dedicated
3 Argentum

Re: Recommend LCD Monitor

Thanks Ortleeb,

I'm going for the 1901FP. They have a good deal at $611.00. That includes a 10% discount and free shipping. I think it will be fine for me. Big compared to the 17" crt I presently have. My playing of games is rare. My generation is not hand eye coordinated like you young people. I see that all the time with my grandchildren. My son is always having some problems with his games and is always tweaking something or another. But he has the patience and dedication.

Thank you for your help. You made my mind up.

And again thanks for everyones advice. I think Dell's community is great.

Jerry

0 Kudos
ortleeb
3 Zinc

Excellent choice. My friend absolutely loves his. Have fun with it...if you can keep your son and grandchildren away from it.
0 Kudos
RBoutin835
2 Bronze

I have read that LCD Monitors require high resolution,thereby creating more "real estate" and consequently smaller fonts.  As I am also retired and do not have the best  vision, I wonder if an LCD Monitor is the best choice?

Can ayone comment?

0 Kudos
talmy
4 Beryllium

"High Resolution" doesn't mean tiny text. From Display Properties, go to Settings, press Advanced. The DPI setting can be increased which will make text bigger. My 84 year old parents use LCD monitors with no problems, and my mother has cataracts. But the fonts are enlarged using the Windows settings.
0 Kudos
ortleeb
3 Zinc

The 1901FP that dedicated is getting has a native (default) resolution of 1280X1024 pixels. Even with the finer, higher native resolution of 1600X1200 pixels that the some LCD's have (like the 2001FP and some of the higher-end notebook monitors), the image quality is excellent and the text is clear and very readable. If you have a BestBuy or CompUSA near you, you can view LCD monitors of almost every native resolution and quality and you can judge for yourself.

0 Kudos
ronss
5 Rhenium

i have the viewsonic vp171b , really like it. its not cheap, but quality cost.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-276&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&d...

dell sells this monitor too

viewsonic also has the new vp201-its 20.1 inch, 16ms speed, but very expensive-$1159.

planar has some 16ms monitors are suppose to be great, but costs a lot.

0 Kudos
dedicated
3 Argentum

I'm happy that I made the decision on the Dell on the 1901FP. As a matter of fact I got PC World latest edition and of all the LCD's in 17" and 19" Dell got the best rating overall. The only downside is the 3 week waiting for your order to be shipped. Maybe they'll get it out sooner. They shipped my Dimension 8300 the next day at 6AM. Too fast, they didn't install my Radeon 9800 Pro. So I had to do that myself. Interesting observation for me and that is "When Dell is good, they are great" and "When they are bad, they are really bad" . It's the luck of the Draw.

I think I should establish a "Senior Citizen Branch on the forum". Answering the needs and understanding of our unique problems, both physical and mental (Senior moments). I'll tell you that computers have been my life line for me, and when my daughter had cancer, it helped me greatly . Unfortunatly she lost her battle.

Good chatting with you all and look forward to more good interaction with everyone. I don't have any bad things to say about the forum. Only good . I believe that all people are good, i.e. until proven wrong. I have been through a lot of experiences both good and bad where you have to depend on others and they do come through.

Thank you again I wish the best to everyone.

Jerry

0 Kudos
dedicated
3 Argentum

Hi,

Got a question for you?

With all the "Stuff" on the forum about the nividia video cards and the power sleep issue. There are about 26 pages of problems with the LCDs. Only in DVI mode. The analog works fine. After researching some sites, the issue is with the DVI standards and premature failures of components on Nividia cards. It seems all the ATI cards are fine. I was wondering how you handle the power management on LCDs. Can you handle this the same as CRT management. Can you turn them off with similar settings or do they require special treatment. I always like to get a head start on issues.

When I ordered my LCD on Saturday, they told me approx. 3 weeks. Guess what they shipped it Sunday AM. Wow!!

Jerry

0 Kudos
ortleeb
3 Zinc

When I got my 1702FP, I just hooked it up (DVI) and that was it. Power management's never been an issue...matter of fact, I've never even thought about it. I have an ATi 9800 so maybe that's the reason. I note that my Windows "Power Schemes" is set to turn the monitor off after 10 min of inactivity (which it does) but that's gotta be the default setting b/c I've never touched it...wiggle the mouse a little and it fires right back up.
0 Kudos
talmy
4 Beryllium

I've got a Gainward card with an NVidia FX 5200 specifically for my 2001FP with DVI, and it works fine. both power save and system standby have no problems. Same thing was true for my 1702FP with a Matrox G550. All other LCD monitors I've dealt with (runing analog) have also had no problems with these things. This is 6 monitors total. They get no special treatment.
0 Kudos