever it is set to, change it and re-test.

November 17th, 2014 00:00

Hey Chris,

Back again, I have been using the monitor on my Windows PC now for about a month with my GTX 980 and I am still having the issue where the capacitive buttons are not working. i cannot bring the monitor out of sleep mode to change the input to my other computer as the PC is out of action. I am wondering if there is anything I can do at this point apart from send the monitor back and have it replaces/repaired?

Thanks,

TechGuy

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 18th, 2014 18:00

We do not repair them, we replace them with another U2414H.

* Get the monitor exchanged. Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open, "My 24" or smaller monitor does not have a Service Tag"

No Events found!