Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2019 10:00

Original factory box-seal VS Refurbished unit box-seal

Hi, I'm in need of some urgent help. For clarity, I'd first like you to take a look at this image which shows 2 kinds of Dell monitors' box seals: http://prnt.sc/oe5q8q So about a week ago, I bought a U2415 monitor from a local dealer. Right out of the box, it had a green stuck pixel in the centre which was distracting. Upon contacting Dell support, they suggested me to talk to the dealer first for a replacement. I did so, and the dealer agreed. Every unboxing video I that I have seen on YouTube of that monitor, and the box that I initially got had the same seal, which had text printed asking you to check the contents of the box before signing receipt if the seal is broken or if the box is damaged, exactly the same as the one on the left side of the picture that I have posted above the link of. (In fact, every Dell monitor box that I've seen has the same printed seal.) The box was also wrapped up in thick plastic. After talking to the dealer for replacement, I boxed the monitor and its contents and took it back to the shop. I confirmed with the shop owner twice if the replacement that they'd be providing me would be new before handing him back the box. The shop I bought it from have their dealer at a different, 'secret' location in the same area, which is unknown to the customers. When the replacement box arrived at the shop, I saw that it had a different kind of seal, and the box really looked like someone had opened it before. This seal had no text and had just some slanting lines printed over it, exactly the same as what you can see in the right side of the above linked image. I immediately suspected that it's a refurbished unit, and not really new. I had an argument for over an hour with the shop owner, and he went on to convince me that it's a brand new unit. He kept on telling me that the company might have changed the seal, which in my opinion isn't true because both the units (the one that I returned and the one they were offering me) had the same manufacturing date (December 2018). He then showed me a video from the dealer's warehouse where there were a bunch of U2415 boxes stacked up together and all had that same plain seal. And none of them were plastic-wrapped as my initial box. Also, all of those boxes looked old. As the shop's closing time approached, we decided to have discussion tomorrow and I came back empty handed. He still says that the one that they're providing to me as a replacement is brand new and the company has changed the seal, whereas I believe that he's a liar and that the plain seal (right side of the above linked image) is put on by Dell for refurbished units. Can anyone please let me know who's right and who's wrong here? What's the difference between the two seals? I'm totally **bleep** off right now as I had bought that monitor for work but now I can't do anything, and I'm perhaps being offered a used/refurbished unit for the price of a brand new unit! I'm totally lost right now!

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 09:00

Manav19,

Just heard from the Display/Monitors Lab =

Both monitors look like brand new and not refurbished. It appears that we use both types of tape for our monitors. I have both in my lab right now.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2019 06:00

Why not simply return it to the seller for refund. Then, buy the U2415 directly from the Dell Compuindia (Dell Authorized Online Partner) website? That is the ONLY way to know for sure that it is NEW. You can also check the 20 digit serial number on the U2415 rear label and the box. Do they match? Using it, I can tell you when it was actually built.

8 Posts

July 13th, 2019 08:00

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the response.
I actually did try ordering it from there, but it always says "Sorry, the selected product is currently out of stock. Please choose from the available range.", and it's still out of stock. I had a requirement for it urgently for my work, which is when I went to the local store and bought it. Also, the refund process isn't easy here due to GST.

All I want to know is the difference between the two seals. That's it.

Every Dell product that I have seen has the same seal on its box, which has the following text printed over it: "If this seal is broken or the package is damaged, check contents before signing receipt"

The image that I have linked in the above post was taken from another post by a user from a different country on this forum. The other seal has no text and has just slanting lines printed over it. The box that the seller was offering me as a replacement had exactly that same seal.

Also, I'm unable to provide you with any serial number as I don't have it. I haven't yet accepted the replacement from them.

Could you just confirm to me if that other seal is used by Dell for refurbished units' boxes?

I could then show your response to the shop owner to prove him wrong that the replacement unit that they were offering me wasn't refurbished.

8 Posts

July 13th, 2019 10:00

Here's another thread that includes a picture of that same plain seal with just slanting lines printed over it: https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Is-this-seal-genuine/td-p/7325368

Is this the factory seal or not? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2019 05:00

I don't recognize the tape with slants. I recognize the tape label in your first picture. But other customers who bought NEW from Dell will need to post pictures of the original tape on their boxes to know 100%.
DELL-Chris M

8 Posts

July 18th, 2019 10:00

Chris, I've tried contacting Dell support here in India. I emailed them the same picture and got a call from their senior customer care executive, who too had no idea about this other seal, and promised me to revert back shortly with the information on it But it has been 2 days and I haven't heard back from them.

Tried asking @DellCares through DM on Twitter, they weren't able to provide me with a proper response either.

The retailer has denied to provide a refund. They still claim the replacement unit to be factory sealed and has been considering me to be ignorant for not agreeing with them that the replacement unit that they're providing to me is new. They've also said that they'd be able to refund my money if I can show them a proof of that seal not being genuine.
It has been so many days since I'm without a monitor, and my work has been suffering due to this.
Could you please personally confirm from your appropriate contacts at Dell if this seal with slanted lines is a genuine Dell factory seal or not? I'd be really grateful to you if you could do so.
I could then prove the retailer wrong and at least take my refund.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 19th, 2019 06:00

We will need to find this information out and get back to you.

8 Posts

July 19th, 2019 09:00

Jesse, request you to do so ASAP. All I need to confirm is if the following is an authentic Dell factory seal for a U2415 monitor box.

S86HPbTZ_2.jpg

8 Posts

July 20th, 2019 23:00

Any update on this?

I'm a 3D Artist and a motion graphics designer. I've got way too much of pending work getting piled up just because of lack of a monitor, and I am running out of time.

If nobody at Dell recognizes that plain seal, that itself is a sign that it's not a legitimate factory seal. I just need a confirmation of that seal not being genuine from a Dell employee, that I can show to the retailer and take my refund!

8 Posts

July 25th, 2019 10:00

Oh! I've already taken the refund from the retailer now.

In my case, both the monitor boxes had same manufacturing month but different types of seals. Also, the one with the "new" seal wasn't wrapped up in any plastic unlike the other one. These are the main reasons which made it suspicious to me.

Thanks for the confirmation anyway. I'll now be buying it again from one of the Dell Exclusive Stores in my city as it's still out of stock online on Compuindia.

But such information must be present on the company's website. I couldn't find any information on the authenticity of the seals anywhere on the internet, nor any Dell customer care executive I contacted over phone was familiar with it. Caused so much of trouble, confusion and wastage of time for me.

No Events found!