Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2015 10:00

P2715Q Rev 01 DisplayPort issue

Hi,

So I've just got a P2715Q and like some others, I've been struggling with the DisplayPort to make it work past two days. If you're reading this you have probably realized that it is a common issue for this model and like many others I also experience blank screen or no signal when using DP, but Mini-DP works as expected with 4k resolution @60Hz  and so does the HDMI but at 30Hz. I was able to get the monitor work on DP only 2-3 times (out of hours of  try & failures) but even then, resolution was sub-4k @30Hz. I understand that it might be seen as a bad-cable issue, but then, why even this bad-cable is not persistently giving me connection and rarely works randomly?

Using mini-DP is only a temporary solution for me, because I will need to hook the monitor to a second system so I'll need to be able to use both ports. 

Of course I have tried typical workarounds like unplugging power cable, trying two different DP cables, making sure latest driver is running, etc. I'm testing with a GTX 970 card.

My monitor is of rev 01 according to the box label, with part number  0GT67 ,also referred with 210-ADVO in some Europe countries. Manufacture date is April 2015 on the label.

I got mine in Sweden. Finding other relevant topics I came across this thread  covering the same issue. The guy suggest that this issue is resolved in Rev 03, with part number X24K1 .

So I contacted local Dell support, hoping for replacing my monitor. They of course agree to replace, but with a refurbished model and not brand new. This unacceptable since it just does not makes sense to pay for a brand new item, and ask to replace it after one day of trying to troubleshoot. Even more bothering, according to tech-support guy he could not guarantee that I would receive a replacement of same revision or the latest one, so even replacing my unit sounds like *** 2 weeks of waiting time. Quiet disappointed here :-/

Trying again with a second Dell support guy, he at least managed to give me a list of (Sweden region) part numbers related to P2715Q. There were others but I asked him specifically for PN that are in Sweden's market. Interestingly he was not able to find anything with "X24K1" part number, and returned to me with below part numbers instead. He was not able say which hardware revisions are these PNs.

V7WP9
V48W2
0GT67  --> my buggy rev01 model, manufacture Apr 2015.
So I'm hoping that someone from Dell could reply to this thread, confirming this issue, and also helping in find a way to get the right part number (For Sweden) for Rev03 and order it?
Even Dell's own web-store is not providing any part number during the online order process. 
And question from those who've replaced their P2715Q : Have you received the same (rev01) model and issue was resolved, or your replacement unit has a different revision/PN? If so, could you please list it here?

I will return my unit anyways, but before ordering/replacing it, I need to find a way to assure I can order newer revision, and not just waste a couple of more days of working hours to get back the same & possibly problematic model.

4 Posts

July 28th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for quick reply Chris.

Apparently I have no way  but exchanging mine with a used one. Based on what you said I assume the difference between A01 and A03 is only the firmware version?

If so, how can I confirm/guarantee that replaced item will be Rev 03? I ask this because Dell Sweden support said that they cannot see/set part numbers in their replacement order system.

Beside that, how can I confirm the firmware version update through monitor hidden/service menu?

Currently if I enter service mode menu, I see these two extra numbers beside monitor model:

M2T101   22G2M

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

The part numbers (V7WP9, V48W2) will dictate the firmware version. If they send one of those, it will be a flashed A03. When they setup a used exchange, they have to enter one of the 5 digit part numbers as the part to ship out. The service menu is not supported by Dell for customers to use so I cannot discuss how to get into it or what those numbers might mean.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

A new exchange will not get you A03. It must be a used exchange to get the flashed A03 from service stock. We are flashing used stock first. I do not know when the manufacturer will be flashing new stock.

No, we in the USA cannot order a monitor for non-USA customers.

X24K1 A03 is Dell Americas. That other threads customer was in the USA.

V7WP9 A03 and V48W2 A03 are both Dell EMEA (Europe/Middle East/Asia).

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

So yesterday I did a wild test, bough 3 more new DP-DP cables from different brands (beside my 2 other new cables!) and tested the monitor. Only with one of the newer ones I was finally able to get 4K @60 Hz. But even with this cable, from time to time I still have momentary blackouts, which I assume is because of noise affecting the cable. Separating the power cord and DP port cables seems making it less.

So it took me 5 new cables to get it work. All cables (according to their box/vendor) meant to support 4k and all relatively short ones( <2 meters). This experience makes me believe that either:

DP protocol is not good enough in practice to handle errors when used at its maxed out bandwidth,

Or most of supposed to be standard cables out there are ***,

OR, Dell's implementation is not good enough to handle noise related errors.

AND DP official site managed by VESA (displayport.org) is just saying *** when mentioning that all cables should support 4k and quality does not matter much and don't fall for more expensive cables.

Lesson learned here: If you need 4K @ 60 Hz, save yourself some time and money, and go for the most expensive DP cable you can find! Fortunately I can return all bad cables and get my money back.

This problem aside, Chris could you please mention what are other changes/fixes/improvements between Rev A01 and A03 of P2715Q model? I was not able to find any notes on Dell website.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

Apologies but that data is not provided to us.

7 Posts

August 27th, 2015 13:00

Hi, just wondering if you've received your second hand monitor with Rev A03, and more importantly has it fixed the problem?  I've got a the same problem and have also been told I can only get a used replacement for my new monitor that is only 4 days old!

4 Posts

August 27th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I managed to get a brand new Rev A03 one, and yes it solved the problem. I also noticed faster initialization when you plug DP or mini-DP plugs. Also no more unresponsive blank screens after system standbye.

It took me a few calls and emails with Dell support to convince them though, and had to show them my purchase receipts that confirmed I had the monitor for only 48 hours.. .

So if yours is also brand new, I would not suggest accepting second hand replacement, if you have not been using yours more than a week or two. It's Dell's own policy to replace with brand new, if the item is used less than two weeks.

7 Posts

August 28th, 2015 01:00

OK, that's brilliant.  I'm going to get onto them.  Don't suppose you still have any contact numbers or useful names?

4 Posts

August 31st, 2015 06:00

I have a P2715Q Rev A03 and have the same issue. GTX 970 in a Clevo laptop connecting via DP. Windows does not recognise the monitor. Have tried both DP to DP and DP to Min (at the monitor end) but it makes no difference.

3 Posts

September 14th, 2015 14:00

I really wish the Dell would come up with a way for end users to update the firmware on these monitors.  I am not thrilled with the thought of swapping my fairly new monitor for one that is a refurbished return.  Especially when it is not clear if the latest A03 firmware really solves the various DP problems.

No Events found!