Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2014 17:00

New U2412M with green lines and other glitches

I just bought a U2412M for use as a secondary monitor, but when in use there are quite a few green flickering dotted lines across the screen; I've also noticed persistent horizontal white lines in areas of gray. I would assume this is a driver issue, but I've since updated drivers for the video card (NVidia GeForce GT 540M on an ASUS A53S laptop running Win 7) and monitor itself--no change at all to the glitching.

Note that I have an older 2405 FWP at home that works great as a secondary monitor.

Thank you for your time.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 8th, 2014 23:00

Doesn't the laptop have a VGA out port? If yes, test in this way =

Laptop VGA out --> VGA to VGA cable --> U2412M VGA in

5 Posts

November 8th, 2014 17:00

I should add that I'm connecting using the new DVI-D that came with the monitor and a DVI-D to HDMI converter I ordered with it (the same setup I normally use with my other external monitor at home--I'm on the road right now and needed a second monitor).

5 Posts

November 8th, 2014 18:00

Pretty much reached a dead end with my own troubleshooting efforts, which are implying that it's a driver issue.

The monitor's self-test shows that it's not a monitor hardware problem, as does the fact that the glitching is associated with on-screen OS elements. But if all the drivers are up to date and the problem persists, what else can be done besides return the monitor?

5 Posts

Wow, I've been using HDMI for many years now and simply expected to continue using it, so the only thing I hadn't tried yet was a VGA connection. The laptop does have one, and it works great! Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried all the drivers I possibly could from the laptop OEM versions to the latest from nVidia and the HDMI connection simply does not show properly.

(As to my other question about an online support tag, I had seen the stickied post about support for <24" monitors, but I thought that was only for warranties and exchanges, while I was looking for technical support. It's very difficult to get useful phone support here, because I bought this monitor while traveling and don't speak the local language).

5 Posts

How am I supposed to get technical support chat for a monitor without a service tag? It would seem all the internet-based help service, including even e-mail support, require a tag. I'm traveling in a different country and ordered a U2412M specifically for a couple weeks of work that start tomorrow, and the monitor apparently has some technical issue that needs to be resolved ASAP (glitches).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Correct, all online services require a service tag number. If you purchased it directly from Dell, you got a Dell order number which is tied to the country in which you purchased it. So you must call into Dell Customer Service for that country. Give them the Dell order number and then they can assist you.
* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open, "My 24" or smaller monitor does not have a Service Tag"

No Events found!