Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2014 06:00

S2340L - no display on HDMI input

I have a brand new S2340L monitor with drivers installed . The monitor works just fine through VGA input. But it does not display anything when connecting with HDMI except for this message "No HDMI Cable - The display will go into Power Save Mod in 5 minutes". I have already select the input source to HDMI but problem still persist. I tried using another HDMI cables and even tried the monitor with another devices it still give the same result. In the PC display setting it does detect the monitor with HDMI "DELL S2340L(HDMI)" but why does the monitor cannot detect the HDMI cable???

Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/hfGXk

I'm currently using Windows 8.1 OS.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 06:00

mnmahir,

When looking at the Screen Resolution jpg, it list Computer 1. What is computer 1, a laptop?

7 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 07:00

Hi,

Sorry if the picture confuse you. I'm actually connecting both HDMI and VGA on the same monitor.  "1." is the display connected with HDMI and "2." is the display connected with VGA. Currently I'm using the "2" display which is connected with VGA and the "1" display which is connected with HDMI is being disabled so I can see the screen through VGA input since HDMI input is not possible.

here is the new screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/9UNNyis.png

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

You cannot have one computer connected to both of the monitor inputs at the same time. I think that is what you are doing?

* Turn the monitor and laptop(?) off
* Disconnect all cabling from the monitor including the power cord
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the computer
* Press the monitor power button in for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* Turn on the computer
* Turn on the monitor
* Connect the HDMI cable to the computer HDMI out port
* Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI in port on the monitor

What appears on the screen?

7 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 18:00

I have tried follow your instruction but same thing appears on the screen "No HDMI cable".

Yes, I  connect one computer to both monitor inputs (HDMI+VGA) but same thing will happen even I use only HDMI input without the VGA.

Here is a picture I tested with dual monitor: http://imgur.com/81hDuEU

and also screenshot/printscreen test: http://imgur.com/JK8F6ak

As you can see in the 2nd display the computer detects S2340L monitor with HDMI as #1 display but on the S2340L monitor screen it only display "No HDMI Cable" message. Why won't the monitor display anything??

I don't think it's my computer fault because the HDMI port from my computer's GPU works fine on another monitor or HDTV.

I found a thread which I think he also might having the same problem as me:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19532618.aspx (but I'm not on Apple devices)

Please help me solve this problem. This is my first HDMI monitor with Dell and it already scares me to buy another Dell HDMI monitors in the future.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2014 06:00

You must do each and everyone of these steps...

* Turn the monitor and laptop off
* Disconnect all cabling from the monitor including the power cord
* Disconnect all monitor cabling from the computer
* Press the monitor power button in for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* Turn on the computer
* Turn on the monitor
* Connect the HDMI cable to the computer HDMI out port
* Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI in port on the monitor

7 Posts

February 4th, 2014 20:00

I followed each of every step by step for 10 times already. The monitor start with auto select input source with "No VGA cable" message. I tried change the input source to HDMI it still give me "no HDMI cable" message.

By the way, what can the monitor do when pressing the monitor power button for 10 seconds while the monitor power cord is disconnected?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 05:00

To me, this sounds like a HDMI cable fault or a computer HDMI fault. The 10 second thing "resets" the monitor to factory defaults. What specific computer is this? What video card is in this computer? List every available video out port on this computer.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2014 06:00

It's a PC not a laptop...

My computer specs:

• Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz
  • RAM: 8GB
  • Video card: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X
    • Available video out port:
    • 1 x HDMI (with 3D)
    • 1 x DisplayPort
    • 1 x Dual-Link DVI-D
    • 1 x Dual-Link DVI-I

I don't think the HDMI cable or the computer HDMI is faulty. I tried using the same cable on another monitor and my HDTV it worked fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 06:00

Connect the monitor through your DVI-I to VGA setup. Then go into the AMD Catalyst Control Center and make sure HDMI output is set to 1920x1080 60Hz. Then try the HDMI to HDMI setup again.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

How do I make sure HDMI output is set to 1920x1080, 60hz? I can't find the HDMI output settings.

Is this right?

It's already 1920x1080, 60hz by default.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 22:00

I think HDMI is considered HDTV by AMD. So look for Digital Panel Properties or HDTV Support somewhere in there.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

Today I went to the store where I bought the monitor to test the monitor. They said it could be some electronic part inside the monitor which is use to process image from HDMI signal were defective. Then they exchange the monitor for a new one. The new one is functioning properly with HDMI cable.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

1 Message

January 8th, 2015 12:00

I had the same problem. The solution is much simpler. The monitor is set to VGA. You have to use the monitor's menu to select the HMDI port. You access the monitor menu from the bottom right corner. Just touch it. Select input source. Then it will show you arrows to move up and down to select the hmdi port. 

Frustrating problem, easy solution.

Dell tech support helped me.

No Events found!