Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2016 04:00

Mysteriously broken Dell U3415W

Hi All,

I am wondering if you can help - I have had a Dell U3415W for just over a year now and have loved using it. The size and everything is perfect, plenty of high-resolution real estate.

However, yesterday morning I was using the monitor just fine. Went to work and when I got back into the house, I found the following.

Completely confused by the issue, how does this happen? Out of pure frustration I poked the monitor as hard as I could, even got my car key and "stabbed" the unit. But couldn't get it to break in the same way.

Do these things do this all by themselves? If not, what tends to cause this problem?

Thank you,

Arestes

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 15th, 2016 07:00

If you had not "got my car key and stabbed the unit", Dell could have assisted with troubleshooting and if found faulty, replaced it while under warranty. But the act of stabbing the panel with a car key is considered "customer caused damage". This is not covered by the Dell warranty. So at this point, we cannot know why the original issue happened. All you can do now is use the monitor and hope that the issue does not return and that the stabbing of the panel did not break it. If it did break it, all you can do is replace it.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2016 08:00

Hi Chris,

I understand your reponse, the confusing this is my efforts to replicate the problem cause no damage to the dell and there is still not a single scratch or mark on the unit. Hence my confusion afterwards as to how it happened.

For example, if an iPhone is dropped but no a single mark is left behind and then at a later date the phone goes faulty (i.e. two events aren't linked), apple couldn't turn around and say "well at some point it must have been dropped..

So, I don't believe the act of trying to (unsuccessfully) replicate the fault would have any impact on the warranty as there is still no sign of anything untoward on the unit. The photos were taken post poking, by the way.

Is there a schematic of the monitor? Could have been a capacitor / resistor which has given way and caused the specific fault?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 15th, 2016 18:00

I cannot speak to the ethical or moral implications of the apple scenario. I can only speak to what was stated by you concerning this monitor. We do not have an internal component schematic. We at Dell do not repair monitors. We simply exchange them. All repair is done at the manufacturer.

No Events found!