dawgbone98
1 Copper

Not getting correct resolutions for Monitor.

I have 2 Dell Monitors (model No. E228WFP).  The 2nd one I just added replaced a E196FPb.

For some reason, I can't get the proper resolutions for the 2nd monitor.  It inherently sets the max resolution to 1600x1200 (which is too high, and not the right format), instead of 1680 x 1050.  I've tried everything including uninstalling all of the ATI drivers are re-installing them.

I'm running a Dimension 9200 with an ATI x1300 pro video card.  I'm getting the correct resolution options from the DVI output no matter which of the 2 monitors I plugged in.  It's the Anaglog outoput that is giving improper resolutions (seems to be giving me resolutions for a 4:3 instead of widescreen).  I've done everything I could think of:

1. Shutdown, completely disconnected 2nd monitor, restarted, shut down, reconnected, started up again.

2. Shutdown, switched monitors, started up with just the primary monitor connected, shut down, reconnected second monitor, started up again.

3. Shutdown, reconnected the 19" monitor as the 2nd monitor, restarted, shut down, connected 22" monitor, restarted.

I tried using the CD provided with the E228WFP and when I select computer with no connection (and select ATI as the brand), it gives me an error saying:

Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardwardware or software configuration.  Please make sure you have the required hardware or software.

I also tried going to support.dell.com and using my service tag to download the ATI x1300 drivers, I get the following error:

Setup was unable to complete the installation.  Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

I've tried uninstalling the display adapters and running these installs again with no luck (I get the same errors).  I've also uninstalled the adapter and scanned for new hardware, it just loads up the ATI ones and sets one monitor with the proper resoultions and the other one with incorrect resolutions.

One of the monitors comes up as Generic PnP monitor on Radeon X1300/X1550 series while the other one (incorrect resolutions) comes up as Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Radeon X1300/X1550 series.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Not getting correct resolutions for Monitor.

* You first need to download and install winrar
* Download the monitor driver to your desktop 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

* Right mouse click R137889.zip
* Click Extract to R137889
* Open the Device Manager
* Click the icon left of Monitors
* Double click the 1st monitor listed
* Click the Driver tab
* Click the Update Driver button
* Click No, not at this time
* Click Next
* Dot Install from a list or specific location
* Click Next
* Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
* Click Next
* Click Have Disk
* Click Browse and navigate to the folder on your desktop that has the unzipped monitor inf file (C:\Documents and Settings\Your PC\Desktop\R137889)
* Click the E228WFP.inf file
* Click Open
* Click OK
* Click Next
* Click Finish

* Double click the 2nd monitor listed in the Device Manager
* Click the Driver tab
* Click the Update Driver button
* Click No, not at this time
* Click Next
* Dot Install from a list or specific location
* Click Next
* Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
* Click Next
* Click Have Disk
* Click Browse and navigate to the folder on your desktop that has the unzipped monitor inf file (C:\Documents and Settings\Your PC\Desktop\R137889)
* Click the E228WFP.inf file
* Click Open
* Click OK
* Click Next
* Click Finish. Now both listings in the Device Manager shpud be E228WFP

Now, try to change the resolutions.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
dawgbone98
1 Copper

Re: Not getting correct resolutions for Monitor.

I had also tried that previously and it was still giving me the wrong resolutions.

I went and did it again and still the same issue (I also rebooted it just in case).

So I powered down the computer, unhooked the 2nd monitor (power as well), and booted up again.  Then I shutdown and connected the 2nd monitor and it was still giving the wrong resolution.

I powered down, unhooked the 2nd monitor again and tried a new cable, powered it up and now it's giving me proper resolutions. 

So I'm not sure if it was the cable that was doing it (seems logical) or it took Vista several reboots to get it right (wouldn't surprise me).

0 Kudos