Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 09:00

New G2410 Won't Power On After Being Powered Off for Some Time

I have a brand new G2410 running off of a GeForce 7200 GS chipset via DVI (as well as two Viewsonic VP930b's on the same machine - one on the 7200 GS (via VGA) and one via a GeForce 4 MX 440 (via VGA)).  There is nothing plugged into the VGA port of the G2410.  I'm running the latest drivers for both video cards.  This machine is running XP SP3.  My monitor's s/n is CN-0U334K-74445-95G-AF5U Rev A01.

Usually at night I will power off the monitors manually via their buttons.  1 out of 3 times or so when I come in in the morning, I cannot power on the G2410.  No buttons on the display are responsive, nothing is illuminated. 

• Unplugging and reconnecting the power does not allow you to power up the monitor.
  • Unplugging and reconnecting the DVI does not allow you to power up the monitor.
  • Only unplugging the DVI and power cables so they are both disconnected at the same time, then plugging them back in, allows you to power up the monitor.

This entire setup worked fine previously with a Samsung 24" monitor for 1 yr + until a row of pixels gave up the ghost, hence the G2410 replacement.  I currently have a refurb replacement from Dell that exhibits the same problem.

I was unable to find the G2410 drivers, so the above was with the MS Plug and Play driver.  I found the drivers via one of Chris M's posts, and have installed them (FWIW, the Dell link is broken - it downloads the DellDriverDownloadManager.app only - so I had to go find it by name on the FTP server) - so perhaps that will remedy the problem.

Any ideas?  Please advise.  I will report back if the drivers look like they have solved the problem (may take days to reproduce).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 6th, 2009 07:00

ibcj,

Does the same issue occur if using the G2410 VGA?

4 Posts

August 6th, 2009 09:00

Not sure yet.  It wouldn't power up this morning (this is running off of DVI and with the proper G2410 drivers installed) - so drivers haven't solved the problem.  I switched over to using the VGA port, and we'll see how it does over the next couple days.

Any idea yet what might be causing this on the DVI port?  Ultimately I won't want to run this display from VGA, and will want to use the DVI port anyway...

Thanks for your response Chris.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 6th, 2009 11:00

I am not sure. I sent this to the displays team to try to reproduce the issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 11th, 2009 06:00

Can you test the G2410 on the other video card DVI and also the VGA? Did that 7200GS come from Dell?

4 Posts

August 11th, 2009 09:00

So far it has been working fine on the VGA port (no issues with it getting stuck).  The 7200GS did not come from Dell.  I only have one DVI port in this machine, but have a GeForce 6200 sitting on my desk that I bought to replace the MX 440 - so I'll have additional DVI options with that card.  I wasn't going to install it until I was relatively sure that the monitor worked via the VGA port however.  Please advise.

1 Message

August 11th, 2009 19:00

I've got the same problem, except with a GeForce 8800GTX. Here's what I find causes the problem:

1. turn the monitor off, and leave the system for 6 or 7 hours

2. wake up the system by moving the mouse or pressing a key

3. press the power button. It will be nonresponsive.

If you unplug the DVI cable, power on the monitor, then plug the DVI cable back the monitor will work. The best workaround I've found so far is to turn the monitor on BEFORE waking up the system. If you do, things will work properly.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 12th, 2009 09:00

Try the GeForce 6200 DVI.

1 Message

August 18th, 2009 22:00

I'm having similar difficulties.  I've had the G2410 for three days and sometimes it will not turn on.  The on/off button is comletely nonresponsive and is not lit (orange or blue).  A reboot will get it working, but not a long term solution.  It is connected via DVI to a Geforce 7900GS.

59 Posts

September 19th, 2009 18:00

Just wondering if anyone found a solution for this problem?

If I turn the monitor off at the mains overnight, it will not come back on after switching the mains back on in the morning.

I can get the monitor working again by unplugging the DVI cable, switching on the monitor, then plugging in the DVI cable as ijeaston described.

It would be nice if there was an easier fix though.

Trying the VGA input is not an option, as my Dell XPS 420 only has DVI outputs.

Thanks, Paul W

59 Posts

September 20th, 2009 14:00

Well I found that switching the power off while my G2410 was in standby mode solved this for me.

Once it was switched off in standby, then when I turned on the mains in the morning, it would power up straight away.

Paul

2 Posts

December 7th, 2009 18:00

Anyone find an answer to this?  I bought a G2410 a couple weeks ago and found it in an off state requiring a few seconds unplugged to get it to turn back on.  Conditions are exactly as stated above.  It is a Dell XPS 420 with Nvidia 275 card.  I'm already a bit disappointed in the display so hoping this isn't another problem I need to deal with.  I have a Samsung 24" syncmaster side by side and it makes this monitor look dull right out of the box.  I don't know what those guys at CNET were thinking during their post.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2009 09:00

Jason:

I was unable to find a "solution", but have found that I was able to fix the problem by using the DVI on the 6200.  It seems to be working fine now.  I'd like to try switching it back to the DVI on the 7200 to see if it still locks up there.  But honestly, once I got it working, I slowly backed away from the machine and have left it in a decent running state.

FWIW, I agree with you about the panel itself.  At the time, for $180 it was hard to beat.  However, I have a 2408 at home, and will probably replace my G2410 at the office with one.  :-\

December 31st, 2009 18:00

I'm having the same problem with the Dell G2410 monitor.

When switching off the monitor using the power button and leaving it for a while it won't turn back on. I'm using the DVI connection.

The previous monitor was a Asus 17" which was also connected via DVI and had no problem.

Disconnecting the DVI and then plugging in the power connector with DVI disconnected seems to bring the G2410 alive again.

Then plug the DVI connector in and everything works again.

I've recently plugged it into a UPS (APS 650). When the problem occurs I've bypassed the UPS but no change.

It's like the signal on the DVI connector is preventing the power up button from working.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 31st, 2009 19:00

All,

(1) Rather than letting the PC go into standby/hibernate mode, if you do a normal Restart or Shutdown while the windows desktop is still up and running, does the monitor always work after the bootup is finished?
(2) When connected to VGA only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work?
(3) When connected to DVI only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, press the monitor power button off, then on. Then move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work? (Seems to fail for all, just making sure)

mriehle, what operating system?
pbryanw, what operating system and video card?

January 1st, 2010 04:00

OS is Windows XP SP2

Graphics card is Nvidia 8600 GT.

UPS is APC 650

I've recently switched the G2410 to "Standard" energy mode.

When the problem occurs I've tried plugging direct mains in rather than the UPS - no change.

No Events found!