2 Iron

Re: Monitor won't wake up - Displayport - ATI Radeon 3470

Update:

My system (Dell Optiplex 960 with Vista 32 business, ATI Radeon HD 4370) has worked stable for a week or so, but this morning again refused to come out of sleep (hibernate). At least, the monitor stayed black. The mouse was on as well as the keyboard light, and the HD activity LED indicated there was some haddrive activity.

I tried the trick with the shortcut I had defined in ATI TrayTools to reload the driver (I use ctrl-alt-shift-R), but nothing seemed to happen. I tried as before to send the PC to sleep again (which seemed to work: after a few seconds the HD shut down and the power light started flashing slowly) and then revive it again, but again the screen didn't come on.  Ctrl-Alt-Shift-R had again no effect. I repeated this procedure several times but was unable to wake the PC. In the end I had to turn it off 'manu militari' (= press power button for 8 seconds), and then I could restart the PC successfully.

I examined the system logs but didn't find anything that looks suspicious, except maybe that the reported Standby Incident Time (UTC) and the Resume Incident Time (UTC)  are a few minutes off from the real time. Apart from this, the log suggests that the resumes were successful.

In the DriverFrameworks-UserMode log, I see several entries like the following for every unsuccessful resume:

Forwarded a finished Pnp or Power operation (22, 2) to the lower driver for device WPDBUSENUMROOT\UMB\2&37C186B&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#1&19F7E59C&0&_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_ULTRA_HS-SD#MMC&REV_1.82#000000264001&0# with status 0x0.

I guess that's something to do with the built-in memory card reader in the Dell U2410 monitor. But there is no indication this has anything to do with the video staying blank. Also during the succesful restart of the PC, a similar event is logged...

Anyone any ideas what to do next?

I have a few:

- remove the ATI Radeon and use the on-board graphics generator

- disconnect the USB feed from the monitor so the card reader is inactive

- reinstall the ATI drivers AGAIN, this time using the Driver Sweeper tool to remove the old drivers

The problem is that the problem is so intermittent that it is vey hard to diagnose...

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Update again:

I reinstalled the ATI drivers again, this time using the Driver Sweeper tool to remove the old drivers. The system has run stable for a couple of days, but today again refused to wake up from hibernation.  I noticed the monitor works until the computer tries to put it in high resolution (1920x1200) mode.

Here are the steps I took to diagnose the problem:

Re-sleeping and re-waking the computer didn't help.

Pulling the mains plug out while the PC was in hybrid sleep mode, then after several seconds plugging it back in and reviving the PC: same result: black screen when the PC is supposed to enter high resolution mode. Apparently the PC "remembers" the problematic status while in hibernation. This indicates it is really a software problem.

Next, I tried to log in from another PC using remote desktop (terminal services), and this worked! So the computer is working OK,it's  just the local video that stays black.

BUT I noticed something interesting: during the remote desktop session, in Device Manager, there was NO MONITOR device. So it seems that the ATI Radeon graphics adaptor doesn't recognize the monitor. It is connected via the DisplayPort connector. "Scan for hardware changes" didn't help. The monitor was still absent.

Then, I issued the "shutdown /s" command while still in remote desktop. The PC successfully shut down.

Then, I switched the PC back on, and now everything was OK again.

From these experiments I can conclude:

1) the monitor is not the problem.

2) it is a software problem, or at least a problem that is stored together with the hibernation file

3) it still exists in the latest version of the ATI drivers (v. 9.8)

4) when the probem occurs, the PC thinks that there is no monitor

Sigh ... I hope this gets solved soon.

0 Kudos

Does this also occur with the Dell video card driver? If yes, what version?

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Does this also occur with the Dell video card driver? If yes, what version?

The problem first occurred when I received the PC. Waking up from sleep status was almost impossible. I think the behaviour was similar to what the original poster reports (80% of the resumes were unsuccessful)

Later I installed the update for the video card driver from the Dell support site: R230129 for the AMD Radeon HD3470 256M Version A05

I also disabled the option to ask for a password when resuming from sleep, since according to the release notes of the updated driver this could cause similar problems.

However, I still had problems with waking up the video, although I recall that I had the impression it had improved somewhat.

Finally, following an advice I found on one of the threads in this forum, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from ATI (9.8).

The problem has become intermittent since then (it occurs in about 1 out of 10 resumes)

I didn't find anything in the Vista log files that points me in the right direction, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Is there any log file that registers video problems?

