BHN54
1 Nickel

Popping Sound in Monitor

Jump to solution

Hello Community,

My Dell 2408WFP ultrasharp monitor started making popping sounds earlier this year and continue to do so. Although the sounds are not continuous, they are very noticeable when they happen. The monitor will be four years old in November, but I use it a lot for my work. What could be causing the popping sounds?

Thank you in advance. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Popping Sound in Monitor

Jump to solution

Hi BHN54,

Noise from a desktop monitor could be caused due to static charge or sparking inside the monitor. Try looking through the vents and check if you notice any sparks when the popping noise occurs.

Please try the following steps as well:

1. Remove power and data cable from the monitor. Hold down the monitor power button for 10 seconds. Connect the cables and check if you still face the issue.
  2. Connect the monitor power cord straight to a A/C outlet, bypassing any surge protector or UPS.
  3. Reset the monitor to factory settings from the Onscreen Display (OSD) and check. For more information on the OSD, refer to the link below:

http://dell.to/X8BE4R

4. Change the Refresh rate in the Operating System through Display properties and check. For steps to change the refresh rate, check the link below:

http://bit.ly/Tqyyot

Let me know if you need more information or assistance. I will be glad to help.

Thanks and regards,
GauravS
#iworkfordell

Jump to solution

BHN54,

How important is it to bypass a surge protector and plug the monitor(s) directly into an A/C outlet?
* In troubleshooting, very important. The culprit could be the surge protectors so they must be removed from the setup. Even if it means moving the monitor closer to a wall outlet.

* The manual list the following -
Optimal preset resolution 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz (Vertical Frequency)
Highest preset resolution 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz (Vertical Frequency)

I think your looking at the Horizontal Frequency for 1920 x 1200.

Jump to solution

In Windows 7, when a user selects 60Hz, the operating system stores a value of 59.94Hz. 59Hz is shown in the Screen Refresh Rate in the Control Panel even though the user selected 60Hz. This is normal.

6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi BHN54,

Noise from a desktop monitor could be caused due to static charge or sparking inside the monitor. Try looking through the vents and check if you notice any sparks when the popping noise occurs.

Please try the following steps as well:

1. Remove power and data cable from the monitor. Hold down the monitor power button for 10 seconds. Connect the cables and check if you still face the issue.
  2. Connect the monitor power cord straight to a A/C outlet, bypassing any surge protector or UPS.
  3. Reset the monitor to factory settings from the Onscreen Display (OSD) and check. For more information on the OSD, refer to the link below:

http://dell.to/X8BE4R

4. Change the Refresh rate in the Operating System through Display properties and check. For steps to change the refresh rate, check the link below:

http://bit.ly/Tqyyot

Let me know if you need more information or assistance. I will be glad to help.

Thanks and regards,
GauravS
#iworkfordell

BHN54
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Gaurav,

I executed all of your instructions except the second one. Unfortunately, I have two surge protector plugged in the one A/C outlet near the computer.  The other outlets in the room are too far to reach with the monitor's power cord. How important is it to bypass a surge protector and plug the monitor(s) directly into an A/C outlet?

As for the refresh rate, according to the information on the monitor's refresh rate, it should be set at no less than 75 hertz. However, at the recommended resolution (i.e., 1920x1200), the refresh rate modes at this resolution that can be displayed are either 59 or 60 hertz, true color, 32-bit. Why is there a difference between the recommended refresh rate (i.e., 75 hertz) and actual the refresh rate set by the monitor's software driver via Windows 7?

Thus, the monitor still make the popping sound, although its frequency varies.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

BHN54,

How important is it to bypass a surge protector and plug the monitor(s) directly into an A/C outlet?
* In troubleshooting, very important. The culprit could be the surge protectors so they must be removed from the setup. Even if it means moving the monitor closer to a wall outlet.

* The manual list the following -
Optimal preset resolution 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz (Vertical Frequency)
Highest preset resolution 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz (Vertical Frequency)

I think your looking at the Horizontal Frequency for 1920 x 1200.

BHN54
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Chris,

Each time I reset the refresh rate from 59 Hz to 60 Hz, the driver via Windows 7 always returns it to 59 Hz. Do you have any insights why this may be happening?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

In Windows 7, when a user selects 60Hz, the operating system stores a value of 59.94Hz. 59Hz is shown in the Screen Refresh Rate in the Control Panel even though the user selected 60Hz. This is normal.

Highlighted
BHN54
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Chris.  

Great answers! The frequency of the popping sound from the monitor has lessened. I think when I rearrange my computer setup to have access to a usable A/C outlet, the monitor will be free of the annoying sound. Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

MP 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos