Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2008 12:00

Monitor goes Black

My monitor keeps going blank.  The power is still on, but nothing displays.  I turn the monitor off and then back on and I have the display back.  But after 5 seconds or 5 minutes (the time seems random) it goes blank again.  I'm running XP on a dimension 8100 with an E228FP monitor.  I have tried downloading the latest drivers, but it says I have the most recent drivers (dated 6/6/2001).  Can anyone help?

4.4K Posts

December 1st, 2008 03:00

When an item works for random amounts of time and then shuts down, it tends to be a thermal event that causes it, meaning something is heating up and then shutting off.  Unfortunately, this requires a service repair and if out of warranty may not pay to repair.  If still under warranty contact Dell tech support for replacement.   If not under warranty you may want to contact a local TV repair shop or computer repair store to investigate a repair estimate, but it could cost nearly as much as a new monitor.

1.5K Posts

December 4th, 2008 11:00

MyScreenIsBlack

In the monitor FAQ the first link is What is the warranty period on a Dell monitor.

December 4th, 2008 11:00

Thanks Europa, you seem to be right.  If I let it cool down if works fine for a while.  Now if I can just find out what the warranty period is on my monitor.

No Events found!