I do know that once the problem occurs, it is 'remembered' in the hibernation file and not resolved by a power cycle. I also know that the problem is resolved by a hot restart of the PC, without having to unplug the PC or the monitor. So it looks like a real software (driver?) problem.

My next step would be to remove the ATI Radeon video card and to use the on-board video, in order to see if it's really an ATI problem or maybe a general Vista problem. However, that's a big step to make and I really like the speed of the ATI card. Plus I paid good money for it...

Next time the problem occurs, I will try to attach a second monitor via the DP-to-DVI converter and a DVI cable, and see if I can wake that one up.

Thanks for your help. I hope we can solve this one.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

As I posted in a different thread, I had the same sort of problems with my Optiplex 960 using the integrated video with DisplayPort.  I tried the Intel drivers up to version 7.15.10.1688, and that didn't fix it.  Also, using a DP->DVI connector did not help.  I finally got an acceptable setup by buying an nvidia card.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19279098.aspx

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I had issues with my ATI 4850 and ATI 5870 cards with my Dell 2709W Rev A00 monitor.  The solution was to replace the monitor, via dell's warranty, with an A02 revision.

I posted full details of my experience, symptoms etc here: http://dominicclifton.name/blog/2009/10/07/1254914880000.html

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

We are experiencing similar issues with our Dell machines.  We have about 80 identical machines:  Optiplex 960 SFF, ATI Radeon 3470 (with dual display port).  We have varying monitors, all Dell, that exhibit slightly different symptoms.  Several of the monitors have been replaced under warranty due to failing backlights (bad batch) so they should generally be on a newer revision.  All machines running Windows XP (except a select few).  Only about 10% of the machines have had an issue we've been made aware of.

Symptoms (may exhibit some or all of these):
 - display flashes off and on again, when moving the mouse or switching between programs (off for as short as 1 second up to 15-20 seconds)
 - display shuts off completely (even during use) and won't come back untl you unplug display port connector and plug back in
 - display goes blank except for message about video settings being "out of range"

Here's the kicker, I've been using one of these 960's for the past several months (long before our other users) and have never had the issue.  The only variables I can come up with are...
 - I never use any DPI scaling and always use the native screen resolution (I'd venture to guess that many, if not all, folks having trouble have adjusted one or the other)
 - I've been using Windows 7 the whole time

Either way, it does seem to be a driver issue.  😞

0 Kudos

Thanks for the notes.

0 Kudos
2 Iron

I do know that once the problem occurs, it is 'remembered' in the hibernation file and not resolved by a power cycle. I also know that the problem is resolved by a hot restart of the PC, without having to unplug the PC or the monitor. So it looks like a real software (driver?) problem.

My next step would be to remove the ATI Radeon video card and to use the on-board video, in order to see if it's really an ATI problem or maybe a general Vista problem. However, that's a big step to make and I really like the speed of the ATI card. Plus I paid good money for it...

Next time the problem occurs, I will try to attach a second monitor via the DP-to-DVI converter and a DVI cable, and see if I can wake that one up.

It's been more than a month now since my previous post about this issue. In the mean time I've had only 3 occurrences of the "video does not come up" problem.  I did try to attach another monitor when the problem occurred, and the other monitor also stayed black. So it is really the ATI video card that stays inactive. I also tried forcing a driver reset using ATI Tray tools' hotkeys, at no avail. Once I was able to wake the monitor by starting a remote desktop session from another PC, while previously this didn't work.

What I didn't try yet is to work with the on-board displayport output. One of the posters above had similar issues even with the on-board video. 

Also, I am still at version 9.8 of the ATI catalyst driver. There is now a 9.9 version available at the ATI website, but the change log is unclear as to whether this issue has been addressed.

This morning I had another, possibly related  issue: the monitor came up,  but stayed very dim. However, when I opened the on-screen menu of the U2410 monitor, this menu was rendered with the correct brightness, so this also seemed a graphics card (driver) issue. In Catalyst Control Center I saw that the refresh rate was 29Hz instead of 60Hz. The drop-down list only offered me the possibilities of 29 or 30 Hz. So it appears that the monitor was not correctly recognized. After closing CCC and opening ATI traytools, the monitor brightness switched back to normal. After the following sleep cycle, the monitor again was "unwakeable". That was the 4th instance in 40 days time...

@jruz: I also always use the native resolution (1920x1200 pixels in my case), but Windows Vista (business) instead of Windows 7.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I have the exact same problem as this. I have XP, ATI radeon 8.263 driver and Dell 3008WFP monitor. It sounds as though there is no clear resolution for this yet.

0 Kudos