Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2013 10:00

Regarding a review at Dell.com

A few weeks ago on 7/6/13 I left a review on the Dell S2440L and was curious as to the status of my reveiw. I had first inquired via 'chat' The contents are as follows

07/25/2013 11:16:10AM Session Started with Agent
07/25/2013 11:16:10AM
07/25/2013 11:16:14AM Agent: "Welcome to Dell Customer Care Chat! My name is Arshweer. How may I assist you today?"
07/25/2013 11:17:09AM : "Hi, I left a review on a Dell S244L monitor a few weeks ago and it has yet to be posted on the website, although I do see others that were made after mine. I was wanting to inquire on the status of my review."
07/25/2013 11:17:19AM : "*S2440L"
07/25/2013 11:17:38AM Agent "I am sorry to know that, let me see what best can be done."
07/25/2013 11:17:58AM Agent"May I please get the link for the web site you posted it on?"
07/25/2013 11:18:19AM : "sure 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

07/25/2013 11:18:29AM Agent (): "Thank you."
07/25/2013 11:18:44AM : "np"
07/25/2013 11:20:08AM Agent (): "I appreciate your patience."
07/25/2013 11:20:13AM Agent (): "I am still checking on it."
07/25/2013 11:20:36AM : "That's fine ^_^"
07/25/2013 11:21:10AM Agent (): "Thank you."
07/25/2013 11:22:48AM Agent (): "Thank you for being so patient."
07/25/2013 11:22:54AM : "np"
07/25/2013 11:22:58AM Agent (): "I would request you to please use the link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx ."
07/25/2013 11:23:16AM Agent (): "And discuss your concern in our discussion forum."
07/25/2013 11:24:13AM : "under peripherals? I assume?"
07/25/2013 11:24:23AM Agent (): "Yes."
07/25/2013 11:24:59AM : "Okay, I'll go that route... I do appreciate you time. Have a great day."
07/25/2013 11:25:10AM Agent ("I appreciate your patience. I am sorry could not help you much this time around. Thank you for choosing Dell. We appreciate your Business."
07/25/2013 11:25:25AM : "Take care"

That brief conversation had brought me here to the forums where I am continuing my search for the missing review.  My review may not have been anything 'spectacular' but I did put my time into it, and I don't appreciate it being wasted, especially without any notification which seems like a total lack of customer care. The review is as follows just in case it was "lost" or cannot be retrieved for whatever reason.

!!!!-IMPORTANT-!!!
IF YOU USE AN NVIDIA GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) YOU MUST ENABLE "CyCbCr444" INSTEAD OF "RGB" IN THE "NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL" UNDER "DESKTOP COLOR SETTINGS", OTHERWISE THE COLORS WILL BE WASHED OUT AND THE CONTRAST WILL BE MINIMAL (Black=Grey)
 Also if text/pictures look too sharp, then turn off "Image Enhance".

Now then on to the good stuff ^_^

DISPLAY:
This Monitor is fantastic in a light controlled environment. The screen is very glossy due to the Glass surface, this makes the color and contrast much better than the matte panels because the light isn't being diffused by an anti glare coating before reaching your eye. Just be sure that you aren't going to put this in a sun room, or in an area where a "source of light" will be able to shine directly onto It and into your Field of View (FOV) because the panel will reflect the source like a mirror. There is no reason to ever dismiss a product due to poor implementation by the user.

This uses a "VA" or "Vertical Alignment" panel which provides much better color, contrast, and viewing angles VS. "TN" or "Twisted Nematic" which is found on most LCD monitors. The only panels that are better would be "IPS" or "In-Plane Switching" which provide specs beyond that of the "VA" but cost much more.

This Monitor is perhaps, if not the best, then definitely in the top 2 greatest price/performance displays I have ever seen in modern design. What you get for the price is amazing, I've used many high quality displays, and the others in this range cost much, much more. The Response time is a tad bit high, but very nice for a "VA" Panel. It is still great for gaming, I play BF3 myself and have had no issues with ghosting, or trailing.

FEATURES:
On the right side bottom corner of the glass screen, are the touch sensitive buttons for power and display adjustments. These buttons work like modern smart phones in which they use a "digitizer" instead of physical buttons, and need only to be touched like the touchscreen of a phone. They are very responsive and won't accidentally activate another button if pressed too close. Also located just below is a power/standby LED which has it's light diffused to show a soft white glow rather than a blinding annoyance found on many other monitors.

The Stand is well constructed and simplistic. No tools are required and there is hardly any "wiggle" when the environment gets shaky.

This is where I took off for features. This monitor doesn't utilize a DVI port. It has a VGA and HDMI port, but for some reason doesn't use DVI as well. I would have much prefered to use this connection instead due to the ability to get the same digital picture quality as HDMI (they are actually the same thing, DVI just lacks the audio pass-through) but with the security of two mounting screws like the VGA adapter.

This monitor is proof that Tech Specs on paper don't mean everything. I went from an IPS to this VA panel and haven't looked back. -Well I've hit the maximum :)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I appreciate you time in the matter, and hope you have a great day. Thank You.
Sincerely,
Andrew H.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 09:00

Andrew H,

Checking on the review. By the way, on both my PCs (XP+GeForce 8600GTS, XP+GeForce GTX650), there is not an option to enable CyCbCr444 in the Nvidia Control Panel Adjust Desktop Color Settings.

July 30th, 2013 17:00

Thank you, I appreciate your time.

-That's very interesting, if your EDID is correct and Nvidia/Windows identifies the monitor's model then the display itself may be incapable of displaying that color format. Each monitor I've owned for the last few years have been capable, although have never been necessary to display colors correctly until I purchased my 'S2440L' (not a drawback in the slightest). Since it's a digital color output, it won't be available via VGA. (Although I know you are already aware of that) It can be verified whether the monitor is capable by checking its OSD Menu and seeing if "Input Color Format" is an available option, it should show YPbPr besides the RGB default, but it may be 'grayed out' depending on the preset display mode that is selected.

Below is a link to a screenshot showing the option available in the 'Nvidia Control Panel' in conjunction with the S2440L.

docs.google.com/.../edit

*EDIT* Actually, I didn't specify it on the review written that the 'YCbCr444' is only available when using a digital connection (HDMI/DVI-HDMI/DP-HDMI) which is definitely a mistake on my part which would need to be corrected and specified, although I did run out of available characters and would need to make space...

No Events found!