Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 18th, 2009 19:00

New Dell U2410f arrived today...

It looks great. No dead pixels that I can see. Overwhelming brightness...have to adjust this, and the contrast.

Has anyone seen posts about this monitor that show the adjustments that were made...please let me know.

2.1K Posts

September 19th, 2009 22:00

Suggest you Google the reviews of the U2410. Some I've read do mention particular software apps used to calibrate the display. Have you tried the default setting just to make sure it is set to it?

7 Posts

September 20th, 2009 05:00

I assumed it was at 'default' setting when I turned it on. No? From there, as I said, I reduced 'brightness' significantly. It is still very bright. I'm very happy w/ it so far. Played game 'Call of Duty-WaW' yesterday... can you spell 'TOTAL IMMERSION' ?!?!

6 Posts

September 20th, 2009 09:00

Hi! I have the same monitor since a few days. I wanted to use the PIP or PBP mode with DVI-D and HDMI as the two sources, but the monitor does not allow it (neither 2xDVI-D)! I can only select from VGA, DP, Component or Composite for the secondary picture in case of the main screen's source is DVI-D or HDMI.

The documentation does not mention this restriction.

Could you please try and confirm or deny it?

2.1K Posts

September 20th, 2009 10:00

Hi! I have the same monitor since a few days. I wanted to use the PIP or PBP mode with DVI-D and HDMI as the two sources, but the monitor does not allow it (neither 2xDVI-D)! I can only select from VGA, DP, Component or Composite for the secondary picture in case of the main screen's source is DVI-D or HDMI.

The documentation does not mention this restriction.

Could you please try and confirm or deny it?

Since this is a new product I'd suggest you send a private message to moderator Chris-M with your question here:

http://en.community.dell.com/members/DELL_2D00_Chris-M/default.aspx

2.1K Posts

September 20th, 2009 11:00

I assumed it was at 'default' setting when I turned it on. No? From there, as I said, I reduced 'brightness' significantly. It is still very bright. I'm very happy w/ it so far. Played game 'Call of Duty-WaW' yesterday... can you spell 'TOTAL IMMERSION' ?!?!

If true color match between a displayed image and a printed copy isn't a priority you could manually adjust your display settings using a free online monitor calibration web site (Google LCD monitor calibration). There's also a sub-$50 application (don't remember the name of it) I've seen mentioned among the Google search sites I read.

As for gaming , bright or otherwise, with the scalability and color gamut of this monitor (vs the 2408) plus the height, tilt, swivel adjustments I want I've already decided on this monitor.....but just waiting for the next sale coupon.....if I can hold out that long... :emotion-5:

7 Posts

September 20th, 2009 16:00

I got it for @ $479. w/ the 20% coupon.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 15:00

It looks great. No dead pixels that I can see. Overwhelming brightness...have to adjust this, and the contrast.

Has anyone seen posts about this monitor that show the adjustments that were made...please let me know.

If you still feel there is something not fine with it regarding this, you will probably be interested in that this monitor is factory-calibrated to a gamma value of about 1.8 (in "PC" mode, it's even lower in "MAC" mode), which is considered to be somewhat low (causing that the halftones be a bit too bright). The usually recommended value is 2.2. You can verify this using the test-image here.

There is no problem, you can adjust the gamma on the computer, as well. It can be done usually in the graphics card driver.

(If you want to be more precise, you can make an appropriate ICC color profile. It can be generated specifically to your monitor using a little color calibrator equipment. It has other benefits, as well. It's not cheap, but perhaps you can find someone with one.)

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 16:00

Dezz02 and VCraig...

Thx for these detailed posts....I know quite a bit about computers, but monitors are a whole different ballgame!

First time today I tried 'gaming mode' playing COD-WaW... seemed even better.

6 Posts

September 28th, 2009 17:00

I've found out in the meantime that the Adobe RGB and sRGB modes has their right, default gamma values. So, those are not as bright-ish as the Standard one.

No Events found!