Highlighted
JohnMc10
1 Copper

P2815Q, U2412M, Surface Pro 3 + Dock. Flickering U2412M

Jump to solution

Hello - My configuration below =

- Surface Pro 3 (i7, intel hd 5000 video) - connected to P2815Q from surface pro 3 dock mini displayport out to monitor (full sized display port)

- P2815Q 4k monitor (in from surface pro 3 dock - using display port out to daisy chain U2412M)

- U2412m monitor (connected via display port from P2815Q displayport out)

My first issue was I couldn't get the display port out on the P2815Q to work - until I selected menu on the monitor and enabled the displayport 1.2 setting.  Now the dp port out on the P2815Q feeds the U2412M.

My problem now is that when I undock the surface and re-dock -- the U2412M flickers. I can fix the flicker issue by removing the power cord from the U2412M (last of the daisy chain) and plugging back in. It is almost like there is some type of sync issue.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Any help appreciated!

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff.Dominiack
1 Copper

RE: P2815Q, U2412M, Surface Pro 3 + Dock. Flickering U2412M

Jump to solution

I have three Surface Pro 3 Docks that were having this issue. After replacing the display-port cables that were supplied with the Dell monitors with some Star Tech cables the issue disappeared.

www.startech.com/.../6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDP2DPMM6

0 Kudos
14 Replies

Jump to solution

I am guessing that you are simply undocking the SP3 (Surface Pro 3) while it is On or in Sleep/Hibernate, correct? Those always lead to DP (DisplayPort) issues when dock/un-dock.

* All three devices are on and connected
* Turn the SP3 OFF (shutdown)
* Un-dock it
* Re-dock it
* Turn it on. Do you see the flicker on the U2412M (Yes/No)

0 Kudos
JohnMc10
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi - thanks for the follow up

I have tried using the approach as you outline above and am still experiencing the flicker.

When I power off the U2412M - the flicker does stop.

Do you have other suggestions or ideas? 

I have tried updating the displayport cable and still experiencing the same results (the flicker).

Thank you

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Is the power supply plugged into the dock? Or are you just using the SP3 battery?

0 Kudos
JohnMc10
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick response

yes - I am using the power supply that was supplied with the surface pro 3 dock

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I doubt that the monitor is defective. Agree, sounds like a sync issue. Set the SP3 Power Management to High Performance. Read this. I wonder if the flicker is part of this issue? Sleep and redock both mean the sync has to happen.

"On waking from sleep, Surface sometimes has an issue reconnecting to an external display. To fix it, unplug and re-plug the monitor connector back into the MiniDisplay port. This issue can also affect multiple daisy-chained monitors."

0 Kudos
JohnMc10
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks again for the response

The SP3 only has a balanced power plan setting... so am unable to set it to high performance as you mention.

I am able to go through the steps in the article you linked to and other external connections are working. 

Please let me know if you have other ideas or suggestions - thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
JohnMc10
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks

I was able to switch power mode to high performance

when I dock the SP3 using hp power mode -- get a new behavior - the screen just flashes and never displays - that is none of the external monitors come on

when I switch back to power save - they come on but the down stream dp connected still flashes (until I remove the power from the monitor and add it back )

Is there a specific setting in the power plan that you know that I could change under balanced that would drive

Or other suggestions?

thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am stumped. I think you are going to have to investigate on the Surface Pro 3 forums for other customers using our monitors on it. My guess is that getting a monitor exchange will only have the same issue, but you could also give that a shot.

0 Kudos