Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2020 10:00

P2310H, how do I connect to a MacBook Air?

I just bought a refurbished P2310H. I thought getting a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter with an HDMI to DisplayPort cable would be all I needed. Everything is hooked up, but the monitor screen is black except for the floating "No DVI-D Cable" message.

Do I need to use a DVI-D cable to connect to my Mac instead of connecting to the DisplayPort? I'm on an older MacBook Air with Thunderbolt 2. I have tried going into my preferences to connect the monitor using the "Detect Monitors" option, but that doesn't work. Help?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 15th, 2020 12:00

@Goldie2020  DisplayPort to HDMI cables can be used to connect a DisplayPort source to an HDMI input, not an HDMI source to a DisplayPort input.  But even if your cabling solution would have worked, it would have been way more complicated than it needs to be anyhow.  All you need here is a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.  And then you need to manually switch the input selection on your display from DVI to DisplayPort, which you can do using the buttons on the display itself.  Check the manual available on support.dell.com if you need further assistance.

And if you ever get a newer Mac with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, you'd just get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

September 20th, 2020 11:00

@jphughan Thank you for your response. I had to order the cable and it came today. Everything is working. Thanks!!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 20th, 2020 13:00

@Goldie2020  Thanks for reporting back, and great news!  Glad to hear you're all sorted.

No Events found!