Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2013 11:00

S2340T Registration and Volume Control

Dear All,

Hope someone could help me with the following couple of items, further to my recent purchase & install of a S2340T Dell multi-touch monitor:

1. I am in the "habit" of registering all my products with their respective manufacturers. Seemingly however, for Dell products to get registered one needs a "Service Tag", and such a Tag is provided only for 27" or larger monitors (smaller ones have only an Order # on their packing boxes). So how am I to actually register this new and VERY expensive monitor of mine with Dell?

2. I am using the S2340T both as a PC monitor (via the DisplayPort + USB-upstream connectors) AND as a TV monitor (via the HDMI connector); swithching between the two fuctions is done by selecting the input from the buttons on the bottom-right side of the monitor. Also, sound generated by the PC is handled by the loudspeakers connected to the PC's sound card, while sound generated by the cables box set is handled (via the HDMI connection) by the speakers built into the S2340T's base. Given the configuration above, here's my question: how can I (at any given moment) control the VOLUME of the built-in loudspeakers when watching TV (volume higher / lower / mute), as there seem to be no volume control buttons on the monitor, and the PC volume controls (from the keyboard) affect the speakers connected to the sound card and not those built into the monitor (despite the USB-upstream connection)? Any helpful info you could provide on any of the above will be most appreciated.

Happy Weekend,
Eric

September 7th, 2013 02:00

Hi Eric,

I regret to inform you that as of now there is no hardware to control the volume of inbuilt speakers of monitor wirelessly. There is software utility Dell Display Manager which can be used to control various monitor functions. You may download it from Here after selecting the correct version of operating system installed in your system. However, the above utility also can control the functions only from within the computer's operating system. I am not sure whether this application might help if you are using the monitor for watching TV via HDMI using a set top box or external source as audio video input. 

I would like to share that usually when we use the monitor for watching TV via HDMI, the TV functions are controlled by set top box and the monitor receives the audio video signals from it. A remote is provided along-with set top box for changing the the channels and you should be able to control volume and mute as well. However, I am not sure if the above is applicable to your situation or not.

Thank you for sharing your perspective about volume controls in monitor; appreciate it. Unfortunately, the integration of above feature via driver update might not be possible as it will require a hardware/firmware integration as well.

September 6th, 2013 22:00

Hi Eric,

The registration of monitors is not required. If you face any issues and wish to claim the warranty, you should have the order number (if purchased directly from Dell) or the original invoice (if purchased from a retailer or third party seller). 

Also, for controlling the volume, you may access the monitor menu and adjust the volume in Audio Settings. For step by step instructions, you may refer to User's Guide Here.

Hope this helps.

8 Posts

September 7th, 2013 00:00

Dear Sundeep,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

The fact that registration is not required is kind of reassuring, although the whole of Dell's software update system relies on that Service Tag too (of course, I can always go and manually search by model, but ...)

As for the Volume Control, the Audio Settings is great for an initial setting, but not for immediate access (just as one would use the living's room TV's remote control); just try to mute in a second when the phone rings ...

Is there no way to control those loudspeakers via software (from the keyboard) or with an additional IR remote control (with the receiver being connected to one of the USB outputs on the monitor's base)?

If no viable option exists today, maybe one could be developed with an upcoming update of the drivers?

Thanks again for your support,

Sincerely,

Eric T.

8 Posts

September 7th, 2013 03:00

Dear Sundeep,

Again, thank you for the very prompt & extensive reply.

Indeed, the set top box does have its own remote control, but that RC can control the box's channels; the volume functions on the RC are meant to be used with the TV itself, after pairing it with the TV set one uses (as a replacement for the TV's own RC). Accordingly, as (for now) there is no way to pair the RC with the S2340T, there is also no way to use the RC for controlling the volume on the monitor ...

As for the Display Manager, I do have it installed, but it can work ONLY if the Monitor's speakers are set as the default speakers of the PC (not in my configuration).

Which brings me back to my previous suggestion, of attempting to provide a software solution to the volume control issue; even if a firmware update is necessary for this, it can always be performed by flashing the firmware with an adequate new version (for as long as there is no need to actually modify the hardware, internally!). Also, just as a different possible solution to the issue, an RC + dongle (receiver, connected to one of the Monitor's USB connectors, or in-line on the HDMI connector, between the set top box and the monitor) could be used to gain control of the speakers' volume.

Could you forward these suggestions to the relevant people at Dell? It would improve usability of this otherwise outstanding Monitor / [almost] Dock-station by so much ...

Thanks again for your help,

Kindly,

Eric

September 7th, 2013 04:00

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately, it would not be possible to integrate this feature by just upgrading the firmware of the monitor. The feature you have requested would need to be integrated in the design of monitor and the entire architecture of monitor will need redesigning and that might not be possible at this stage. However, I have taken the feedback and will share it with the concerned teams.

No Events found!