Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2012 18:00

S199WFP

I have two S199WFP monitors connected to my OptiPlex 780. One monitor works fine, but the other one blinks out after a few seconds. I can get the monitor to come back on if I press the on/off switch ... but it still only stays on for a few seconds. Sometimes, if I am quick, I can start using interacting with a program  (say, Chrome) on the monitor, and the monitor WILL stay on. (Weird.)

I have swapped every wire I can, and the same monitor keeps blinking out.

Is my monitor toast? Is there a setting I can modify? Do I have a "safe mode" turned on (or something like that). Is it possible that I have not (somehow) configured my OptiPlex to manage two monitors?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

I think the monitor is faulty. Have you tried using this monitor only, without the good one? Try and test it, see if it will shut down, or better try this monitor to a different computer.

Post back for results, glad to help.

28 Posts

April 5th, 2012 22:00

Hello Elijah.

I tried both your suggestions, and it appears I got contradictory results.

First, I tried to use the "bad" monitor without the good one on the original computer. It still did not work. I have an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series display adapter on that computer. (I uninstalled and re-installed the driver, but that did not solve the problem.)

I then tried the "bad" monitor on a second computer ... and it did work. The brightness of the screen briefly flickered once, but then it worked fine. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS display adapter on the second computer.

I'll have to admit that I cannot make heads or tails of these results. Can you? lol

Steve

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 7th, 2012 22:00

Hi Steve,

That's kinda weird :) On those 2 video cards, what port are you trying to use to test the computer? VGA or Dvi? How about the video cables?

I suggest try the "bad" monitor in this Nvidia card for couple of days and observe it.

Regards,

28 Posts

April 17th, 2012 20:00

Hello Elijah.

I tried the "bad" monitor on the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS card for several days, and it works just fine. Interestingly, the "good" monitor that I left on the OptiPlex 780 has now ALSO started to blink and go black. There's some kind of 'degradation' effect going on with OptiPlex 780.

I am using a DVI port on the OptiPlex 780, and a VGA port on the other 'test' computer. I am using different cables on the two computers ... but only because the ports are different.

I think I have a port or cable issue of some kind. What do you think I should try next?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2012 01:00

Hi Steve,

You have to test a different cable for this computer. Make sure its a known good. And also you can try reseating the card inside the computer, sometimes its not reseated correctly. Then observe this 780. We now ruled out that suspected bad monitor is working fine. We will focus on cable, video card port and connection between card and motherboard inside the computer.

Regards,

28 Posts

April 18th, 2012 11:00

Elijah,

I need to make a modification to my previous post.

The port I'm using on my S199WFP monitor is a DVI port. However, I'm connecting the monitor to a "Dell DisplayPort" (whatever that is) on my OptiPlex. I'm using a DP2DVI cable connector (made by Molex) to do it. Is this information relevant? Should I be looking for a single cable that goes from a DVI port to a "Dell DisplayPort"? Or is it possible that my Dell monitor simply doesn't support the Dell DisplayPort?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 19th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

So how do you connect the 2 monitors in this opti780? To my observations, i think you are having trouble with the minidisplay port in your 780.

28 Posts

April 19th, 2012 04:00

Near the base of the OptiPlex 780 (on the back), there are two DisplayPorts. I presume there is a card of some sort that's been added to the computer. On each monitor, I attach a DVI cable. Then, I attach a (smaller) DP2DVI cable connector. Then I plug each cable into a DisplayPort.

Steve

28 Posts

April 20th, 2012 09:00

Elijah,

Maybe my next step should be to open the OptiPlex and see what "card" I have that is giving me two DispayPorts. Should I just use a DVI splitter cable on one DVI port? Or will I lose some sort of functionality if I do that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 01:00

You can use a splitter. But I am not sure if you can still use an extended monitor function if you do that. Try checking what kind of card it is at the back, but take note, in OPTI 780, there is one integrated Display port at the back neat the parallel port.

Regards,

28 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 19:00

Elijah,

Excellent call-out my man. The DisplayPort (as well as a female DVI port) were covered by a plastic cover, so I had not seen them. I plugged a monitor into the DisplayPort and received the following message:

This computer has both a display port monitor and attached and a card installed in PCI-Express slot 1. This configuration is not supported. Please remove the PCI-Express card or disconnect the display port monitor.

I disconnected the DisplayPort monitor and connected a monitor to the female DVI port. That didn't work either. I received the following error message:

This computer has an add-in graphics card, but the monitor cable is plugged into the integrated video connector.

My add-in graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series display adapter with two (2) DisplayPorts. Presumably, it is mounted in my PCI-Express slot 1.

In a way, I'm back to where I started. Perhaps my best bet is to buy a low profile display adapter with two female DVI ports (if one exists). That way, I (a) dump the DP2DVI cable connector cables and (b) replace a display adapter with potentially bad display ports.

How does this look?:

http://www.amazon.com/EN210-SILENT-DI-1GD3-V2/dp/B004I8W4VI/ref=lh_ni_t

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2012 04:00

Nice! :)  Just check the power rating of that Card, so that you dont have to upgrade your power supply.

Regards,

28 Posts

April 24th, 2012 13:00

How do I do THAT? I don't even know what a power rating is! lol

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2012 18:00

It is the specifics of your Power Supply :) Probably you have 300-350W.

No Events found!