Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2015 00:00

P2715Q, sometimes cannot wake up from power saving mode.

Hi,

I bought P2715Q 4K monitor about two weeks ago and I am suffering a problem of waking up the monitor from power saving mode.

My build and set up:
Lenovo Workstation P500
Nvidia Quadro K2200 (One DVI and two DP), with latest driver. Single monitor setup
Windows 8.1 with all the updates
P2715Q monitor revision A01, manufactured in Mar 2015, monitor driver installed under windows 8.1, connected with DP to DP cable (also tried the stock DP <->mDP cable) 

Problem =
In windows power settings, I allow monitor to go into sleep if there is no activity in 10 minutes. Then the monitor will give me a message on the screen "entering into power saving mode", then the screen goes to black and the power button LED starts dimming. This all works out as expected. When I get back to the desk and try to reactivate the monitor, the monitor just doesn't response. At this stage, the power button and all the function button on the monitor all lose their functions, I cannot even turn the monitor off by press or keep holding the power button. If I unplug the power cord and reconnect the cord, the monitor wakes up and function normally. This happened three times to me so far. 

What I have done so far =
I have bought a better quality DP-DP cable and replaced the stock DP <->mDP cable, but not help to solve the problem.
I have used a file EDID and loaded it in nVidia Quadro Driver.
Researched the Web and manually amended settings in windows registry and solved the desktop re-arranging issue, but not this cannot wake up monitor issue
Disabled the DDC/CI function in the monitor

What is the problem? Do I need to call Dell support?

Thanks

JH

8 Posts

April 28th, 2015 21:00

I have forced a file EDID in my Quadro driver for two days, seems solved the problem, I still think the DP or HDMI port timing and syncing caused the problem. I have read a lot of people had the same problem over last 5 years, Let's hope windows 10 or a new nVidia driver can solve the problem.

I will keep running the monitor with file EDID loaded in the driver. i will be back in two week's time and report whether this EDID thing really a solution.

Quoted from nVidia

What are the benefits to Managing the EDID?

Managing the EDID is useful in the following use cases:

• •In A/V environments with switchers and/or cable extenders the display EDID may be lost.
  • •Protecting against hot plug events.
  • ◦In Windows 7 and 8 if you unplug a display that will trigger a hot plug event which may reconfigure your displays.
  • ◦With the EDID being read from file the OS will always think the display is attached.
  • •You can use it to fake a display being attached for testing.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2015 14:00

Same here, but 24". Had to disable sleep, can't solve that.

8 Posts

April 27th, 2015 23:00

While I was waiting for this new 4K monitor arrival, I temporary used a Dell 2007WFT monitor with DVI connection. There is no problem at all. Everything worked perfect. With is new 4K monitor, DP 1.2 is my only option, only this can support 4K at 60Hz.

Not sure it is a monitor's problem or DP's problem

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 28th, 2015 12:00

A user of the P2415Q using AMD had similar issue. He reported that the latest AMD beta driver seemed to fix the issue. But it looks like the latest driver from Nvidia 347.88 is the newest out there. Is that version you have installed?

8 Posts

April 28th, 2015 15:00

HI Chris

Yes, 347.88 is the driver i'm using.

Any suggestion?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 28th, 2015 21:00

I doubt that the monitor is faulty on a hardware level. My gut says an exchange may have the same issue. All you can do is wait for Nvidia to release a newer beta driver and test it.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2015 05:00

Hi

as promised, I come back in about two week's time, confirmed that "file EDID" can solve this problem. it never happened again.

In addition, nVidia updated their Quadro driver and windows also updated the monitor driver to v2. not sure what has changed. but better to upgrade to the latest version.

Cheers

JH

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Branchus, Can you list the instructions, step by step. you used to do this? I can then archive them and also send them to the Displays Team. Thanks!

8 Posts

May 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi Chris

you can refer to this official nvidia support post, it has step by step instructions and explanations. The only draw back is only quadro driver has this function, normal geforce driver doesn't have this.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3569/~/managing-a-display-edid-on-windows

1 Message

July 4th, 2015 11:00

I am having the same issue with my P2715Q as well and it's happening with my Mac OS X Yosemite setup.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hi kpkeller

did you mange to get this fixed in your Mac OS X Yosemite setup?

2 Posts

November 25th, 2015 08:00

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Bought a DELL P2715Q monitor because my XPS 13 was having resizing issues on external monitor that was not 4k. Then I found out that the docking station (D3100) sold on the website does not support 4k @60Hz, so bought a seperate mDP to mDP cable to connect my XPS 13 and P2715Q directly. This finally works, but now I cannot use my P2715Q as main monitor anymore....everytime I lock windows the P2715Q monitor goes into power save mode after just one or two minutes. When I wake up the screen again and log-in all apps that were open on my laptop screen have been scrammbled and are on my P2715Q!! Apparently the power save mode causes Windows 10 to believe that there is only one monitor left. Browsed the internet but cannot find an option to disable the power save mode on the P2715Q. This used to work when I was using the D3100 docking station at 30Hz. Does anyone has a solution for this issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 09:00

"I have forced a file EDID in my Quadro driver"

Can you expand on how you did this?

1 Message

May 27th, 2016 16:00

Were you able to get this fixed?

8 Posts

May 27th, 2016 17:00

Hi

Although I forced a EDID file, but the monitor still had issues to wake up. I contacted Dell support, they sent me a used replacement, Rev A01 (same as my original one), the replacement was even worse.

Then they did a remote diagnose and confirmed this was a common issue for Dell P2715Q A01, and in order to get this sorted, I need a Rev A03 version. 

After I get the A03, the issue solved

so the only solution here is to get at least A03 revision monitor

Hope it helps

No Events found!