Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2015 04:00

P2715Q, 4K 60Hz always messes up my windows layout?

Hello all,

I've been having this problem ever since i got this monitor. I've started with a dual monitor setup and then tried with single monitor but with no luck. When monitor goes to sleep all my windows go to top right and get resized when in single monitor setup, and when in dual monitor setup they all go to primary monitor and also get resized. I'm currently on a PC with Windows 10, Nvidia 970, I've used DP->DP and mDP->DP cables, I've reset all settings on OSD and also made sure MST if OFF (usually with i reset settings its off by default). I also tried connecting the USB upstream cable and also without it. I've switched monitors with Dell and the problem remains. I have tried the monitor on both PC and Mac Pro. Everything is up to date and still the problem remains. I'm now posting here because hoping someone that had the same problem found a solution. I can keep asking Dell to switch monitors until i have one that actually works but i don't think this is the best thing to do.

Anyone? Ideas?

Thanks in advance

November 11th, 2015 04:00

@Chris, Thanks for the info. I'll try to file a refund and see what happens. Would prefer a solution as i do like the monitor, but seems like far from the moment.

Thanks again

November 11th, 2015 06:00

It doesn't work for me. I've applied that change to the registry for some time now. i have DDM up to date and the problem remains. My computer has rebooted dozens of times, i've done the latest tests with RestoreWindowLayout on and it doesn't do anything..

just to make sure i have it right:

\Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EnTech\DDM

"RestoreWindowLayout" DWORD and set to 1

234 Posts

November 11th, 2015 06:00

Not sure about the P2715Q, but with the UP3214Q running at 3840x2160@60Hz the "RestoreWindowLayout" switch does the trick. Without it, waking up from sleep finds open windows moved to the right and up; with it, the open windows are still moved to the right and up, but then they are moved back to where they were originally after a second or two.

One thing: once the registry switch is set, you have to restart DDM and then actually move open windows around to where you want them. DDM only keeps a record of windows that are positioned while it is up and running; windows that were already opened when DDM starts up aren't tracked.

234 Posts

November 11th, 2015 09:00

That looks right. Try using b.1612 here, and then run this test:

1. Start DDM with the P2715Q at native 4k resolution

2. Open Notepad and place it in the lower right corner of the desktop

3. Put the system to sleep (important because this makes DDM record open window positions)

4. Wake the system back up

5. Go to Windows Display properties and switch resolution to 1920x1080, then cancel

At steps 4 and 5, the Notepad window should end up in the lower right corner of the desktop. If it doesn't, I'm afraid I'm at a loss...

November 24th, 2015 16:00

Hey Marc,

I have got a new revision (A03) and i assume the firmware is up to date.

With the DDM installed and the hack on the registry when using only P2715Q it works fine now. I can't say for sure what made it work, but it works. I still have the same problem because i am using dual monitor setup and things still move to my main monitor and windows get resized. Weirdly enough they don't behave as before. Now mostly of my main monitor windows are ok, sometimes a bit smaller or even "bleeding" to the second monitor.

I am still in contact with Dell regarding my second monitor (U2713HM). I've ran all the tests they told me and all the ones i read around here.. nothing still works 100%.

What i'm trying to say is you either work around it or return the monitors.

NOTE: I never tried any other 4k monitors before but, based on Dell's info this seems to be a common problem over all 4ks around. Would be nice to actually confirm that.

15 Posts

November 24th, 2015 16:00

Escalate for a refund as a fix?  I just bought two of the P2715Q 4k monitors for my Dell alienware system running Nvidia GTX 680 dual cards.  When monitors go to sleep and awake same as all the people I have read on many threads tonight.  Windows move and resize.  

How is getting a refund the fix?  How about a software fix or firmware update?  Why aren't you escalating it to support.  You guys would rather refund the 1000's of monitors out there than issue a software fix?

15 Posts

November 24th, 2015 17:00

How do you tell which revision monitor you have?

November 25th, 2015 12:00

Can you post that link here ? I'd like to read it. If it works im willing to give it a try

15 Posts

I checked the box it came in and it said REV A03 on it so both are the latest versions.  

After much reading it appears many have this problem and the only fixes are a couple registry key edits that seem to fix for most people.  Have not tried them yet.  There is a very long 15 page discussion on microsoft support forums on this problem.  

You should see REV A0* written in the back of your monitor.

15 Posts

November 25th, 2015 13:00

Yes here is the link. This is page 16 of it but you can move to the beginning of it and read through the entire discussion

answers.microsoft.com/.../1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa;page=16

LMK how you make out

2 Posts

March 29th, 2018 13:00

After days looking up this issue and trying everything I found this solution which I will be testing and report back:

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/P2715Q-quot-The-system-has-detected-a-link-failure-quot/m-p/4593233#M100716

According to the thread, the cable is the issue. The solution is to use a VESA Certified cable. The one I am using is whatever I found at the time and it is not certified.

I purchased this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HVZBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPDATE: the above cable did not resolve the issue.

No Events found!