dechdi
2 Bronze

Re: Recommend LCD Monitor

Hi all, thanks for the helpful information regarding LCD 's

I am thinking of calling Dell and ordering the 8300, but I want to up grade the monitor with the tv/monitor.  I came here to see if I could get advice.  Honestly now I am confused, is the Dell LCD good or not ?

0 Kudos
ronss
5 Rhenium

decbdje

will tell a what i would do, if you have lots of money, get this one-

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-299&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&d...

this monitor should make most happy-but most folks are like me, hey , i don,t have a $1000+.

since i don,t have a $1000, i would consider some of these - they all should be fine lcd,s-

dell 2001fp

dell 1901fp

samsung 191t+

viewsonic vp171b

planar px171m

samsung  213t silver- again , more money

if you are a gamer-viewsonic vp201s-vp171b-dell 2001fp-planar px171m

these are the ones that seem to top my list, but you have to do some homework, lot of manufacturers and new models

Message Edited by ronss on 02-09-2004 01:38 AM

0 Kudos
MoonDogGuy
2 Bronze

I was thinking of purchasing the Dell 4800 computer with a Dell 1901fp monitor.  Is the integrated graphics that come statndard on the 4800 o.k. to use on this monitor or should I upgrade to one of the optional add on video cards Dell lists for the 4800?  If so, which one would be the minimal I need for this monitor?  Could I really tell the difference? 

0 Kudos
talmy
4 Beryllium

There is an improvement, although it won't be major. There will also be a performance (speed) improvement you can see over the integrated graphics. Considering the low relative cost of getting a video card compared to that of the monitor, I'd certainly get the card.
0 Kudos
ortleeb
3 Zinc

@MoonDogGuy wrote:

I was thinking of purchasing the Dell 4800 computer with a Dell 1901fp monitor.  Is the integrated graphics that come statndard on the 4800 o.k. to use on this monitor or should I upgrade to one of the optional add on video cards Dell lists for the 4800?  If so, which one would be the minimal I need for this monitor?  Could I really tell the difference? 

I think you mean the Dimension 4600 and, yes, if you're going to get a really nice monitor like the 1901FP, you should configure the system with a video card. The situation is this: the monitor can be hooked up one of two ways, Digital DVI-D or Analog RGB. The monitor performs best and will give you the best quality using the Digital DVI-D hook up. The problem with the integrated graphics is that it does not support Digital DVI-D and you'll be stuck using the Analog RGB feed. Dell only gives you 2 choices on the video card. The nVidia card will probably be OK but I'd opt for the ATi 9800 Pro. And definitely get the free 512MB RAM upgrade. With the Intel 2.8GHz processor, you'll have a very nice performing system.

0 Kudos
BubbaLicious
2 Bronze

Previously you mentioned a few good 'gaming' monitors.  I have heard about the Viewsonic VP201b and VP201s, but have not seen ANY reviews anywhere, especially from a gaming perspective.

Any idea how the VP201b and VP201s compare to the 2001FP?

Also, for the VP201b, I have seen the response rated as BOTH 25ms(typ), and 16ms(typ).  Most non-US sites list the 25ms speed (including Viewsonic's non-US sites), but Tiger Direct, and Viewsonic US list it as 16ms(typ).  Any idea which is the 'true' response time?  Did viewsonic update the product recently - ie. if I buy a 'newer' VP201b, I'll get 16ms, instead of the 'older' 25ms? 

I think the uniformly thin black bezel of the VP201 looks better than the 2001FP too.

Thanks for any info / comments!

David

P.S.  When is Dell going to have a 20% or 25% sale again on the 2001FP?!?!  (need the sale because shipping to Hawaii is almost $100 for just the monitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

0 Kudos
ronss
5 Rhenium

reviews are sometimes hard to come by with lcds, could be the costs involved maybe. here is one that has short reviews on a few large lcds-

http://www.itp.net/reviews/?cat1=hardware&cat2=display&cat3=monitors

Message Edited by ronss on 02-14-2004 05:49 AM

Message Edited by ronss on 02-14-2004 05:50 AM

0 Kudos
BubbaLicious
2 Bronze

Thanks for the reply and reviews.  I checked them out, and also got a reply on arstechnica.com OpenForums too.  Consensus is that the VP201s IS 16ms but sells for $1100+, and the VP201b is still 25ms.

I don't have the $1100+ so I am 100% certain I will get the 2001FP - just need to convince the fiance.  I play games quite a bit so I need a fast response time.  And can use the 'extra' screen real estate for web surfing, and graphic design.

Now, just need to figure out when Dell is going to have a 20% or 25% off sale, or buy the FP2001 off of Ebay (for $735).  I just moved from San Francisco to Hawaii, and the movers broke my old 19" Mitsubishi DiamondPro 900u. 😞  (I am borrowing a friend's 'spare' 15" flat panel).

Anyone have any idea as to how often Dell has these sales, and how often the 20% or 25% sales come around?

Mucho thanks!

David Nunes

Message Edited by BubbaLicious on 02-14-2004 07:15 PM

0 Kudos
ronss
5 Rhenium

check the small biz now and then. they were have the discounts every 2 or 3 weeks, and its on the weekends mostly i noticed. i may get something later this year, but hopefully from costco,s, they have a great return policy if there are dead pixels. i hate em, and costcos has a excellent return policy.

0 Kudos