Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2020 08:00

P2317H, E2216H, OptiPlex 3050, setup help

hello,

I am trying to set up multiple monitors. My system is an OptiPlex 3050 with a P2317H monitor. I am currently trying to connect a E2216H monitor. This monitor only has a VGA & DP port. I have tried to connect the E2216H monitor with a DP to HDMI to the OptiPlex and that does not work. I am obviously doing something wrong and I am not sure what the proper connections are that I require. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction of the proper set up and the types of connections I need to make this possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 11:00

@KBear  I understand what you’re trying to achieve and that your P2317H is already working as desired. But the P2317H has both HDMI and DisplayPort inputs. Your new display only has DisplayPort (and VGA, but you should avoid that if possible since ancient analog VGA looks worse than anything else). As I explained in the post I linked, you can’t use an HDMI output on a PC in order to feed a DisplayPort input on a display except with special active adapters designed for that purpose, but those are somewhat expensive and complex. So if you’re currently using DisplayPort with your P2317H, it makes more sense to just switch that display over to HDMI to free up your PC’s DisplayPort output to use with your new display.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 10:00

@KBear  See this post I wrote on one of the many occasions this issue comes up.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@KBear  Building on my earlier reply, you didn’t specify which form factor of OptiPlex 3050 you have, namely small form factor, desktop, tower, etc. And you didn’t specify what display output connectors you have overall on the system. But the P2317H display you have actually has an HDMI input. So if you’re currently using a DisplayPort output on your system with that display’s DisplayPort input, you have a pretty easy solution here. Get a regular HDMI cable instead to connect the HDMI output of your system to the HDMI input of the P2317H (and change its input selection to HDMI). At that point you’ll have freed up the DisplayPort output on your system, so you can use a regular DisplayPort cable to connect that output to the DisplayPort input on your new display.

2 Posts

Thank you @jphughan for the response. My apologies for not being specific as I am not very tech savy or familiar with the different tech names. The optiplex I have is the just small form, a little black box, no tower. My P2317H monitor is already connected and working fine. I am trying to connect a second monitor, the E2216H monitor. 

No Events found!