Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2009 02:00

Monitor won't wake up - Displayport - ATI Radeon 3470

After my computer goes to sleep, I can't get the monitor to wake up again about 80% of the time. I just have to do a hard reset.

I can connect via remote desktop without any problem.

I have tried pressing keys on the keyboard and moving the mouse to no avail. If I turn the screen off and on, it just says 'entering power saving mode'.

Configuration:

OPTIPLEX 960 MT - Bios version 3
256MB ATI Radeon 3470 PCIe
2408WFP
DisplayPort

I tend to think that it is DisplayPort related. I never had this issue before using other computer-monitor combinations and DVI.

I tried installing the newest BIOS on the computer and installing the newest ATI driver. No change.

Any ideas?

February 11th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for your reply jruz - its funny, because we actually had a meeting with Dell yesterday and we are going to try to populate half of our machines with NVidia cards and take out the ATI display port cards, which i am almost positive is the issue.  Sounds like you are thinking along the same lines.  Thanks for your reply

February 23rd, 2010 14:00

Having this same problem on two Optiplex 960s we just deployed, both with the ATI Radeon 3470 and both with Dell UltraSharp U2410f monitors. Dell Support replaced both monitors, thinking they were faulty, and the two replacement monitors are doing the same thing - stuck in Power Save if you turn the monitor off. Even with all Standby/Suspend options in Windows disabled and Hibernation turned off, these monitors will STILL go to sleep on their own and not ever "wake up".

I'll start by updating to the latest ATI Catalyst drivers tomorrow and go from there. Hopefully I'll be able to report back that we're good to go.

February 26th, 2010 06:00

It looks like the driver update solved the problem. It's only been ~48 hours since I did the update, but so far, so good.

It's worth noting to the official Dell folks here that the video drivers that were installed on our "brand new" PCs were from mid-2008, even though we purchased the PCs last December. 2009.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2010 23:00

Bah! I had just written a long post about our experience with this but I was not logged in and my post disappeared :( Will post later.

11 Posts

April 6th, 2010 10:00

Any luck with the NVidia cards?

I'm reporting back on the DisplayPort monitor (monitor with built-in DisplayPort) - this still has the issue!  Except this issue was the one where the screen would not wake up at all.  I had to unplug it from the DP and plug into the second port.  Then it woke up, and I was able to plug it back into the first port.

We've tried swapping out DisplayPort adapters on our other machines - no luck on that.  I keep trying the latest and greatest drivers, no change there.  The funny (or not so funny) thing is that everthing in the company was quiet for 2 - 3 weeks, then we had a bunch of issues reported.

Next thing to try is using a monitor from someone who does not have the issue and see if it still happens for someone who is having the issue.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2010 10:00

I have an update with the issues we were having.  It's been about 3 months, and the solution was updating the graphics drivers with the latest ones from Nvidia.  The latest dell ones were several months behind the last time I checked.  We update every machine with a Quadro FX3800 (which contain one DVI and two display ports) with the latest Nvidia drivers.  Since doing that, we have had zero instances of monitors connected to display ports not waking up from sleep mode.  Hopefully this helps.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 6th, 2010 16:00

Thanks for the update!

11 Posts

April 7th, 2010 14:00

Good to hear, I really had a feeling a software update would fix it.

Sadly we're using ATI cards, and we've been religiously trying the new ones (direct from ATI) as they release them.

April 20th, 2010 11:00

We do not experience the same issues with the NVidia DVI card installed - The problem is that ATI Card.  Since our systems are under warranty, we are going to get Dell to send us all replacement cards and we are taking out the ATI cards.  The only problem is that we have to use some man hours to replace all the cards and update the drivers in the system.  Oh well....at least we licked the problem

11 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

Throwing in the towel and just ordered ten $30 NVidia DVI video cards off NewEgg.  We'll hang on to our ATI's once we upgrade our network to Windows 7 (doesn't seem to be an issue in that O/S).  I'll try to post back if problem is resolved or persists.

2 Posts

July 26th, 2010 11:00

I would like to add my voice.

I run several Dell Precisions with the same symptoms as have been listed in this thread and other sites.   I have tried and failed for about 10 months to fix the issues.  Dell tech support (at least when I called), was of no help, and they claimed no one else has reported my symptoms.  The guys was nice, but clearly this is a known issue, and support should not make people feel like they are idiots or crazy for claiming this Dell monitors never wake up after power cycle or changing inputs.  Here is some info that I hope helps Dell track down the problem, but I have no advice to help people solve the issue.

Machines affected:

• 1 x Dell Precision 3500 bios v. 07 Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.   Nvidia NVS 295, latest drivers (for everything)
  • 2 x Dell Precision 3500 bios v. 07 Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.  ATI FirePro 2260, latest drivers (for everything)
  • 1 x Dell Precision 3500 bios v. 07 Windows7 Pro (clean install this week) 64 bit.   Nvidia NVS 295, latest drivers (for everything)

I have anecdotal info from various other Dell precisions, but since I don’t even bother with Display Port of most, I don’t really see the issue on these other machines.

Here are the symptoms:

• Power Cycle the monitor, PC won’t come out of Power Save mode.   This is with ALL power saving features turned off/NEVER in both OS and bios (in some cases).
  • Switch inputs on monitor between PC’s, the machine you are switching to shows the desktop, but when you switch back to the original PC with Display Port, on some machines I get a black screen with moving white mouse cursor, other machines get a pure blank screen (power save).   For instance, when I am working on a Dell P T3500 with a display port card, I use a Dell adapter (to DVI) and then into the DVI on my Dell Monitor 2408.   Using the buttons on front of the monitor to move to DVI-1, everything works fine.  When I then want to move back to Display Port, the monitor does not wake up.

All are using display port out of video card, over a Dell supplied display port wire, to a Dell monitor.  I have confirmed problem on numerous 2408WFPb, but also on two different brand new U2410.     If I use an adapter and convert Display Port to DVI, then problem goes away, which is how I have solved the problem (given up) and all but my own PC, which I refuse to do this.     Problem is with both ATI and Nvidia cards.  Problem with Vista and Win 7, with 32 bit and 64 bit.  All OS updates are done, Motherboard chipset drivers updated, Bios updated, etc.

On one Precision, even walking away for 15 mins, the monitor would go into power saves and PC could not be woken up.  This “Crash while idle” problem is more widely reported that the display port issues, but I think they may be related.  Again, this is with every single power saving feature set to NEVER.   Is it a Dell problem or a Microsoft problem?  MS says Dell.  I would bet Dell says MS, but I havent asked.

If I had to guess, it has something to do with the “handshake” that is done for HDCP over display port / DVI / HDMI.   I think that the problem is NOT specific to a monitor / card / wire, but has to do with how all 3 operate together along with the OS.  I think this issue could be solved with software (new drivers), but none seem to have fixed the issue yet.     I have even read this affects Apple hardware using display port, google is your friend.

Here is a trick the may help some Dell owners so they dont need to do a hard reboot, and I am not sure if it has been posted about prior to me.  If you have a dual monitor graphics card, like the FirePro 2260 or the Nvidia NVS 295, you can unplug the display port wire from the video card, and move it to the OTHER port on the video card.   Your monitor should immediately wake up and display the desktop.  Unplugging it and plugging back into the same port does NOT work.  It has to be a new port, or a new monitor, or maybe even a new wire.  I think this trick works because the display port system sees a “new” setup and authorizes it.   When you power cycle the existing setup, or move between inputs, the display port setup "forgets" it has been authenticated, and is crashing due to failed handshake.  For some reason it does not bother to check again, it just blocks the image.   Again, this is a guess, but after 10 months of battling this issue on numerous systems, I think it is at least close to the mark.  

I hope Dell can find the problem soon, or the Dell should back off from Display Port.   Once DisplayPort starts showing up in cheap Home PC systems, they are going to have a million calls from regular folks who don’t want to try new video drivers, new Bios, new wires, etc while troubleshooting this issue.

Sorry if this post is a mess, but if someone at Dell wants to contact me so i can help them replicate the issue(s), I would gladly talk with them.  I am NOT going to be wasting more time with Dell tech support, when they cant even admit this is a known issue.   I see there is a dell rep in here who has confirmed the issue, so I applaud that.   Maybe you can tell the phone and chat tech people?

7 Posts

August 21st, 2010 16:00

Just a home user with all the same problems described in this forum. I have two new Dell 570 computers with AMD Athlon II x4 (630) processors, 6 g ram, with Integrated AMD Radeon 4200 graphics. Windows 7 Premium 64bit ...with Dell Monitors ST2310.

This Monitor wake up problem has been driving me absolutely nuts for a month. I have also tried all the things I read about in this thread, and so far have found only one thing that is presently working...although not all the bugs are understood. This is what is working for me now:

I installed the latest Catalyst Control Center (CCC) from AMD (10-7_vista64_win7_64 dd_ccc_enc) http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=&lang=us&rev=10.7&ostype=Windows%207%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition

Some said to install over the existing CCC, some said uninstall the old CCC first, some suggested uninstalling the CCC and leaving it off and then download and install the AMD driver pack only. I opted to uninstall the old 9.7 CCC version and then Install the New version CCC 10.7 version.

