Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

July 13th, 2016 01:00

P2715Q monitor ignores power button

Every time I am hibernating or turning off my computer, the Dell P2715Q monitor will not turn off. The monitor only becomes responsive again when it turns off the screen due to no more input. I can hold the power button as long as I want, or push the power button a dozen times, and the monitor will not turn off.

Unplugging the monitor fixes the issue, but then again unplugging anything would turn it off. It's also quite a bother to have to unplug the monitor every time I want to turn it off.

There are other times the monitor will not turn off, and it seems that the monitor is trying to get permission or something from the computer to allow itself to be turned off. It is incredibly annoying that the power button does nothing while my computer is shutting down. Is there a way to force the power button to turn the monitor off when I want the monitor to turn off?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2016 09:00

You would not turn the monitor WHILE the computer is shutting off. You would do it after the computer is off. For testing, the only cable connecting the computer to the monitor is ONE video cable.

* The computer is on and you can see the windows desktop. The monitor is on. Press the monitor power button. What happens?
* The computer is off, not in hibernation, off. The monitor is on. Press the monitor power button. What happens?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

The computer is actively sending video handshake signals to the monitor. By turning the monitor off while the computer is shutting off, you will disrupt the handshake signals of the computer to the monitor. Leaving the monitor in a confused state. Turn the monitor off after the computer is off.

Actually I *would* turn the monitor off while the computer is shutting off - I try to do this nearly every time the computer is shutting off. I don't want to do it before the computer is shutting down in case I have to save some opened document, or some application is preventing the computer from shutting down.

And once the computer reaches the shutting down screen, there is no more need to have the monitor on. Why do I have to wait 20-30 extra seconds for the computer to actually turn off before I can turn off the monitor?

As for your questions: If the computer is on, the monitor will almost always (but not always) turn off.

If the computer is off, the monitor almost always turn off (I think only once or twice it would not turn off even then, but I might be mistaken).

There is only 1 cable connecting the monitor to the computer.

These questions you ask however do not address my problem - and my problem is the monitor will not turn off WHILE my computer is shutting off. It is annoying that I have to stand there and wait until the computer actually turns off to turn the monitor off. It is worse when I see the power button does not actually turn off the monitor sometimes.

Brings up horrible thoughts if we can't even turn off our electronic devices - mainly science fiction thoughts of them taking over the world because we can't shut them off... but it's not to that point yet...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

No, I am not saying that. Yes, the monitor sits in the state when you turned it off. All handshake is controlled from the computer. You stated that while the computer is in the act of turning off, you turn the monitor off. My point is while the computer is turning off, the computer to monitor handshake is influx. By turning the monitor off in this influx state, you could leave the monitor in that state. Thus, when the computer is turned on and sends the handshake, it meets a monitor state that it cannot decipher. Which means disconnecting the monitor power cable, then pressing the monitor power button for 15 seconds to "clear" it. If you cannot wait "20-30 extra seconds", then don't. But you may have to reset the monitor to clear it.

July 13th, 2016 21:00

I'll assume you meant to say, 'You stated that while the computer is in the act of turning off, you can not turn the monitor off.'. This concept worries me, but maybe someday they will invent a computer that can handle turning off the monitor while the computer is turning off. It seems you are stating this is the failure of the computer, and not the monitor. Ok, I can accept that as an answer.

No Events found!