Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2004 17:00

People with Dell 2001FP LCD

I've got a question for you guys.  Im interested in getting it, however im scared of the number of dead pixels I might get since it's such a large panel.  If you have the monitor does yours have any dead pixels on it?  If so are the noticable?  Thanks!

23 Posts

January 12th, 2004 19:00

Thanks for the response.  Would you reccomend this monitor?

88 Posts

January 12th, 2004 19:00

I've got one dead pixel in the upper right hand corner which also has a small slightly brighter splotch. Dell sent a new replacement which is much worse than my current 2001 (September build, 5-6 of dead pixels, and horrible backlight leakage). Sending back the "replacement" and might just keep the original (October build) as it isn't really noticeable. For a large LCD panel a few (1-2 or so) stuck pixels is industry standard I think.

417 Posts

January 14th, 2004 00:00

Our 2001FP seems to be perfect - not a single pixel dead or amiss. Here our observations:

Refresh rate - this is one of the faster/fastest LCDs around, and it is a 20.1" display - makes a HUGE difference if you want watch DVDs, movies or fast gaming et. live video chatting and so on.

Missing software - We are still trying to get Dell to tell us where the pivot/rotating software is, because it is not in the ATI catylist 3.10 control panel/display stuff. So we are unable to use the 2001FP in potrait mode. (Dell ya listening?)

Digital vs Analogue - There seems to be some problems reported here in forum where people set up 2001FP using analogue and then change the connection to DVI (digital) and seems the 2001FP gets stuck, or it may be the graphics card they are using  -- this is unclear to us. So we have not used it in analogue mode, only digital.  What we suspect is people buy the 2001FP but hook it up to a low/mid range video card, or an older one..

Video Card we use the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card - works great. We use it with ATI's release set of the catalyst drivers, not the Dell set. (Dell even says go to ATI's website to upgrade).

Video Resolution - We use it at 1600x1200 32bit color. So far everything is very crisp. This is what is called VESA as opposed to the lowly VGA

Monitor itself - the top of it gets hot - seems to be very hot in contrast to our other LCD displays.

Install etc, You will have to manually install the monitor driver - Windows XP will see it only as a generic plug N play monitor. We do wish the DVI cable was longer.

What we wish for? I wish it had a built in ambiant light sensor, so that would be user configureable so that as the room becomes brighter the monitor would accordingly begin to increase the brightness automatically and or lower it as the room darkens.

Sound bar - not purchased - and from what other people have said - not that great - but of course that is all subjective.

Price, In the 2 weeks since we bought the 2001FP, Dell has reduced the price by 100 plus bucks.

Brightness - This is one VERY bright display LOL, so bright at night it hurts the eyes! So you sort of do need ambiant indirect lighting so you not fatigue your eyes

I think some of the troubles people encounter, and again this is just speculation is that people often times do not have a good balance of components. That is they may have a high end display,but a medicore graphics card, which may be installed on yet an even slower/older PC. So seems to us that when you have such significant skew of components, problems emerge, and this is not an observation about the 2001FP, just an overview. And something to keep in mind as you make your decisions about what components and all you want.

Our system is a 8300 P4 2.8Ghz, with 800 FSB, and 1GB 400hz RAM. XP Pro, and with the full 3 year warranty extension, and 3 year service contract with the 3 year accidental stuff added. We are paying all this extra money because of the size of the investment of equipment and certainly to protect us against some of the newer pieces such as the new 2001FP which not yet have a proven record.

Hope this is of some help.

23 Posts

January 14th, 2004 01:00

Wow, thank you so much for your great response.  I bought the 2001FP and I will hopefully be getting it in a few days.  I have one more question for you.  When did you order the monitor?  Was it recent?   Thank you again!!  Very helpful!

10 Posts

January 14th, 2004 02:00

Ok correction: No dead pixels (they were just dust particles) but slightly brighter splotch in upper right corner still present. I love this screen and the clarity but it does consume quite a bit of power for a LCD panel. In order to pivot the screen you either need the software or can go into the system registry and edit a line which will give you a tab in the graphics display to switch orientations. Mine was manufactured in October. The replacement was September (which I'm sending back). No ghosting either. You won't be disappointed!

Best,
-Adam

417 Posts

January 14th, 2004 10:00

Stern do you have any info on the portrait/landscape pivot/rotate stuff? We are using the ATI 9800 Pro card with the 2001FP with the ATI catalyst 3.10 driver/control panel suite. But the option to rotate the display is not on any of the tabs. You mention a registry... Will this add a rotate or something to the control panel? We are starting to get frustrated and need to be sure that we can indeed use the monitor in either landscape or portrait and want to do this prior to our 30 day limit... Appreciate any info you can on this. Thanks

88 Posts

January 14th, 2004 13:00

This is from a previous post for users with ATI cards. I haven't attempted it yet but plan on doing so tonight when I update to 3.10 (running 9800XT). Other option is to purchase software like Pivot Pro.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=27579&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

Hope that helps.

-Adam

Message Edited by Sterndogg02 on 01-14-2004 09:17 AM

417 Posts

January 15th, 2004 02:00

Thanks, it sure is fun reading everything in "news paper/fish wrap" mode! Just a recap, we using the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 128MB and we did the registry bit change, works great, there is a tad slowness, particularly the mouse will stall while the screen is redrawing such as when IE is waiting on the page. Glad this is here we will test it out to see how well it works for our publishing needs. If this is too slow, this may very well be the reason why ATI omitted the rotate tab (perhaps to continue to fix/update the catalyst before formally adding it. Just our guess on why it may be AWOL at this time.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

January 15th, 2004 07:00

pivot software is usually not provided with dell lcd,s , have read this in the reviews .

viewsonic offers pivot pro with their lcds, works great-

http://www.portriat.com/

417 Posts

January 15th, 2004 09:00

Yes I see why too. And I think its how Dell has mucked up the BIOS in part. If you have the ATI Radeon et to potrait and you reboot, the display during boot up will still be landscape until the welcome/login screen appears in XP PRo, it is with the login screen that things are finally being redrawn in portrait mode by the card. The other is there are serious mouse stalls whenever the card is busy redrawing, such as waiting on pages in IE to load.There is also the ATI controller displaying the wrong refresh rate, (clik the tab with the group of monitors on it an it will show Dell LCD 60Hz) even though you have it in the display settings have manually set it to 70Hz. I would hope that between Dell and ATI that these types of things will be fixed soon.

What does www.portrait.com have to do with this? It is a website for artists! Nothing there I could see that connects to this topic.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Seventy on 01-15-2004 07:02 AM

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

January 15th, 2004 10:00

costcos might sell the 2001fp soon, they still have the 2000fp. if you belong to costcos, might get it there. they have a great return policy if you have some dead pixels

Message Edited by ronss on 01-15-2004 06:31 AM

No Events found!