Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2016 15:00

Query with brand new U2417HA

I purchased a brand new U2417HA just over a week ago. The hardware revision is A01 and the build date is June 2016.

The monitor is connected to my Dell Inspiron 17R SE via HDMI which runs Windows 10 Pro and is configured to extend the desktop. The laptop uses an Intel HD graphics card and an NVIDIA GT650M but I'm pretty sure both screens are currently running off the Intel.

Comparing the two screens side-by-side, the new U2417HA appears to have warmer colours - whites have a somewhat yellow tint - not bright white like the 17R and blues are washed out compared to blues on the laptop which are deep and rich. Also around the bezel of the U2417HA the screen seems to fade to black for the remaining 50mm instead of just being cut off by the bezel as is the case on the laptop. It's also noticeably darker in the lower corners.

If I drag my browser (Firefox) between screens and compare the colours, the laptop screen has a noticeable much deeper blue compared to the U2417HA which is definitely warmer and somewhat washed out.

This is not what I was expecting from Dell. I understand the laptop may not be an IPS monitor, but surely one would expect the IPS monitor to be pumping out richer, more vibrant colours?

On the U2417HA, I have tried every preset and every option available, also tried turning up/down the brightness/contrast but to no avail - the laptop monitor is the winner every time in terms of colour reproduction/accuracy. I have also checked I am running the latest Dell driver and DDM application along with the latest Intel and NVIDIA drivers with all the settings set to defaults.

I'm a web designer and software developer so having a screen with a decent colour accuracy is paramount.

I read on these forums that a new hardware revision (A02) was due out in October. Is that correct and, if so, would that resolve the issues I am having?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 18:00

On this monitor was it bought from Dell or a reseller? I am just curious because of the build date. Also have you had any luck trying to get the screen configured through the Nvidia Control Panel? You will want to make that the settings that you change there are reflecting what is on the monitor.

Another thing I would check on the monitor settings is the color temp, with the description you're giving it might be off if it was changed. You might not be able to get a direct 1:1 without proper calibration but it does sound like there is something off with the settings.

We also do not have direct information on the hw revisions, but I am not aware of A01-02 making a difference in panel performance.  

Best regards,

Brad

25 Posts

December 10th, 2016 16:00

It was bought from Ballicom UK who are a Dell partner. I have now submitted a case on the Dell website and noticed when I entered the Service Tag, the "ship date" said July 2016. The only reason I didn't buy from Dell was because of the price difference - it's £215 from Ballicom, compared to £312 from Dell. Maybe that's why - they are selling old stock? Is that legal without stating so?

www.ballicom.co.uk/210-ahzu-dell-ultrasharp-u2417ha.p1226562.html

www1.euro.dell.com/.../dell-u2417ha-monitor

I don't know if there is a way to use the NVIDIA chipset instead of the Intel. There certainly isn't an option to use one or the other, not even in the BIOS. The BIOS is pretty much option-less, as if it's locked down.

But still, the same colour reproduction occurs on my Xbox One connected via HDMI. I don't have any DP or mDP devices.

As for the colour temp, I have tried the "temp" preset and the different levels, but none match or come close to what the laptop is displaying.

To prove it's not the laptop, before I bought the U2417HA, I tried a friend's BenQ RL2455HM which is a TN-panel with a 1ms response time, just to see whether I could do dual-screen mode. I know it's a different panel, but the BenQ in my opinion looked better than my U2417HA and the colour reproduction compared to the laptop was pretty much the same. There was also no black halo around the bezel and whites were bright white instead of yellowy. As I say, I only bought the IPS because I heard that IPS was best for those that design websites and need accurate colours!

25 Posts

December 10th, 2016 16:00

It was bought from Ballicom UK who are a Dell partner. I have now submitted a case on the Dell website and noticed when I entered the Service Tag, the "ship date" said July 2016. The only reason I didn't buy from Dell was because of the price difference - it's £215 from Ballicom, compared to £312 from Dell. Maybe that's why - they are selling old stock? Is that legal without stating so?

www.ballicom.co.uk/210-ahzu-dell-ultrasharp-u2417ha.p1226562.html

www1.euro.dell.com/.../dell-u2417ha-monitor

I don't know if there is a way to use the NVIDIA chipset instead of the Intel. There certainly isn't an option to use one or the other, not even in the BIOS. The BIOS is pretty much option-less, as if it's locked down.

But still, the same colour reproduction occurs on my Xbox One connected via HDMI. I don't have any DP or mDP devices.

As for the colour temp, I have tried the "temp" preset and the different levels, but none match or come close to what the laptop is displaying.

To prove it's not the laptop, before I bought the U2417HA, I tried a friend's BenQ RL2455HM which is a TN-panel with a 1ms response time, just to see whether I could do dual-screen mode. I know it's a different panel, but the BenQ in my opinion looked better than my U2417HA and the colour reproduction compared to the laptop was pretty much the same. There was also no black halo around the bezel and whites were bright white instead of yellowy. As I say, I only bought the IPS because I heard that IPS was best for those that design websites and need accurate colours.

25 Posts

December 12th, 2016 14:00

This happened last night for the first time. When it occurred, I immediately did a power cycle and disconnected all the video cables but the problem (and the weird output with icons and text) persisted. The menu buttons would not respond and any amount of power cycling or simply turning off the monitor and back on via the button did not make the weird picture disappear. In the end, leaving the monitor alone for about 5-10 minutes made the monitor go into self-test mode and then it was back to normal. But why did this occur to begin with? In all my life as an IT Manager, I have never seen this before.

Putting it nicely, is it safe to say my monitor is broken?

Notice the black halo around the bezel too. Obviously it's more noticeable here, but why is the halo there?

Upon the monitor returning to the self-test screen, I tried using the built-in diagnostics (see 3rd picture) which still displays a slight halo which is more noticeable around the left, right and bottom edges. Also just to confirm, this problem occurred with the default settings.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii557/davidenco/IMG_4622_zpscckemt1y.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii557/davidenco/IMG_4623_zpsu5kinxqk.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii557/davidenco/IMG_4624_zpstdeftsbf.jpg

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 13th, 2016 21:00

Unfortunately I am not sure on 3rd party seller rules/law since I am in the states and it could vary by region, but this certainly would explain the firmware/build date being older. Do you know who you would need to get an exchange from or if you can return it to the reseller? I am thinking if possible I would try to see about having this replaced (at the minimum).

I know you asked me about the Nvidia question but if the colors are that off even on different sources it sounds like it probably is a bad display and would not matter, especially with the other issues you have described.

Let me know what you hear back, I was honestly hoping it would be an easier fix.

Best regards,

Brad 

No Events found!