Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2015 11:00

P2415Q often freezes

Hi, I have this monitor for a while now, and I noticed this annoying behavior. It often freezes when I change the inputs. Only help is to pull it out of the socket, because it don't react to soft power button. After start it often won't recognize USB hub and needs it to be reinserted to USB port on PC. Does anyone have similar behavior?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 10:00

Can you expand on this? What specific computers? What cabling is used between the monitor and computers? To what computer is the monitor USB upstream cable connected?

November 25th, 2015 17:00

I have Gigabyte Brix and Lenovo laptop dock, both connected with DP to the P2415Q. Task like undocking laptop often froze the monitor as described. I also connected Playstation 3 to HDMI and it also happened. Sometimes plain switching via OSD leads to freeze (but much less often). Only help is to remove mains, as power button is lit but screen remains black and doesn't react to any buttons.

Other problem is with USB hub. I have keyboard and mouse connected to the monitor. It repeatedly happened that I moved monitor's USB from Brix to dock or vice versa, switched inputs and mouse nor keyboard were recognized. I had to remove and insert it to USB port again.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 22:00

Is this your setup?
Gigabyte Brix mDP (Mini DisplayPort) out --> P2415Q mDP to DP cable --> P2415Q mDP in
Lenovo laptop dock DP out --> DP to DP cable --> P2415Q DP in

Before removing the monitor USB upstream cable from any computer or dock, you must turn the P2415Q off via the power button. Then disconnect the cable from the Brix, and reconnect into the Lenovo dock or vice versa. The point is the P2415Q USB hub connection is not hot swappable. Once the swap has been made, turn the P2415Q on and then change the Input Source to the system that you plugged the USB upstream cable into.

November 26th, 2015 01:00

That's absurd. IF that would be true, it would mean Dell built first non hot swappable USB device in the world, which would be interesting but I have serious doubts about that. Such device in fact couldn't even be called USB, as it wouldn't be compliant with specification. So frankly, can you prove that claim somehow, or are we both just loosing our time here?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 27th, 2015 01:00

Why not test it as I earlier stated to prove or disprove my assertion?

November 30th, 2015 22:00

I guess it could  help, yes. But usability of such solution is zero. If I should switch monitor off for each change of USB source, I can pretty much move also DP cable with that. Why would I have multi-input monitor then? Switching inputs is slow already, why not to add some extra steps, right?

No Events found!