Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2013 09:00

New U3014 Rev03 received!

....from either Dell.ca or Dell.com?

10 Posts

December 12th, 2013 09:00

Looks like I can answer my own question.

I received a brand new rev03 yesterday, ordered from Dell.ca (this monitor comes from the US warehouse) on Dec 2.

Good times. 

77 Posts

December 12th, 2013 19:00

How's the monitor? Is it perfect except  for the corner backlight bleed? How bad is the bleed?

10 Posts

December 13th, 2013 01:00

>How's the monitor? Is it perfect expect corner backlight bleed? How bad is the bleed?

Rev03 has solved the dreaded H line problem! 

Yes there is backlight bleed from 3 of the corners on my monitor. DELL-Chris has already pointed out that this is to Dell's design specification, so this problem won't go away for the life of the 3014. Why they thought this was acceptable is beyond me. 

The backlight bleed is irritating when watching a movie in full screen as it washes the black bars for left/right bottom corners and top left side only. 

If you do a lot of movie watching then this is going to drive you nuts. Indeed if you are always working with a lot of dark background stuff (photography) it will likely drive you nuts. If so then investigate either the HP z30i (only supports 16.70 Mil colours) or NEC PA302W-BK (expensive)  to see if they are any better with respect to backlight issues  (both use the same LG panel as the 3014). I should point out that i never see the bleed at any other time except when the monitor is mostly dark.

I would like to know if the backlight bleed varies much from monitor to monitor.  

For me I am not a big movie watcher, but when i do it's in window mode (meme alert!).  

Gaming for me is fine (I play Quake III Threewave and WoW) i don't see a problem with fast action. You can set the monitor to 'Game' mode and it removes the ghosting. Most of the other modes prevent text ghosting when you are moving windows around, however, in multimedia mode there is definitely obvious ghosting. Gaming is epic on this monitor...colours, size and detail are fantastic. 

So overall the colours are lush and the resolution rocks! So for my needs i will keep this monitor. 

24 Posts

December 13th, 2013 10:00

Kevin

The U3014 is advertised as an Ultrasharp professional monitor with a steep price to match.  It's 27 inch brother, the U2713H, has the same LED technology and identical specs, except for the screen size.  The two U2713H's I have worked with DO NOT have any back light bleed over! 

I bought a U3014 back in June of 2013 because of the excellent picture on the U2713H!  I do HDTV editing and the U3014 bleed over kills it for me.  You can not calibrate a screen that radically changes brightness from the center to the edges of the screen.  The Dell Tech Support replacement was worse than the first one.  Since it was within 30 days, I returned it and got my $1200 back from Dell.

If you want to see the problem, check the photos shown here of the bleed over of the U3014 compared from my five year old 3008WFT monitor: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/psnmgxmdq43x3q4/qw8wW9tS3S   I know Dell made good 30 inch monitors before.  Maybe, with enough people posting their experiences, the Dell product manager will solve the U3014 bleed over problem. 

10 Posts

December 13th, 2013 12:00

W6FXJ..

Your photos....shockingly bad bleed. Fortunately my monitor isn't anywhere near as bad as that.

I have found what appears to be an annoying bug with Dell's Display Manager software:

1) Open Display Manager

2) Click on 'Options' tab

3) UNcheck PowerNap options

4) Set to game mode (under Basic tab)

5) Force windows screensaver to engage (in this case i don't use a picture, just a black screen default)

Two issues are observed on my monitor..

1) The monitor powers off after about 10 seconds despite powernap settings being unchecked. It should not power off. 

2) When I re-awake the monitor (via mouse movement) the screen brightness has been dimmed despite powernap settings being unchecked. It should not be dimmed. Also, and this is noticeable and annoying, the monitor software appears to struggle to get back to its original brightness by making many subtle 'bright' pulses in a bid to return to its original brightness setting. It does this for a while and stops, but the screen still looks dim. Certainly dimmer than before it went into screensave/poweroff mode.

I suppose i should just make a new post for this. 

77 Posts

December 13th, 2013 15:00

Kevin, I appreciate the information on your monitor. Do you happen to play Diablo 3? I wonder how dark games like that look with the backlight bleed...

Are games playable in Normal mode (not Game mode) or is there too much mouse lag? Typically Game mode has the worse colors.

Thanks!

10 Posts

December 14th, 2013 22:00

byrkhrt27

I don't play Diablo. I suspect because Diablo is dark you may see some corner bleed. So if you get another monitor that has even moderate bleed it's likely going irritate you.

I don't have a problem with the colours in 'game' mode so i haven't tried the other modes. Also I want the faster screen response time of game mode. 

No Events found!