Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 22nd, 2009 07:00

PIP/PBP restrictions on the U2410f ?

I have got a new Dell UltraSharp U2410f monitor a few days ago. I wanted to use the PIP mode with DVI-D and HDMI as the two sources, but the monitor does not allow it (neither 2 x DVI-D)! I can only select from VGA, DisplayPort, Component or Composite for the secondary picture in case of the main screen's source is DVI-D or HDMI.

The official web-pages and user guides (on the CD that came with the monitor) has no word on this restriction. Though, it seems those are for the U2410 really (without the "f" at the end). So, is this perhaps the restriction of the model variant with the "f" at the end of the name? If it is not the case, then I don't think this is fair this way...

It's a serious issue then, I think, as this way one cannot pair the picture sourced from a HDMI connection (a digital cable tuner, DVD-player, Blu-ray player, etc.) and the picture from a PC connected via DVI-D, neither two PC's in PBP mode if both connected via DVI-D.

There are two alternatives: 1. using VGA instead of DVD-D, but it is a big compromise, even Dell recommends using DVD-D, instead of VGA; 2. using DisplayPort, but there is no DisplayPort on most videocards, as of yet...

BTW, this monitor is factory calibrated to a gamma value of about 1.8, instead of 2.2 -- or is it just mine?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 07:00

So, is this perhaps the restriction of the model variant with the "f" at the end of the name?
* No. It applies to any monitor with DVI and HDMI.

* Where do you see the 1.8 gamma value? The OSD (On Screen Display)  - Color Settings menu only mentions Gamma = PC or MAC.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 15:00

* No. It applies to any monitor with DVI and HDMI.

I don't think this is the case f.ex. with some Eizo's, like FX2431, HD2442W, and so on. Even if the case is this usually, do Dell suppose customers are aware of it, that they do not mention it at all?

And, what about DVI-D + DVI-D in PBP mode? There are quite a few monitors of other brands that are capable of PBP using two DVI-D inputs. The Dell U2410 is even advertised with a picture showing the monitor with two PC's screen on it at once: link <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>. Again, no word on it that it cannot be done here using the two DVI-D inputs that the monitor has. And again, an unpleasant surprise if you found it out only at home.

* Where do you see the 1.8 gamma value? The OSD (On Screen Display)  - Color Settings menu only mentions Gamma = PC or MAC.

Right, but there are color calibrators, you know. But you can tell it without one, as well, using this test image: link

Several people has told me that they have a feeling there is something wrong (regarding contrast and the like) with the U2410 (without post-calibration). And I think it's obviously because of the too low gamma! After calibrated to the much more usual 2.2, it's much better on the eyes. Though, not everybody has a color calibrator at home... I cannot undersand why Dell chose to pre-calibrate this monitor to a gamma value of about 1.8 in "PC" mode, and an even lower gamma value of about 1.5 in "MAC" mode.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 28th, 2009 06:00

What specific calibrator are you using to measure gamma value?

6 Posts

September 28th, 2009 16:00

X-rite's Eye-One Display 2. But I've found out it's ~1.8/~1.5 only in Standard mode.

In Adobe RGB and sRGB modes it has the right values.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 07:00

Can you use display port as teh primary and DVI as the secondary PIP? I just bought a U2410 and have a video card with two DP ports and a single DVI. I just hooked up the DP thinking it would be better?

Any thoughts since you've had yours longer?

Thank you.

Sal

2 Posts

September 19th, 2010 11:00

I just received my U2410f from Dell. I was also disappointed by the fact that I could not use DVI-D or HDMI for the full screen and the other for the PIP screen. I did connect my cable box up using RGB component connections. 

I previously used a Gateway FPD2485W which also had PIP and Rotate capability. I started having problems with getting it to start. The only monitor I found that had similar capability was the U2410 and it looked like I could use HDMI rather than S-Video or Componet RGB connections.

Probably my biggest disappointment is that the PIP screen does not fade when moused over so that I can view the PC Window. Does anyone know of software that will allow me to fade the PIP screen when the mouse is positioned in the PIP screen area?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 20th, 2010 11:00

VGA & DVI,HDMI,DP,Component,Composite
DVI & VGA,DP,Component,Composite
HDMI & VGA,DP,Component,Composite
DP & VGA,DVI,HDMI,Component,Composite
Component & VGA,DVI,HDMI,DP,Composite
Composite & VGA,DVI,HDMI,DP,Component

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 21st, 2010 16:00

I have never heard of that software.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2010 16:00

I have the PIP screen in the upper left corner. At times, Windows displays dialog boxes in this same area. I can't see them unless I turn off the pip screen. On my old Gateway monitor, when I would move the mouse pointer into the pip screen area, the PIP screen would dim allowing me to view anything that was behind it. I am sure it was done via software control. Does Dell have similar software? If yes, how do I get a copy. If NO, why not?

NDS

4 Posts

October 7th, 2010 14:00

Yes, just found that out at home!!!

What if I use DP and connect it to a DVI adapter, would that work? Or has it to be VGA to VGA, DVI to DVI and such.....meaning no use of adapters?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 11th, 2010 07:00

We never tested with adapters.

No Events found!