Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2013 02:00

MacBook Pro + U2713H Side USB and Card Reader not working

Hi, I have just purchased a U2713H only to find out that the 2 USB ports on the side and the card reader aren't working. I use it with a late 2011 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion (all updated). The USB ports on the bottom work fine. Didn't test for speed as my laptop has no USB3.0. Is this normal?

Many thankZ

803 Posts

July 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi zoltansn,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your concern. Please ensure that the USB upstream cable is connected to the monitor from the system tower. This cable has to be connected for the USB ports on the side to work. Also be informed some USB devices like external portable hard drives require higher electric current; hence connect these devices directly to the computer system.

U2713H monitor service manual: http://bit.ly/VOqjbv

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi Satya

Thank you for your kind response. Please note that I ensured the connection of the USB upstream cable (as per my original post the USB connections on the BOTTOM of the monitor work fine, it's just the side panel that seems to be non-functional). I have also tested the side USB ports with various devices that do not require higher electric current, such as USB sticks, a mouse, a keyboard, even an iPhone charger (my phone does not charge from either of the two ports on the side, but once again, it works fine from the bottom port). I also tested the card reader with various SD cards with no success whatsoever.

Can you please advise?

Kind regards

Zoltan

803 Posts

July 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Zoltan,

Please try the below mentioned steps:

1. Check that your monitor is turned On.

2. Reconnect the upstream cable to your computer.

3. Reconnect the USB peripherals (downstream connector).

4. Switch Off and then turn On the monitor again.

5. Reboot the computer.

If issue persists, update the U2713H monitor drivers using this link: http://dell.to/1b2uGru (Open this link and select the operating system installed on the system)

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Satya,

1. I am using the monitor at the time of trying to retrieve information from the SD card. This suggests, that the monitor is turned on.
2. Done. Multiple times.
3. Please see No.2
4. Please see No.2
5. Please see No.2
Once again, as per my initial comment, I am using a MacBook with OSX. If you actually visit the link you sent me you will see NO drivers for OSX. Only Windows ones.
Kind regards,
Zoltan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 07:00

zoltansn,

Go back to the top of the monitor forum and open the 1st announcement, "Concerning Dell monitors and apple hardware".

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 09:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the informative (if somewhat blunt) response, in accordance to the aforementioned post I shall test the monitor on Windows 7 and if I experience the same, I will simply arrange a replacement with Amazon until they get it right (in desperate hope that I do not have to deal with your atrocious customer service ever again). Remarkable little saga about a lousy card reader, reminds me of a colleague of mine who has just decided against an Alienware gaming laptop due to atrocious pre-sale support - gosh, I don't know what I was expecting...

I wonder if LG has an actual support for their monitors, if so it will definitely be worth the £100 extra.

Kindest regards,

Zoltan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 10:00

"if somewhat blunt"

Apologies. It was not meant to be blunt, just informative.

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 17:00

Hi Chris, 

Thank you, much appreciated. Here is where I am at:

I bootcamped into a Win7 on the same Macbook, installed the latest driver (64 bit as per the OS), and the bottom USBs are still the only ones working. Moreover I have since had a system update on the OSX and the image has disappeared to reveal a message: "There is no signal coming from your computer". It's really weird, because

- the Win7 was connecting via the supplied miniDP to DP

- I tried the OSX with a miniPD to DVI converter and a DVI to DVI cable and it worked

- bottom USBs work both systems, side USBs and card reader don't work on either systems

- miniDP to DP does not work with Mountain Lion any more

- I haven't yet tried miniDP to DVI converter and DVI to DVI cable on Win7, and I can't afford the luxury to make an assumption (currently working on the laptop in OSX, so can't continue testing on Win7)

It's a real pity, weeks ago I was thrilled to get this monster to work and now I'm back to square one knowing that as long as I use Apple for my work (long as I exist really), I will never be able to consider (or recommend for that matter) a DELL product. There is one last thing I will try (I am having to use the EDID override for well known limitations of the display) but even if that resolves the issue, the picture quality will be terrible which sort of defeats the concept.

Any ideas before I pack it all up and arrange a pickup from Amazon?

Kind regards,

Zoltan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 19:00

It certainly sounds defective. I cannot speak to what revisions of the U2713H that amazon may have in stock. The A01 did have issues with the Card Reader and USB ports but that was only when the monitor USB uplink cable was connected to a USB 3.0 port on the computer. They only worked but at USB 2.0 speeds. We corrected this issue in revisions A02/A03. Your issue is different in that they do not work at all.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2013 16:00

I have a PC and the Dell U2713H Monitor also. When I got the monitor a month ago I could use the side USB ports but now nothing. I have tried all the suggestions above.

The monitor is on, drivers updated to the latest version, booted monitor PC and replugged all connections,

Nothing for any USB device.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2013 21:00

I solved this problem by uninstalling the USB root hub from the device manager. Then reboot PC and the USB root hubs are automatically reinstalled and the monitor USB and card reader were located and now works

No Events found!