Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2017 07:00

P2715Q monitor, won't wake from sleep from power saving

P2715Q monitor, won't wake from sleep (from power saving mode apparently):

I am running Linux with 4.10.0-27-generic kernel. Using Xsreensaver. After the monitor goes to sleep, standby, or suspend for a while when I try to log back in it will not wake up. Using "xrandr --output DP-2 --left-of DVI-D-0 --auto" once or twice brings it back from a sleep state. My other monitor works fine so this is obviously something related to the Dell P2715Q monitor. I had been hoping for a while that a kernel update or Nvidia update would fix this problem but not such luck. After multiple updates nothing has fixed this issue.

I have tried different window managers and screen savers and the monitor exhibits the problem in all cases so far.

My guess at this point is that the monitor goes into a deep sleep state after being set to standby (or suspend or sleep) for a while and does not respond to normal wake up commands. I am suspecting Dell requires a non-standard commands to wake it. I noticed the monitor firmware does not appear to allow disabling the deep sleep state on this monitor (as a work around) for some reason. Other Dell monitors allow this work around.

I noticed several old posts about this issue. One person posted that resetting the energy star settings solved their problem. This is hard to believe since the only energy star setting is the LED state. In any event this did nothing to fix my monitor.

This appears to be a serious flaw with the monitor. Is there a firmware update to resolve this? If the means cannot be provided to me to update the firmware or otherwise fix this issue will Dell send me a postage paid box so that the monitor can be sent back to them for an update. Alternatively can they provide a solution to this: driver code or pseudo code that will allow the monitor to function correctly or allow the monitor to be made to function correctly? Also, I did not see any technical responses from Dell for the other posts about this question. I hope I am able to get a solution to this soon.

I have done a bit more troubleshooting. I have tried different cables the DP, the mDP, and an HDMI. What I found is that the HDMI does not have the wake from sleep issue, but the display port cables do. I saw a post on amazon indicating this was an issue with the firmware for the display port that needs to be updated and this is consistent with what I am seeing. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the display port portion and have technical information on how to get the firmware and flash it? I hope dell can help with this.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2017 17:00

Dell does not have a process to pick up this P2715Q, flash it, and then return it to you. Nor could we allow you to flash it. Firmware updates are only done in our Service Centers on returned product. The only way to get a P2715Q with the latest firmware is via a used/refurbished exchange.

July 31st, 2017 17:00

Can you confirm that the firmware for this monitor does have this bug and if so which versions? I have read at sites other than Dell that it apparently does. Since this appears to be an issue with some aspect of the monitor behaving in an anomalous way is this covered by the warranty? Otherwise or additionally, can Dell provide a code patch to the Linux community if there is a work around implemented for the driver on Windows (or at least the details of the work around)?

Again, some technical information (any technical information) would be helpful. Just telling me that you won't provide the means to update the firmware does not get me any closer to a solution. I think the monitor has a great picture and performance otherwise, but as I mentioned this is a significant issue for me.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 07:00

Can you confirm that the firmware for this monitor does have this bug and if so which versions?
* What is the 20 digit serial number and revision of your P2715Q?
* Did you purchase this P2715Q directly from Dell?

way is this covered by the warranty?
* Only if you proved the DP or mDP fault in a supported operating system.

can Dell provide a code patch to the Linux community?
* No. The P2715Q was never offered with Linux support. Thus, our Displays team has never tested in Linux, so cannot write a firmware for Linux.

No Events found!