Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2017 07:00

P4317Q, DDM usage

Hello, and Happy Holidays!

I have recently upgraded from my old Dell P2407WFP to a newer, more modern Dell P4317Q.  The quality of the previous monitor still impresses me all these years later, so when it come to upgrading I had already decided "It has to be Dell".

The P4317Q is advertised as a multi-client monitor, yet the multi-client support is terrible!  With the size of the monitor, many users will have it placed out of arms reach, yet the only 'simple' way to operate the monitor is through the OSD, which isn't exactly arranged in an ideal manner for efficiency..  Unlike my previous Dell Monitor which could simply switch between inputs with a single button, and enable/switch PIP/PBP with again, a single button.  No complicated moving back and forth through a menu system while stretched 4 feet over a desk trying to read the OSD text.  I have to question why the P4317Q has such poor initial controls because, for my own use and opinion, it renders the capability and purpose of the monitor as void.  Upon researching a way around this, the best I could find was Dell Display Manager commands, and thanks to Community user 'Swamped' I was able to discern commands which I could use from my main Windows Desktop to switch between sources.  It's not ideal, but I can work with it.  Upon further reading of Swamped's expertise of the command language, he explained a method in which controlling the PBP and PIP functions could be controlled for this particular monitor (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/20026015) - none of these commands work on my end, so I did some further digging about DDM.  The user manual for the monitor Dell U3818DW shows options for controlling the inputs by a tab on DDM, and reading on the latest release of DDM it mentions

"08/02/2016 - 1.26.1754
- Improved exception handling
- Added Input Manager
- Added PIP/PBP mode hotkeys"

As an alternative to easily accessible buttons on the monitor, this seemed to be the best solution for me...  However, I don't have any such options on DDM.

So now my conundrum is whether this Monitor is right for me.  In this price range and with the Dell name behind it, I highly expected some basic features as standard.  The latest version of the DDM software does not have the features listed which would make the Monitor more assessable from a desktop input.  Is there something I am missing with this software, or is it only for particular monitors.  I feel like for a monitor where one of the top selling points is "Multi-client" that such features would be essential.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

425 Posts

February 21st, 2018 01:00

This is a firmware, not a DDM issue. Apparently the Input Manager controls in DDM depend on firmware changes incorporated into newer models like the U3818, but which haven't made it into the P4317. 

234 Posts

December 26th, 2017 12:00

You should also go here and make sure you have the latest firmware: www.dell.com/.../drivers

234 Posts

December 26th, 2017 12:00

Right-click on the DDM system tray icon, and select "Open Dell Display Manager...", then go to the "Input Manager" tab/page. You should find a number of controls for changing main and sub inputs, no?

www.delldisplaymanager.com/ddmsetup.exe

6 Posts

December 28th, 2017 15:00

Hi, and thank you for the response.  Apologies for taking a while to respond.

From the OSD menu I can see that I already have the most recent firmware, and I reinstalled the software drivers, and video card drivers to be sure I had the latest version of each installed.  I am completely up to date but still no Tab for inputs on the DDM software.  The tabs available to me are: Basic, Auto Mode, Easy Arrange and Options.

As notes, the command line interface options to switch display input between DP, DP2, HDMI1, HDMI2 and VGA all function, but the command line options you suggested in another post for controlling the PIP/PBP do not function for me.

234 Posts

December 29th, 2017 03:00

I think you'll need to ask Chris or your Dell rep about this. I was under the impression that the P4317Q shared a base feature set with monitors like the U3818DW and U3417W, but I could be wrong. If so, I apologize for misleading you...

6 Posts

December 30th, 2017 14:00

Hi, and thanks again for the response.  I was under the same impression, just less expertly.  I found it odd that the capability for this type of control exists, yet the monitor advertised as a multi-client monitor to make more use of these features it simply can't do it.  As I said in the original post, stretching across a desk to mess around with the OSD menu is not ideal for a monitor of this size, so right now I basically have a 42.5" monitor at 2-3x the cost of a TV of the same size.  I highly anticipated quality and functionality after my previous experience with Dell and my previous Monitor which has operated flawlessly in terms of functionality, quality and capability.  I am gradually losing my eyesight so the upgrade to the larger screen was to help me get around the numerous blind spots in my standard field of vision but yet, to allow me to continue to do my work between systems without the need for extra monitors and cables.

Sorry, I ramble.

I do not have a Dell rep, unfortunately, I am just a home consumer with an IT background.  I appreciate it's the holiday season and Chris will be having a well deserved break, but I really hope he finds the time to notice the post and give me an answer.

Thanks again for your time to answer, and to read my rambling on!

234 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 01:00

With the holidays and all, this thread may have escaped notice. Try posting a new question with the title "Does the P4317Q support Input Manager?" or something like that.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 17th, 2018 10:00

The DDM on the P4317Q file page was version ddmsetup1759.exe. Not sure what version you currently have installed? Did you uninstall it, reboot, then install the newest version from here? What version did it install?

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 13:00

Hi!  I had honestly given up with the issue and demoted the monitor to a single display unit; re-routed everything else back to multiple monitors.  After all the work and effort that went into making space and mounting this monitor, sending it back was not a viable option.  It's still a good monitor, just doesn't do what it's advertised for very well. And randomly loses power for a millisecond at a time at random intervals, but that's a totally different issue I'm choosing to ignore and is most likely my electrics.

The installed version of DDM was 1.31.0.1899 - this was reached by installing the version available on the P4317Q page and letting the software discover and install the update.

I have since rebooted the computer primarily using the monitor with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and the same installation method of DDM (downloaded file then automatic update) and the results are just the same.  For peace of mind I have uninstalled the software, rebooted, installed the version provided in the above link and results are still the same; no options to change the multi-client options using DDM and command lines (/SetActiveInput DP1 /SetSubInput DP2 etc) for adjusting the PxP with shortcuts do not have any effect.

Thanks!

6 Posts

February 20th, 2018 10:00

Updated to the latest patch for DDM and options are still unavailable.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2018 10:00

Many thanks for the response, Swamped.

I appreciate to at least know my original concerns with the monitor just not doing what it's advertised to do very well are the problem and not a fault on my end (I mean, a fault other than buying this monitor).  I anticipate it unlikely that Dell would release a firmware update for the monitor in the near future.   

Again, many thanks for taking your time to respond!

No Events found!