pbryanw
1 Nickel

Re: New G2410 Won't Power On After Being Powered Off for Some Time

Well I found that switching the power off while my G2410 was in standby mode solved this for me.

Once it was switched off in standby, then when I turned on the mains in the morning, it would power up straight away.

Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
JasonTD1
1 Copper

Anyone find an answer to this?  I bought a G2410 a couple weeks ago and found it in an off state requiring a few seconds unplugged to get it to turn back on.  Conditions are exactly as stated above.  It is a Dell XPS 420 with Nvidia 275 card.  I'm already a bit disappointed in the display so hoping this isn't another problem I need to deal with.  I have a Samsung 24" syncmaster side by side and it makes this monitor look dull right out of the box.  I don't know what those guys at CNET were thinking during their post.

0 Kudos
ibcj
1 Copper

Jason:

I was unable to find a "solution", but have found that I was able to fix the problem by using the DVI on the 6200.  It seems to be working fine now.  I'd like to try switching it back to the DVI on the 7200 to see if it still locks up there.  But honestly, once I got it working, I slowly backed away from the machine and have left it in a decent running state.

FWIW, I agree with you about the panel itself.  At the time, for $180 it was hard to beat.  However, I have a 2408 at home, and will probably replace my G2410 at the office with one.  😕

0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem with the Dell G2410 monitor.

When switching off the monitor using the power button and leaving it for a while it won't turn back on. I'm using the DVI connection.

The previous monitor was a Asus 17" which was also connected via DVI and had no problem.

Disconnecting the DVI and then plugging in the power connector with DVI disconnected seems to bring the G2410 alive again.

Then plug the DVI connector in and everything works again.

I've recently plugged it into a UPS (APS 650). When the problem occurs I've bypassed the UPS but no change.

It's like the signal on the DVI connector is preventing the power up button from working.

0 Kudos

All,

(1) Rather than letting the PC go into standby/hibernate mode, if you do a normal Restart or Shutdown while the windows desktop is still up and running, does the monitor always work after the bootup is finished?
(2) When connected to VGA only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work?
(3) When connected to DVI only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, press the monitor power button off, then on. Then move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work? (Seems to fail for all, just making sure)

mriehle, what operating system?
pbryanw, what operating system and video card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

OS is Windows XP SP2

Graphics card is Nvidia 8600 GT.

UPS is APC 650

I've recently switched the G2410 to "Standard" energy mode.

When the problem occurs I've tried plugging direct mains in rather than the UPS - no change.

0 Kudos

SheilaWarburton,

Please test the following -
(1) Rather than letting the PC go into standby/hibernate mode, if you do a normal Restart or Shutdown while the windows desktop is still up and running, does the monitor always work after the bootup is finished?
(2) When connected to VGA only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work?
(3) When connected to DVI only, and the PC and monitor are in standby/hibernate mode, press the monitor power button off, then on. Then move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to awaken the PC. Does the monitor work? (Seems to fail for all, just making sure)

0 Kudos

The computer is permanently busy performing video encoding - it's never in standby or hibernate mode. Hibernate is disabled.

Some of the HD encodes take 4 or 5 hours or more so the monitor is off for most of the time.

0 Kudos
JasonTD1
1 Copper

To me this is clearly an issue with the monitor itself.  Here are some data points from my system

1) NVidia 275 (new version)

2) Dell 420 that I've upgraded with the video card.  This issue happened before and after the card was upgrade from the original 8800GT.

3) I had this issue with my prior install of Windows Vista (all latest revs) and have it with my new Win 7 installation on all latest revs

4) I am running in DVI mode and VGA is not an option due to image quality.

5) The screen never turns back on no matter what keys or mouse combo I try and requires a 30-60 second unplug before I can replug to turn it on. 

6)  This problem never occurs from a hard restart on the computer.  It only happens when I walk away with the screens off and they turn off.  I do not use any hibernating or sleep functions in the OS.

7) I ran dual screens with a Dell 1907FPt (I replaced it since the power button stopped working and had to plug/unplug it to turn on/off - quality trend??) and never had an issue.  I've run dual screens for the last 8 years on various systems and have never seen this type of issue either.

This seems like an easy problem to replicate.  Why not you ask for purchase information to trace lots and figure out if it is a quality defect or a product defect?  From the number of posters this isn't an isolated incident and there are probably many people who haven't yet found the forum to post.  I'm hoping the service / support on this issue picks up pace.  This is incentivizing me to buy only from stores where I can walk defective product back to the return desk.  Understand that half the time I use my computer I now get a poor customer experience waiting to get one of my Dell FP screens reset.  That is a rapidly building negative company image and likely many other people are similar.  Thankfully it isn't my primary and my Samsung has no issues.

0 Kudos
specter3
1 Copper

This happened to me half an hour ago. I had the monitor for a few weeks and this is the first time when this happens. I unplugged the power cable and the DVI cable and it came back to life. There is clearly an issue going on here. This is the second I time I buyed a Dell monitor but I think it the last time also for me unless they will replace my monitor.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos