Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2014 22:00

Possible to connect XPS 8700 desktop to two UZ2315H monitors ?

I have just purchased a XPS 8700 desktop and two UZ2315H multimedia monitors, both of which I had intended to connect to the desktop. I have just received the monitors.

The connection requires a USB upstream cable and either a HDMI, DP (M to mini DP) or VGA connection. All cable types except the VGA which I don't require are supplied.

I can connect one monitor with the supplied HDMI cable, but as the desktop only has one HDMI port the only other logical choice for the second monitor connection for the desktop is DP. The cable supplied is a DP Male to mini-DP. My issue is both the monitor and the desktop require a DP Male.

If I get a DP Male to DP Male cable will it work ?

In any case, is the connection of these two multimedia type monitors really workable ?

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 08:00

The XPS 8700 I purchased (but not yet received) will come with the 'AMD Radeon™ HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5' video card as provided :

http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=x210422au&model_id=xps-8700

From my understanding of the connections, I can use Slot 8 as a HDMI connection for one of the monitors. For the second monitor I can use a DP connection. My issue is that the cable supplied with the monitor is a DP Male to mini-DP. The monitor requires a DP male slot, however Slot 9 on the desktop as shown above is the DP port which also appears to be for a DP Male. So my question is, if I get a DP Male to DP Male cable will it work ?

Also, not being an expert with computers is the connection of these two multimedia type monitors to the XPS 8700 really workable ?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 08:00

Let's backup. On the XPS 8700, did you purchase the additional discrete video card? If yes, what ports are on it? In the picture below, the center HDMI port (8) is the onboard port which should NOT be used if you have the discrete video card (11, 12, 13).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 22:00

8 an 9 are controlled by the low end onboard HD4600. You do not want to use them. Connect both monitors to the high end AMD Radeon R9 270. It has the following ports =
DVI-I
DVI-D
DP
HDMI

Video card DP port --> DP to DP cable --> monitor 1 DP port

Video card HDMI port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> monitor 2 HDMI port

Then go into the displays setting and turn on dual monitor extended mode.

1 Message

April 15th, 2016 13:00

The back of my computer looks like this, so I don't have 13 to connect the way you listed.  What do I do?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 16th, 2016 20:00

So you are saying that you too have two UZ2315H monitors and that your video card has DVI, HDMI, and VGA out ports? If yes,

Video card HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> #1 UZ2315H HDMI in
Video card VGA out --> VGA to VGA cable --> #2 UZ2315H VGA in

No Events found!