Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

December 10th, 2008 12:00

My new Dell 2408WFP monitor won't wake up.

Subject pretty much descriabes my issue.  I have a Dimension running Vista.  Computer is awake but I have to hard reboot to get the monitor going.  Pretty sure I've got latest drivers too.

???

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 10th, 2008 13:00

Monitors don't need drivers. You probably need to check the video settings as well as the Power Settings in Control Panel. How sure are you that the computer is awake and not Hibernating or Sleeping? In Deep Sleep and Hibernation, you must press the power button (briefly or you'll turn it off) on the tower to wake it.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2008 05:00

Nice xmas tree. 

Pretty sure its the monitor.  Power settings are set to NOT shutoff CPU.  I was playing music while the monitor was in sleep mode and couldnt get it turned on to access iTunes.

I mentioned drivers only because I did download the latest "driver" from the Dell site and installed.   Before that, Vista recognized "generic" monitor.  As I recall this used to just be an "instructional" text file so operating system knew Hz settings and name but at any rate I just wanted to post an accurate setup for folks to review.

I changed power setting to NOT turn off monitor either, just use screen saver and that works fine, but I would like to powersave if I could.

20 Posts

December 12th, 2008 04:00

Any further thoughts on why/how to get the monitor to wake up correctly?

1.5K Posts

December 12th, 2008 09:00

hotkey

I sent you a friends request so we could talk about this. Could you accept or change you preferences to allow private messages?

20 Posts

December 13th, 2008 05:00

Thanks.  Ready now.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2008 08:00

Hi Jimmy,

Did you make any progress with hotkey?  I have the same issue and it is very frusterating.  Even unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in doesn't solve the issue sometimes.  I'm connecting my XPS M1330 to the monitor with HDMI.  Time seems to be a factor.  I usually hit this issue when trying to wake the monitor up after being in the sleep mode overnight.  I also have my computer connected to the USB hub on the monitor - not sure if that has anything to do with it.

You help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

2 Posts

February 14th, 2009 14:00

Hi Jimmy,

Any progress on this issue?

Thanks,

Andrew

1.5K Posts

February 16th, 2009 14:00

He was suppose to be talking with one of our engineers but I haven't heard anything.

February 16th, 2009 22:00

I have the exact same problem.  2408WFP Won't wake up when expected, I must reboot the Dell Dimension E510 just to reacquire the monitor signal.  I first noticed the problem when simply turning off the monitor by pushing its power button.  Pushing the power button again with the expectation of getting the previous signal, no matter if it was the desktop, any application, or windows screen saver, only yields the message, "no signal - entering power save" or something very similar.  I have installed the correct 2408 driver from the dell support site.  Trying to change sources while the monitor is still powered on produced the same problem as well.  I didn't think that the monitor communicated anything about its state (on, off, sleep, which display source, etc...) back to the display adapter via the DVI cable.  However, this problem never occured with the previous Dell Dimension 8300 that this 2408WFP used to be used with, it was never a problem to simply power the monitor off, walk away for any amount of time, then come back and power it back on and always get the expected wake state of the monitor - if the monitor even has such a state, but that seems to be the case based on its behavior.  Display Adapter is a Radeon X300 SE 128MB (yeah, its cheap), and this is the first problem I've encountered.  Never had this problem with the previous monitor (a Dell 21" normal aspect ration 2203WFP or something).  I had first checked ATI's support info, but no mention of this problem - resulting in the conclusion that it is either just the monitor, or the interaction of the monitor with the display.  I simply don't know what factors are important to consider when trying to troubleshoot this problem.  I've checked to make sure all drivers are up to date in the device manager.  I've eliminated Windows as a concern by turning off all the Power ave features it uses through the control panel and also for options of the screen saver.  I've even checked all of the options in the BIOS for peripherals just to be sure.  There must be other factors which need to be considered, what are they?

20 Posts

February 17th, 2009 04:00

With this added claim there really is a bug.  I would look to Dell to get it fixed now that we know its not just 1 man's ramblings.  I'm sure someone could suggest and send a moderate priced video card we could try.  Please keep working on this.

47 Posts

February 17th, 2009 10:00

mine does the same too.

after i put pc on standby. computer wakes up but no signal to monitor. there is no wrong with the monitor it s ur bios/mobo

try this: if i put my pc on hibernate it does wake up

i called asus and they told me to roll back bios drivers. no luck yet

mean while i do not put computer on standby, jut hibernate

20 Posts

February 17th, 2009 10:00

I have talked with Yoko but problem remains unresolved.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2009 09:00

Have you seen this thread?  Looks like it might be the graphics card.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/18936626.aspx

4 Posts

I was about to order one of these but after reading this thread, I'm waiting (hoping) for Dell to post a reply.  I also have the old and cheap Radeon X300 SE 128MB display card.   

20 Posts

Smart play.  I'm not sure if anyone is still working on it for us.  They offered to echange a 27" for my 24" but specs looked like a lesser monitor.

No Events found!