Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

February 23rd, 2018 20:00

P2418HZ, Camera, Microphone not working

Hi All, 

I recently bought a P2418HZ monitor with inbuilt camera, microphone, and speakers. The speakers work but I cant get the camera and microphone to work on my windows 10 machine. I have installed all the drivers from the CD but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I have to do? 

Thanks 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 04:00

You must connect both the video cable and the USB 3.0 upstream cable.

The P2418HZ USB 3.0 upstream cable has nothing to do with getting a video image. That cable must be connected to a USB 3.0 port on the computer to access the two side USB downstream ports and the two bottom USB downstream ports. This also enables the computer to "see" the webcam and microphone.

So this is how your setup should look =

Asus graphics card DP out port --> P2418HZ DP to DP cable --> P2418HZ DP in port
Asus USB 3.0 port --> P2418HZ USB 3.0 upstream cable --> P2418HZ USB 3.0 upstream port

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 24th, 2018 12:00

Read the P2418HZ User's Guide PDF (page 52) and the Setting up your Dell Monitor (Certified for Skype for Business) PDF. Both discuss the camera and microphone. After following the advice in both PDF's, come back with further questions.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2018 14:00

Hi Chris, 

Did all that, even though I have to search the CD for the drivers and do a manual install. The drivers have been installed successfully, however, the devices (Cam and Mic) do not appear in my device list at all. This means that the install didnt register the cam attached to the monitor or the mic even though the speakers work fine. 

I am at a loss to understand why. Is it a setting in my registry perhaps? really dont know 

I am using Windows 10 

9 Posts

February 24th, 2018 14:00

Do I need to set up an account in Window Hello to activate it ? I wouldnt have thought so

9 Posts

February 25th, 2018 02:00

I downloaded the latest version of the software to make sure it is compatible with Windows 10 and even though it says it installed successfully the device still doesnt appear in WINDOWS device manager. Its almost as if the installation didnt recognise the driver I installed 

I am at a complete loss 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 25th, 2018 06:00

Do I need to set up an account in Window Hello to activate it?
* Yes. But not for a hardware level issue.

* The P2418HZ USB upstream cable MUST be connected from the P2418HZ to a USB port on the computer
* Slide the shutter to the left to uncover the webcam
* Does the webcam work in these online applications?
Test 1
Test 2

9 Posts

February 25th, 2018 23:00

Hi Chris

That wont work either, I have a separate graphics card at the back of the Box with three ports, DP HDMI and VGA port. There is no USB port on that card. 

If I try to connect the monitor to a USB port on the computer itself, the monitor will not work at all, there will be no image displayed at all. The only way to display the image is to connect to one of the ports on the graphics card itself, and not a port thru the motherboard

I am at a loss, and it is frustrating me. 

- Kosta

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 06:00

Let's start over. What is the specific computer model?

9 Posts

February 26th, 2018 12:00

Asus PC Windows 10 Operating system 

3.1Ghz Processor with 16Gb Ram 

Intel Core Processor running at 3.1 Ghz 

9 Posts

February 28th, 2018 01:00

Hi Chris, 

I consulted my dictionary to find the meaning of the word "Legend" and it had the following entry "DELL-Chris M" ...I couldn't believe it 

It works !!!! Finally ..I had no idea I had to use 2 cables 

A MILLION THANKS .. I might have to buy you a virtual beer (I am guessing you are in the US) ..Australia here 

The only very minor issue with the cam is that I get rolling effect .. the image is clear , I can see myself without a problem, but there are these waves that come across the image. Must be a resolution issue, and something I may need to adjust 

Anyway ..thanks again, love your work !!! 

Best wishes

Kosta 

1 Message

October 7th, 2023 21:52

Yeah, I had the same problem just two weeks ago and following the instructions Chris gave worked for me too. Thanks 

No Events found!