Matt Ellis
1 Nickel

Need recommendation for graphics card for dual monitor (3007 + rotated 2007) setup - current card has poor performance

I've been using a PCIe Radeon 3600 Dual DVI-dual-channel card to drive my monitors in the above configuration - that's a Dell 3007WFP at 2560 x 1600 on one port, and a rotated Dell 2007WFP at 1200 x 1600 on the second port.  This is all under Windows XP SP3.  I have had constant problems with screen artifacts remaining behind after windows were moved. 

I switched to a Radeon 4350  card with a DVI-Dual-Link connector (for the 3007) and a VGA connector for the 2007.  This works, but screen refreshes are slow - dragging a window around leaves trails behind that take a while to go away.  Screen redraws are slow. 

I suspect some of the screen redraw slowness is due to the rotated screen.  I don't know whether to try a newer ATI-based card (Radeon HD57750 or HD5770) or to switch to another manufacturer.  Gaming is not a consideration - work is 98% 2D applications with some occasional video - just moving around lots of windows.  Cost is important - I'd prefer to stay under $200.  Any expertise out there?  Any suggestions for where to spend my graphics card $$?

Matt Ellis

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Need recommendation for graphics card for dual monitor (3007 + rotated 2007) setup - current card has poor performance

First thing I would do is turn off trails.

* Click Start- (Settings)- Control Panel
* Click Display- Appearance- Effects
* Uncheck all except for smooth font edges (choose ClearType)
* Click OK- Apply- Ok

Test it

0 Kudos