1 Copper

P2419HC, downgraded firmware from M3B109 to M3B106

Jump to solution

I recently purchased the P2419HC monitor and was having trouble when I plugged in the USB-C cable to my 2019 MacBook Pro 13" laptop.  Sometimes the monitor would power the laptop, but no USB peripherals would connect.  And other times the USB peripherals would connect, but no power.  Usually, after reconnecting the cable 3-7 times, I would get the laptop power and the USB connections... until I unplugged the cable later and it all started over.  Anyway I don't really care about his part much anymore.

Here's the problem, my friend came over and said "you should update the firmware, it will fix it!"  I had been meaning to investigate this option anyway, so we downloaded the firmware and my friend quickly clicked through the options.  But we discovered too late the the monitor was at M3B109 already, and the firmware update was M3B106.  Now that I "downgraded" by mistake, the monitor still works fine except when the monitor signal is lost it flashed green, red, blue, white constantly - which it never did before.  Not sure about previous power, USB connection issue with this firmware, as the flashing screen is very annoying now.

But I cannot find the M3B109 firmware anywhere so I can go back to what the monitor shipped with, and I'm stuck at M3B106. Why would Dell not make this updated firmware available on the downloads page for the monitor? Can I find it or obtain it somehow and update again?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: P2419HC, downgraded firmware from M3B109 to M3B106

Jump to solution

This entire thing was resolved behind the scenes with Dell Representatives messaging me through private messages.  So I thought I would summarize what happened here in case someone else finds this through web searches.

The M3B109 firmware contained no software or hardware changes and was simply released for some kind of regulatory purpose and ships on newer monitors.

So I had downloaded the most recent firmware available on Dell's site and quickly installed it, but failed to notice it was actually older than what was on my monitor already.  I assumed Dell would provide older firmware on their site than what shipped on the monitor.  But, the resolution is that the "older" firmware (v.106) is basically the same as the "newer" firmware (v.109) that shipped on my monitor.

I reinstalled the v.106 firmware and the flashing blue, green, red, white screen went away as well.

I do still have the original problem, which is that my Dell D6000 dock and my Dell P2419HC monitor will act problematically when connecting them via USB-C.  The problem is that sometimes when plugging in the USB-C cable, the USB devices and monitors will not always be recognized and I have to re-plug in the cable 2-5 times until finally my laptop will receive power, AND recognize the USB devices and monitors.

This aforementioned issue might not be a Dell hardware issues, but it could be.  It also could be a DisplayLink driver issue, or aa Apple software/hardware issue.  Since Dell does not support Apple products they do not care and will not respond to this issue... only my original issue related to finding the firmware to download.

The lesson learned for me is that if I want maximum compatibility with my Apple Macbook Pro laptop, I should no longer purchase Dell products, and should focus on other vendors that have better support for Apple.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: P2419HC, downgraded firmware from M3B109 to M3B106

Jump to solution

This entire thing was resolved behind the scenes with Dell Representatives messaging me through private messages.  So I thought I would summarize what happened here in case someone else finds this through web searches.

The M3B109 firmware contained no software or hardware changes and was simply released for some kind of regulatory purpose and ships on newer monitors.

So I had downloaded the most recent firmware available on Dell's site and quickly installed it, but failed to notice it was actually older than what was on my monitor already.  I assumed Dell would provide older firmware on their site than what shipped on the monitor.  But, the resolution is that the "older" firmware (v.106) is basically the same as the "newer" firmware (v.109) that shipped on my monitor.

I reinstalled the v.106 firmware and the flashing blue, green, red, white screen went away as well.

I do still have the original problem, which is that my Dell D6000 dock and my Dell P2419HC monitor will act problematically when connecting them via USB-C.  The problem is that sometimes when plugging in the USB-C cable, the USB devices and monitors will not always be recognized and I have to re-plug in the cable 2-5 times until finally my laptop will receive power, AND recognize the USB devices and monitors.

This aforementioned issue might not be a Dell hardware issues, but it could be.  It also could be a DisplayLink driver issue, or aa Apple software/hardware issue.  Since Dell does not support Apple products they do not care and will not respond to this issue... only my original issue related to finding the firmware to download.

The lesson learned for me is that if I want maximum compatibility with my Apple Macbook Pro laptop, I should no longer purchase Dell products, and should focus on other vendors that have better support for Apple.

View solution in original post