Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 14th, 2003 15:00

Monitor/Resolution problems

Hello,

I have a Dimension L800r (Windows ME). I was tinkering with the resolution settings under Display and wantd to increase the resolution of my 800x600 screen to the next notch and I chose high color, I believe, from the colors area. The systems prompetd me to restart my pc, which I did. Haven't been able to see my desktop since! this is what happens now when i start my pc: I can see the Dell screen and the Operating system screen (Win ME), then when its time to boot the desktop all the adjust button lights start flickering and the sreen stay black, I can still listen to the sounds the computer normally makes when I start the pc. Please help!!!

-Mac79

• 

16.7K Posts

November 14th, 2003 15:00

mac79,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try restarting the system and press the F8 key while booting. You can then choose safe mode. Once in safe mode move the display and colors back to the lowest setting and restart. Once you are back into Windows you can reinstall your video card drivers.

6 Posts

November 14th, 2003 16:00

Jesse:

I see, I'll try that, but before I do, how do I reinstall my video drivers? Are they in the CDs that came with my system? Thank you for your assistance.

-Mac79

• 

16.7K Posts

November 14th, 2003 17:00

mac79,

Yes, the video card drivers are located on the Dell Resource CD that you received with the computer. Take a look at the video conference forum for information on installing the drivers from the resource cd.

6 Posts

November 14th, 2003 21:00

Jesse:

Thank you so much!! I just fixed the problem. Everything's back to normal!

-Mac79

15 Posts

November 17th, 2003 00:00

Hi,

I am encountering a similar resolution problem on my Dell Dimension XPS R400.

I reinstalled Windows 98 on my PC and my monitor (Dell D1025TM)  is down to 16 colors and 640x480 resolution.  I don't recall getting a resource CD to reinstall the driver. On my Control Panel, it says "Standard VGA Driver".

Any idea how I can determine what is the appropriate video driver for my monitor and download it from dell.com?

I was getting my old PC ready to donate to charity but I want to fix the resolution problem before giving it away. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Srini

• 

16.7K Posts

November 17th, 2003 10:00

hsrini,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Edit your user profile and include the correct service tag number for your system. I can then point you to the correct video card for your system.

15 Posts

November 17th, 2003 14:00

Jesse,

Thanks for your response. I have added the Service Tag for this PC (FL6GM) to my profile.

Since my previous email, I downloaded DELLMON.EXE and followed instructions to update the device driver. However, I still have had no luck and my monitor is still stuck at the low resolution and 16 colors.

Thanks again,

--hsrini

No Events found!