Just remember to reboot between actions, and to open Monitor in the Control Panel when finished and detect and then click OK on the Monitor settings page. Otherwise the task bar may be only partially visible, and screen stretched vertically. I don't know why but had to do this to get program to see Dell Monitor rather that generic something or other.

~~~~~~~

This is the set up presently working for me. I can not imagine a newbie home user trying to deal with this kind of mess, and from the rants I have read on various forums this problem is rampant!

I Ran Command Prompt (Cmd) as Administrator and Turned Off Hibernation, also ran powercfg -a (to confirm that S3 mode was in fact supported)

1. New 10.7 version of ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC) Installed, Driver # 3.0.782.0

2. Hibernate function disabled and Turned Off via “cmd” prompt action (powercfg -h OFF)

3. My Custom Plan 1 (Active) :

Require Password on Wakeup (Yes)

Hard Disk (Turn OFF after 25 minutes)

Desktop background settings, Slide show (available)

Wireless adapter settings (Max Performance)

Sleep: Sleep after (30 minutes)

Allow Wake Up Timers (Enabled)

USB settings: USB selective suspend settings (Enabled)

Power Button Action: (Shut Down)

*sleep button (sleep) This option is relative to some multimedia keyboards.

PCI Express: Link State Power Management (OFF)

Note: This is off because I discovered the following in...

Device Manager >System devices >AMD PCI Express (3G10) filter drive properties> Input/Output Range >Conflicting Device List: 0000-0CF7 used by ACPIx64 based PC.

Processor Power Management

Minimum processor state (5%)

System cooling policy (active)

Max processor state (100%)

Display: Turn OFF display after (20 minutes)

Multimedia settings:

When sharing media (allow the computer to sleep)

When playing video (optimize video quality)

So far, both systems are sleeping and waking OK. I have not tried turning the Link Power Management feature ON in PCI Express because I don't understand the above described conflict.

I have no earthly idea how this is related to the monitor wake up action...but it worked for me so far. I originally posted my problem in the software forum but no response at all...maybe it's because I don't know how to post. Just wanted to let you know this problem is widespread.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 21st, 2010 21:00

Just thinking out loud. For the monitors with a USB hub, I wonder if the setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", is part of the problem? What if you went into the Device Manager- Universal Serial Bus controllers- USB Root Hubs and for each one you removed the check?

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 08:00

Interesting point Chris, but I also have an old eMachines Athlon II x2, originally Vista now upgraded to Windows 7 (32bit), with NVIDIA integrated GeForce 6150SE nforce 430 version 8.16.11.9107 with all power settings normal (Balance Plan). Everything works as designed ...sleep, hibernate, wake up etc.

Never one problem, and it is connected to an LG monitor that has a USB hub (USB's set to allow power intervention).

This old machines flawless performance is what made me originally think it was a 64 bit OS problem on the Dell systems. The ACPI conflict (on the Dell computers) with one of the Input/Output ranges of AMD PC express puzzles me. I should not have to create such a Draconian workaround power plan...especially in light of the old “cheap” emachine performance..

I may try connecting the Dell to the LG monitor with the USB hub causes the problem to reappear even with my existing restrictive Power Plan. Have too many irons in the fire right now. Hope someone else tries it first so I don't have to mess with the wires. :)

This has been the worst problem for me since Microsoft Media Center went south on two machines, the mecpg dlls were trashed on one, but a uninstall and reinstall of kb981087 cleared one up.

Sure hope the root cause of this problem gets identified rather than just disappear via some “silent” update.

Ah...those little vicissitudes of life! :emotion-1:

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 11:00

Chastom,

Six weeks later, is this solution still working for you? I have two 570s with Dell monitors and had spent a ridiculous amount of time dealing with this aggravating issue prior to seeing your post. I downloaded the newest CCC version (now 10.9) yesterday and have since had three successful wake-ups using the keyboard. My latest support call with Dell has initiated the shipment of a new motherboard, which I'd really like to avoid if at all possible. I've already had to set up two replacements of one of the systems due to other faulty parts and I'm running out of patience -- and confidence -- with Dell products. If you're still having success with the solution you came up with, I'll cancel the motherboard replacement and become a much happier camper. 

No Events found!