Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2020 10:00

P2419H, connect to PC without a USB 3.0 port?

Hi,

I  would much appreciate if anyone can throw light on this:

I have a Dell Vostro Laptop without a USB 3.0 port. I recently ordered a Dell P2419H monitor and only then found out that as a last step of connecting the monitor to  your PC you have to mandatorily hook-up a 2nd cable (provided along with the monitor)  running from the USB 3.0 Upstream port on the monitor to USB 3.0 port on your PC.

The 1st cable needs to connected either between the VGA or HDMI or DP port on the monitor to similar port on your PC. This went fine. 

Is there an option for the 2nd cable that needs to be connected. I only seem to have a USB 2.0 port on my PC instead of the USB 3.0 that is required

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 28th, 2020 10:00

@Kishen2006  You only need to connect a USB cable if you want to be able to use the USB ports built into the display.  If you only care about sending video to the display and won't be using those USB ports, then you don't have to worry about a USB cable at all.  If you want to use the USB ports built into the display, you can try connecting a regular USB 2.0 cable from the "upstream" port on the display to a USB port on your PC, but at best you'll only get USB 2.0 speeds out of anything you plug into the display's ports.  They can only operate at USB 3.0 when connected to a system that supports USB 3.0.  It's also possible that it won't work at all, although typically USB 3.0 hubs (which is all the display has built into it in order to offer USB ports) will work at USB 2.0 speeds when connected to a USB 2.0 system.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 28th, 2020 11:00

jphughan is correct. The USB 3.0 upstream cable is not a mandatory requirement. The User's Guide page 43 simply offers pictures on how to connect with the assumption that a user would need access to the four USB downstream ports.

May 30th, 2020 10:00

@jphughan Thanks for clarifying. Got it working with the one HDMI cable without the need for the 2nd cable. Got off-tracked by the instructions in the user guide while debugging the issue. It was actually the driver that had not been installed correctly. Cheers!

No Events found!